Rivian stock tanks after EV maker sees production constraints hindering sales

electricAK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck dual-motor
Country flag
Interesting news on the Rivian front: (source)

Rivian stock tanks after EV maker sees production constraints hindering sales
Last Updated: Dec. 16, 2021 at 6:10 p.m. ETFirst Published: Dec. 16, 2021 at 4:32 p.m. ET
By
Claudia Assis

Rivian Automotive Inc. stock tanked late Thursday as the electric-vehicle maker posted its first financial snapshot as a public company, reporting mounting losses and facing headwinds from supply-chain snags and a tight labor market.

Rivian RIVN, -5.33% said it lost $1.2 billion, or $12.21 a share, in the third quarter, compared with a loss of $288 million, or $2.88 a share, in the year-ago quarter, on higher operating losses, the company said.

Rivian said it lost an adjusted $766 million in the quarter. Its letter to shareholders did not specify a per-share amount. Sales hit $1 million as it delivered its first few vehicles in September.

Analysts polled by FactSet expected the company to report a GAAP loss of $12.04 a share on sales of $900,000.
The stock fell more than 10% in the extended session Thursday after ending the regular trading day down 5.3%. The losses, initially mild following results, intensified as Rivian executives detailed production headwinds hindering the EV maker’s deliveries amid indications of rising demand.

“We are at a steep part of our climb, but I couldn’t be more grateful,” Chief Executive RJ Scaringe said in a call with analysts after the results. Demand is not a problem, he said. Thanks to production constraints, however, an order for one of its EVs placed today will most likely be fulfilled in 2023, Scaringe said.

The company said it had more than 71,000 preorders for its electric pickup truck, the R1, as of Dec. 15, from about 48,000 preorders in late September.
“Watching and ramping production of three different vehicles within a few months is an incredibly tough challenge,” exacerbated by ongoing global supply snags and a tight labor market, he said.

Rivian is producing electric last-mile delivery vans for backer Amazon.com Inc. AMZN, -2.56% and electric SUVs and pickup trucks that are marketed for outdoors pursuits.

Rivian will be “a couple 100 vehicles short” of its goal of producing 1,200 vehicles this year. “The good news is that we do not believe any of our supply-chain challenges are long term,” Scaringe said. “They are solvable problems.”

Rivian also announced Thursday it has chosen Georgia as the site second U.S. factory, with construction slated to start in the summer and production to start in 2024. The facility in Morgan and Walton counties is expected to employ more than 7,500 people at peak production, the EV maker said.
Rivian said its total operating expenses for the third quarter grew 141% to $694 million, with research and development expenses rising to $441 million, from $220 million a year ago. Selling, general, and administrative expenses rose to $253 million, from $68 million a year ago, as the company built up its corporate, sales, and customer-service operations, it said.

Rivian went public with a bang in November, pricing its upsized initial public offering, the largest of the year and seventh largest in the U.S. in nearly 30 years, well above its expected range. The company raised nearly $12 billion.
The first Wall Street takes on the company were mostly positive, and of the 15 analysts covering Rivian polled by FactSet, nine have buy ratings and six have hold ratings.

Rivian shares are down more than 6% so far this month, contrasting with gains of more than 4% for the S&P 500 index. SPX, -0.87%
Sponsored

OP
OP
electricAK

electricAK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck dual-motor
Country flag
“Tanks”?

Its still above it’s offering price from just a month ago.
Yeah, Tanks.

Currently down to $99.30. Down 14% today. Down 7% from IPO.

They're burning $1.2 billion per quarter. And have built about 700 vehicles. Yet they're valued 25% higher than ford. If that is a reasonable valuation, then TSLA stock should probably be around $50,000/share right now.

I like the truck, but holy moly these numbers don't inspire confidence.

OP
OP
electricAK

electricAK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck dual-motor
Country flag
Serious question here:
What are the actual chances of Rivian still existing 5 or 10 years from now? Their plan is to build a new plant in Georgia, construction starting this summer. Maybe Amazon and Ford are willing to bankroll this, but then what?

By 2025 when Rivian's output is finally ramping, the EV competition will be full on from several manufacturers. I'm sure people said the same thing about Tesla back in the day, but Tesla has Musk, and Musk has some of the most talented designers and engineers on Earth, who succeeded in automating, inventing, and improving the vehicle production process. And they didn't need to rush, and there was no competition. Now They've created a hardware, software, and AI dynasty that is a decade or more ahead of even the established OEM's.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Yeah, Tanks.

Currently down to $99.30. Down 14% today. Down 7% from IPO.

They're burning $1.2 billion per quarter. And have built about 700 vehicles. Yet they're valued 25% higher than ford. If that is a reasonable valuation, then TSLA stock should probably be around $50,000/share right now.

I like the truck, but holy moly these numbers don't inspire confidence.
I thought it IPOed at $80/ share, I forgot they bumped it.

Honestly, I’d have thought the lethargic production numbers would have put people off more and it would be more like down 30%.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Serious question here:
What are the actual chances of Rivian still existing 5 or 10 years from now? Their plan is to build a new plant in Georgia, construction starting this summer. Maybe Amazon and Ford are willing to bankroll this, but then what?

By 2025 when Rivian's output is finally ramping, the EV competition will be full on from several manufacturers. I'm sure people said the same thing about Tesla back in the day, but Tesla has Musk, and Musk has some of the most talented designers and engineers on Earth, who succeeded in automating, inventing, and improving the vehicle production process. And they didn't need to rush, and there was no competition. Now They've created a hardware, software, and AI dynasty that is a decade or more ahead of even the established OEM's.
I have no idea.

The company is 12 years old. They’ve owned this factory for 4 years. They have 10,000 employees and have produced 600 trucks. They are trying to launch 3 vehicles and can’t seem to get even the first out the door. They are seemingly no closer to production now then when they publicly said there were starting deliveries 3 months ago.

I kind of feel like they pulled a fast one around their IPO and production launch date so I’m very much cautious about any statements the company makes at this point.

They do have Amazon backing them which might help? But I can’t see how they are in a position to build out quick enough to make a difference.

Ehninger1212

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3 E-Tron - 2005 Land Rover LR3 - T-Bucket - 1951 chevy 3100
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag
I'v been eyeing this stock for a while since IPO.. might pick up some just to see how this all plays out. I like Lucid as well.
Sponsored