Leigh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CyberTruck Ticket Holder, Ford Ranger, Mini Coup
Occupation
Airline Inspector
Country flag
SO much of it is based on the experience available. When I am in Europe I almost never rent a car. The public transportation is fantastic and reliable. The convenience of not having to park a car and deal with so many of the differences in language of road signs or the laws that are different make it even more attractive.
Sponsored

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
SO much of it is based on the experience available. When I am in Europe I almost never rent a car. The public transportation is fantastic and reliable. The convenience of not having to park a car and deal with so many of the differences in language of road signs or the laws that are different make it even more attractive.
Never forget in EUR the Diesel pump handle has the GREEN boot - Gas is BLACK!

You’re good to go!

OP
OP
Crissa

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I think my opposition to the special lanes for all the different types of vehicles is that...
1. Who pays for the bike lanes. Is it taxes on bike registrations?
2. Why does public transportation always need such high subsidization? If everyone loves it so much why are only poor people utilizing it? Why can't it pay for itself with fares?
3. Everyone wants to ride in a car by themselves. This is obvious since everyone is doing it. Attempting to change what people want by making it less attractive and making other things more attractive doesn't increase happiness.
  1. Nowhere are roads primarily paid for via registration.
  2. Because of point #1. It's a public good; without public paths, people couldn't travel, live, have commerce.
  3. Those personal cars take up a real amount of space (about of fifth of all real estate in US cities in roads, some downtowns half of all real estate is devoted to parking), kill a real number of people (via collisions and pollution), and waste a real amount of time and isolation in those who cannot drive.
Roads are a public good, which is why we all pay for them. And they should then be used as a public good, not a private one.

-Crissa

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
  1. Nowhere are roads primarily paid for via registration.
  2. Because of point #1. It's a public good; without public paths, people couldn't travel, live, have commerce.
  3. Those personal cars take up a real amount of space (about of fifth of all real estate in US cities in roads, some downtowns half of all real estate is devoted to parking), kill a real number of people (via collisions and pollution), and waste a real amount of time and isolation in those who cannot drive.
Roads are a public good, which is why we all pay for them. And they should then be used as a public good, not a private one.

-Crissa
They should get the boring company to put bike lanes underground. That way they wouldn't have to stop at red lights