Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
Rivian just pulled a Lightning. Their prices for existing reservation holders for the vehicle and many options has significantly increased. I think this should be expected for CT as well even if Tesla has not done that in the past.

Tesla Cybertruck Rivian Price Bump 1646175468429
Sponsored

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
https://www.slashgear.com/784379/rivian-price-change-takes-immediate-effect-the-details/

They try to cushion the blow by adding a dual motor config to the mix at the same time.

This is a 17% increase. A similar increase on the Cybertruck would put the dual motor at $58k and the single motor at $47k and the quad (formerly tri) at $82k.

That would suck. As @Crissa said though, Tesla has more leverage and price advantages here.

Tesla also needs to move a lot more trucks.

Dusty

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Model Y Performance
Occupation
Creator
Country flag
Glad I reserved mine in January! Too bad I won't get it before 2025 at their current build rate.

This also reminds me of the fact that I tried to talk my sister into getting a Model Y last fall. She stalled one month and it went from a delivery in January to a delivery in April. She opted to get a Subaru instead and they couldn't get the 2021 model as arranged (even though they took her money). So she had to get a 2022 instead. They gave it to her for the same price since they dropped the ball, which was cool, but it just arrived last week.

Seriously... If you're 1 year away from getting any vehicle, just order it now. The prices are going to keep on creeping up.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Glad I reserved mine in January! Too bad I won't get it before 2025 at their current build rate.
I thought they were upping the pricing on existing pre-orders as well? Have you done your final configuration?

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Yup, with a deposit. No emails or anything yet and nothing's changed in my account..
Seems like maybe you are in like Flynn then. You can take delivery, enjoy it for a few months, then flip it for a profit when your Cybertruck number gets tapped. ;)

SpaceYooper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
13' F150, 17' Explorer, 13' Cruz, 13' Clubman
Occupation
Retired USSF SNCO, REALTOR®
Country flag
Conserve your strength when the price is known or contemplate now for acceptance later.

I demand a price decrease!
I concur. Should be decreased $1 day for every day past the initial delivery target date.

Dusty

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Model Y Performance
Occupation
Creator
Country flag
Seems like maybe you are in like Flynn then. You can take delivery, enjoy it for a few months, then flip it for a profit when your Cybertruck number gets tapped. ;)
The Rivian forum is going BUH-NANAS. I may not be in. People are reporting emails right now. People with multiple orders are showing emails and price increases for one but not the other. The majority of the posts are from 10-11 minutes ago stating "WTF!?"

Dusty

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Model Y Performance
Occupation
Creator
Country flag
Yeeeaah... this is going to be your classic middle of the might mass email from the bad news fairy. Kind of surprised they didn't use the DC-style bad news dump where you wait and put out bad news at 4:45p on Friday. Everyone is either in traffic just trying to get home or at happy hour in weekend mode. You break up the unified initial griping until Monday if they even bother to remember. Rookies.

stimpy

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S
Country flag
I have a reservation with Rivian that I'm about to cancel. I almost canceled when they gave me a second half 2023 ETA on delivery, now I don't even see the point of keeping the reservation any longer. I probably wasn't going to purchase, but it was a decent deal at the old price. Now it's way more that I'm going to spend. My build went up 25% to over $100K.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Rivian’s management has screwed buyers and investors over again… I wish I could say I was surprised. After the shenanigans around the IPO this surprises me none.

Sorry guys. This really sucks.

Last edited:

cybguy

First Name
Pablo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Pilatus PC-12, 2016 Bolt, 2024 Forester
Occupation
Temporarily unRetired
Country flag
I still say it's unlikely for the Cybertruck, since Tesla has the massive factory advantage.

-Crissa
You're dreaming. Remember a pre-order for a Cybertruck doesn't guarantee any price or even production of the Cybertruck. If you forgot go read your pre-order agreement.. Just how long ago did Tesla remove pricing for the CT from their website. I'd be surprised if Tesla sold any CTs for the originally listed price. I'm expecting when sales begin in a couple years that prices are 25% higher than what they listed 3 years earlier. I'd also expect to see further price increases over time.

Status
Not open for further replies.