Gurule92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MYP
Occupation
"Cyber" stuff
Country flag
I would buy a R1T if there was not CyberTruck. But, I'm getting a CyberTruck because it's RAD

I would buy a R1T if there was no Cybertruck. But, I will be getting a Cybertruck.
This was my thought until lighting flash got announced. Now I think that might be my backup
Sponsored

KrodEKid

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota corolla, Mazda 5
Country flag
2 reasons why I have Cybertruck reservation and no Rivian sitting in my driveway
1) cost
2) I believe Tesla has best proven battery tech and management. Which in my mind equals better chance for greater vehicle longevity and efficiency

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Tacoma TRD Pro
Country flag
I happen to like RJ as a person but he is SO wrong on his comments regarding the Cybertruck. I viewed his comments as more of a PR move to help reinsure investors.

You know that the entire leadership team at Rivian will be watching the Delivery Day livestream event to see pricing, trims and specifications.

I truly feel that the American public is bored with the same old pickup truck design and are ready for something radically different from what the Big 3 keep turning out. It’s basically the same truck with refreshes every 3-years to help keep buyers interested.

If the DM Cybertruck is priced around $65k a lot of Rivian R1T and Ford Lightning shoppers will start looking at the Cybertruck.

Regenshire

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 RWD LR, Model Y Perf, CyberTruck AWD Order
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Cost is a huge factor. Until we know the price of the Cybertruck its difficult to know how it might disrupt the sales of other EV Trucks.

Pricing IMO is the biggest factor affecting sales moving forward. Current offering are just too high for most of the market to realistically consider.

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Tacoma TRD Pro
Country flag
I fully agree. Cybertruck pricing will be critical to the sales success of the Cybertruck.

Yes, Tesla received tons of deposits at the 2019 MSRP’s. The real question is whether reservation holders will convert those deposits to actual sales transactions at the new 2024 MSRP’s.

Neo

First Name
Neo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Cayenne Turbo | Toyota Highlander Hybrid
Occupation
Professional
Country flag
I don't think he's wrong...

What I believe the rest of the World perceives is this, sure you have your 2% slice, but the CyberTuck will be the rest of the pie.

That still doesn't make him wrong, what he is saying is true the market isn't 100% CT.

What Tesla has over EVERYONE else is the ecosystem and for me this means a few major items:
1. Charging Network
2. VTG - I know it isn't here yet, but when it does arrive the CT and Taj-Ma-Haul will be united
3. Superior Engineering (design, build, Autonomy, OTA, etc.) this point can't be over-rated

Neo

RayzorBEV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Rivian R1T QM, R1S QM, Zero S ZF
Occupation
Electric Bum
Country flag
Agreed. I'm getting both. My 2nd Rivian R1T is scheduled for home delivery tomorrow and my Cybertruck, maybe 1st quarter of 2024 🤓

RVAC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
-
With the changes that have been made to the Cybertruck there is more overlap now than there once was. May have been intentional on Tesla's part.

BayouCityBob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3
Country flag
The R1T is not Rivian's primary product. 70% of sales and orders are the R1S. The R1T is not its primary segment.

For the small-footprint pickup market (214 inches long), the R1T is distinctive versus the full-sized electric pickups like the lightning at 233 inches. CT may split the difference. We shall see...

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
CT will have an impact on R1T sales but not sure how much impact it will have on Rivian. Rivian sells more R1S but it's survival depends on R2 platform, how it is designed and how it is priced. R1 job is helping them make it to that point. That said, CT will have a better charging network and better support infrastructure than R1T. For someone that wants a feel good EV truck, there are not many choices out there now.

All that said the more the merrier. I got lower price Lightning simply due to idea of CT may be someday being out there. I got a tolerable purchasing experience at Ford dealer because Tesla and Rivian purchase experience exist. And we will probably see a little more reasonable Silverado pricing down the road because of CT. I want as many of them out there as possible.

p.s. In addition to R1T and R1S, I see more Rivian Vans around me. Even though I passed on R1, I am keeping my fingers crossed the company survives.

SlegMD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus
Occupation
Physical therapy
Country flag
Agreed. I'm getting both. My 2nd Rivian R1T is scheduled for home delivery tomorrow and my Cybertruck, maybe 1st quarter of 2024 🤓
Bet you’re excited about your new R1T, congrats! I am curious, why purchase a similar vehicle class?

Art O'Connor

First Name
Art
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck (reserved), 2010 Chevrolet K2500HD PU
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Country flag
The Rivian does not compare with the CT. R1T is about the size of a Ranger. The CT is supposed to be about the size of an F-150. The R1T is too small to be useful for me. I could not fit my two German Shepherds in the R1T. I can fit them in a Model X with two row seating, but not a sheet of plywood. With "Muti-Flex Midgate", like the Chevy, the CT will be ideal for me.

EVSport7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC Sierra
Country flag
The R1T is not Rivian's primary product. 70% of sales and orders are the R1S. The R1T is not its primary segment.

For the small-footprint pickup market (214 inches long), the R1T is distinctive versus the full-sized electric pickups like the lightning at 233 inches. CT may split the difference. We shall see...
Yep, I've been saying this to a buddy with a Rivian. The play for them is the SUV. The pickup is a very niche luxury outdoorsy thing. Still really nice but not really in the regular pickup demographics. CT is going to target more of the "do it all market" that most suburbanites expect of a family vehicle

ÆCIII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
I do like the dash layout, displays, and of course the EV costs of ownership in the Rivians, but that's where it ends for me.

I think one problem is with the Rivian front end with Dyson fan motif headlamp rings that are non-cohesive with any other part of the truck (or any other vehicle for that matter), which are actually repulsing some would-be buyers away.

The CT also has very different styling, but at least it's cohesive front to back.

IMO Rivian shouldn't be talking about others 'luring' but instead should be paying more attention to closer concerns.

- ÆCIII

RayzorBEV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Rivian R1T QM, R1S QM, Zero S ZF
Occupation
Electric Bum
Country flag
Bet you’re excited about your new R1T, congrats! I am curious, why purchase a similar vehicle class?
To clarify. I sold my 1st 2022 R1T and purchased a 2023 R1S but then I really missed my R1T hence, this 2nd R1T. As much as people think that the Cybertruck and the R1T are in the same class. Nope, Cybertruck is really a full sized Electric Truck (ET) with some off road capability and a 6ft bed. My mid-sized R1T is a Quad-Motor, designed from the start as an off road oriented ET with a 5.5ft bed. Not the same, at least to me, anyway 🤓
Sponsored