Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Rav4, Tri-motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
File this under, “Don’t let your mouth write checks our ass can’t cash.”

———————————————-

Rivian’s “Tank Turn” feature for R1T and R1S officially delayed
RIVIAN R1T TANK TURN (CREDIT: RIVIAN/YOUTUBE)
Tesla Cybertruck Rivian’s “Tank Turn” feature for R1T and R1S officially delayed D98-9CA5-73E392C47C18_1_105_c-e1601883033165-80x80

ByMaria Merano
Posted on September 9, 2021

Rivian’s signature “Tank Turn” feature has been formally delayed. While the feature itself is unique and sets apart the R1T and R1S from both combustion-powered and all-electric rivals, “Tank Turn” simply proved to be far too complex and tricky to make it to the flagship pickup truck’s launch.

The Rivian R1T’s “Tank Turn” demonstration caught the internet’s attention in December 2019, mainly due to its undeniable cool factor. Using the R1T’s quad-motor setup, “Tank Turn” allowed the all-electric pickup truck to spin in place by having the motors and wheels on one side rotating forward and the motors and wheels on the other side rotating backwards simultaneously.

The concept for “Tank Turn” seemed simple enough. However, the feature proved much harder to program than expected, according to a statement from R1T chief engineer Charles Sanderson to MotorTrend. As it turned out, getting vehicles to perform smooth “Tank Turns” consistently and safely was no joke. The company’s video from 2019 represented the best-case scenario, and Sanderson noted that the Rivian team was lucky enough to capture it on the first try.

Sanderson explained that unless conditions are perfect, each wheel in the R1T and R1S can have a different amount of grip. This meant that some wheels would require more or less power to break traction and initiate the “Tank Turn” maneuver. Putting too much or too little power on a specific wheel during a “Tank Turn” could result in the vehicle spinning off in one direction instead of in place, which could easily be a safety issue.

There were also challenges with the R1T and R1S’ wheelbase. Since the distance between the front and rear axles was not the same as the distance between the wheels on either side of the vehicle, there were times when “Tank Turn” ended up rotating off-center. The R1T and R1S also end up in the mercy of physics once the wheels break traction, so any imperfections on the surface, such as a slight incline, could result in the vehicle sliding in one direction as it spins. The speeds involved in “Tank Turn’s” spinning movement are no joke as well, so drivers and passengers may end up feeling nauseous.

While the R1T and the R1S will not have “Tank Turn” when they are released, the company’s engineers are working hard to ensure that the signature feature is as safe as possible when it gets rolled out. For now, however, Sanderson noted that the majority of Rivian’s resources are focused solely on the smooth rollout of the R1T, R1S, and its all-electric custom Amazon delivery vans.

Watch the video demonstration of Rivian’s “Tank Turn” feature below!

https://www.teslarati.com/rivian-tank-turn-delayed/
Sponsored

DMC-81

First Name
Dana
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Transformers Camaro SS, 1985 Corvette Z51, Dodge Magnum R/T, 1981 DeLorean, CT reservation
Country flag
This doesn't surprise me. While performing the maneuver on a slippery muddy patch is relatively easy, they have to program the feature for all conditions before releasing it to production. Despite writing instructions in the owners manual that warns that it is to be used in low traction areas, all it would take is for a "hold my beer and watch this" idiot to try it on dry pavement resulting in a crash (and having the whole thing on video).

To me, tank turn is gimmicky, while the crab walk has some more helpful use cases.

Last edited:

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
To me, tank turn is gimmicky, while the crab walk has some more helpful use cases.
For most people they are both gimmicky. Unless it's something super automatic, most people aren't going to be able to figure it out or will screw it up. I love the idea of both wheels turning and "crab walking" between lanes, that can be automatic and seamless.

I suspect if Tesla can't make something which is automatic and seamless they won't bother. Any time the driver has to make an unnecessary decision is considered an error by Tesla (Ok Musk same thing).

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
Any time the driver has to make an unnecessary decision is considered an error
Appropriating comment and adapting to my use. Also claiming ownership for the phrase. ?

“… my new Rivian can do tank turns.”

”Wow, show me”

”hold my beer”
”Where are you going?”
”I need to find a muddy field….”

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Appropriating comment and adapting to my use. Also claiming ownership for the phrase. ?
Insurance fraud, lying during job application, **AND NOW** Plagiarism.

?
✌
?

Quote is interpolated from something Musk has said a few times (actual comment at ~1:50).

electricAK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck dual-motor
Country flag
Yup. Tank turn is a terrible idea. Always has been. The number of situations you can actually use it in, where you actually need it, are virtually zero. And I guarantee people will try it in less-than ideal conditions and get themselves stuck in a ditch or off a cliff. Terrible, terrible idea!

electricAK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck dual-motor
Country flag
I can think of lots of situations.
-Crissa
Maybe I'm not being imaginative enough?

Every time I've been back on a dirt/mud road where there's no room for a normal turnaround, there are circumstances that would prevent a tank turn from working. Those include ruts, steep grade, enbankments, rocks (there are ALWAYS rocks), logs, bushes, etc. Any of those within the turning radius will throw the vehicle off course and into a ditch, or damage the vehicle. And the worst part is that the tank turn only works quite fast. There is no slow tank turn, so when the wheel does catch a rock or obstacle, things happen faster than you can correct. Maybe the software will be able to correct lightning-fast, but you're still going to end up only half turned and probably not on the road. You also might end up deep in sand, mud, or snow making it hard to get out.

Notice in the Rivian video of the tank turn, there's a ton of room for a normal turnaround. That's the only situation you would actually be able to do the tank turn. So, fun trick, but it's 100% useless for actually turning around.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I can think of lots of situations.
I've been in situations where I'd want it. None where I *need* it though.

The big problem I see is most of those situations I can back out of, might require backing up a quarter mile down a skinny ass road, but I *can* back out. Now imagine doing a tank turn on one of these super skinny forest roads and something goes a little wrong and a sensor says "Cannot continue tank turn" or something...

Now I'm sideways on a super skinny forest road with the front of my truck and the back of my truck in the bushes or near a ditch.

So yes, tank turn is neat, but it absolutely cannot fail halfway through. It has to be spot on or you risk putting someone in a a much worse position than they started. The places where you are most likely to need this kind of feature are the ones where the options are the fewest.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Ehh, people put themselves into bad spots all the time.

I don't think this is any different.

-Crissa
Sure... but when you put your car in a bad place because a gimmicky feature on a truck fails, suddenly it's the manufacturers fault and they have potential liability or at least bad press.

It's risk management. I doubt this will ever see the light of day in a production truck. The feature has already done it's job, it got tons of positive press for Rivian. I doubt they will spend the engineering time to get it working well enough for production.

Revoltlution

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius (CyberSlug)
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
gimmick full-send imo. @Ogre and @electricAK said if well.
Additionally, to initiate a tank turn you have to ramp up with A LOT of energy in wheel spin (a mostly out-of-control experience). Then with your spinning sensors out of whack and truck inertia engaged, it would be difficult to stop on a dime.
I'm not buying it.

UpToNoGood

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Tacoma 4x4, 2015 Super Tenere
Occupation
Cyber stuff
Country flag
Maybe they previewed the tank turn to get Tesla back to the drawing board and intentionally delay them so Rivian can beat CT to production.

Kind of like when Regan claimed we had Star Wars project and bankrupted Russia.
Sponsored