Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Rav4, Tri-motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
Rivian R1T’s first real-world towing test shows 62% range loss
CREDIT: @GIDEONTHERIVIAN | INSTAGRAM
https://www.teslarati.com/rivian-r1t-towing-test-range-loss/
Tesla Cybertruck Rivian R1T’s first real-world towing test shows 62% range loss work-pic-update-80x80

ByJoey Klender
Posted on November 29, 2021

The Rivian R1T just began deliveries before 2021’s third quarter ended. Now that owners have had some time with their Rivian pickups, the real-world tests of the features that potential buyers are curious about are beginning. One of the most significant is a real-world towing test to prove range loss, especially as Rivian has flaunted its vehicle as a capable and dominant off-road pickup capable of handling the most stressful of tasks.

Rivian claims a range loss of “about 50%” on its website when towing. The R1T has an 11,000-pound towing capacity, which is relatively standard among the industry’s pickups. However, Instagram user @gideontherivian took it into their own hands to prove range loss, which evidently resulted in a 62% degradation of the battery after just 118 miles of travel.

Tesla Cybertruck Rivian R1T’s first real-world towing test shows 62% range loss rivian-r1t-range-loss

Credit: @gideontherivian | Instagram, DriveTeslaCanada

@Gideontherivian‘s real-world towing test involves an open trailer with a Shelby Mustang GT on it, according to DriveTeslaCanada, who originally reported the story. The Shelby and the Rivian R1T, along with the trailer, the vehicle’s occupants, and additional cargo, bring a total weight of 14,260 pounds. The test is relatively extensive, as the trip is from Detroit to Los Angeles.

It is important to note that towing is one of the more stressful tasks for an EV to perform, as it requires excessive energy from the vehicle to pull something with such tremendous weight. These factors, as well as road terrain, speed of travel, altitude, and temperature can all contribute to the loss of range. It’s not just about pulling.

Tesla vehicles have been subjected to real-world towing range degradation tests in the past, proving that EVs are still extremely useful for pulling, even if it’s just a sedan. Luckily for Tesla, range loss can be combated with the company’s extensive Supercharger network, which alleviates a lot of range anxiety and concerns that drivers may have. Rivian’s charging network is still developing, but the use of Electrify America charging stations could give owners more confidence if they choose to take their new R1T for a potential pull test.
Sponsored

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
No surprises there.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
What sort of trailer was it, though? The aero matters.

-Crissa
The one I saw had a car on a flatbed… pretty bad aerodynamics Because you have the shape of the trailer then the shape of the car. Lots of stuff that gets towed is weird shaped though.

With a travel trailer or even a box trailer, you have the opportunity to get an aerodynamic one. Towing stuff on a flatbed you are pretty much at the mercy of the wind.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
The one I saw had a car on a flatbed… pretty bad aerodynamics Because you have the shape of the trailer then the shape of the car. Lots of stuff that gets towed is weird shaped though.

With a travel trailer or even a box trailer, you have the opportunity to get an aerodynamic one. Towing stuff on a flatbed you are pretty much at the mercy of the wind.
Which makes me wonder if aero dams and tarps will be more of a thing as towing starts using EVs.

-Crissa

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Likely similar effect on the Cybertruck with a similar trailer.
Which makes me wonder if aero dams and tarps will be more of a thing as towing starts using EVs.
A lot of towing is pretty short range.

More likely, what’ll happen is people who tow will just buy trucks with bigger batteries. It’s what they do with ICE.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
*groan*

I want to see Cybertrailers where everything is streamlined.
Given the choice between paying $20,000 more for the Cybertruck to get range I can use for anything versus paying $5,000 more for a special aero trailer, I‘m gonna put the money on the truck. That’s what pretty much everyone will do.

Maybe if I trailered more often?

Like I said, most people don’t trailer stuff far or often so it’s just not a huge concern.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
If it was me I’d get both. I already ordered the CT3 to get the bigger battery. So if I buy a trailer I’ll be looking for the best usefulness combined with aerodynamics.

But that’s just me.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
If it was me I’d get both. I already ordered the CT3 to get the bigger battery. So if I buy a trailer I’ll be looking for the best usefulness combined with aerodynamics.

But that’s just me.
If I’m buying a trailer I’ll use a lot, I might invest in one which is aero. But there is a huge number of used trailers out there which cost half as much as new. Very few of them are remotely aero.

The other thing is people often use rented trailers. Hopefully UHaul invests in making more aero trailers because most of theirs are pretty clunky.

No-ICE

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 Tundra
Country flag
Towing at 73 mph your range will drop significantly vs Towing at 55 mph. Just takes longer to get to your destination. So the chose is, wait longer at Supercharging stations or sit longer behind the wheel (Yoke) while towing.

N.ICE
Sponsored