Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Tesla wouldn’t bother buying out a car company, Tesla would just buy up all the relevant suppliers. Hasten the demise of ICE OEMs, and accelerate the expansion curve.
I don’t think Elon would do anything with the purpose of putting anyone out of business.

I strongly suspect he is very sincere about wanting to help the industry convert over and become more efficient.

He spent some time with Diess from VW and the VE management team talking about how Tesla does things to help VWs management convert their processes. This isn’t the sort of thing a spiteful highly competitive guy does.

I do believe legacy auto is in for a world of hurt, but that’s a side effect, not Musks goal.

Though after all the pandering and outright lies from GM and Mary Barra… he might make an exception.
Sponsored

Richard V.

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt 2015
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I don’t think Elon would do anything with the purpose of putting anyone out of business.

I strongly suspect he is very sincere about wanting to help the industry convert over and become more efficient.

He spent some time with Diess from VW and the VE management team talking about how Tesla does things to help VWs management convert their processes. This isn’t the sort of thing a spiteful highly competitive guy does.

I do believe legacy auto is in for a world of hurt, but that’s a side effect, not Musks goal.

Though after all the pandering and outright lies from GM and Mary Barra… he might make an exception.
Agree!

Deleted member 3316

Yes that’s why I specified ICE OEMs. If they don’t transition they will fail, the quicker one of those things happen then better.

Tesla did it with Grohmann Engineering I can’t see why they wouldn’t do it with other suppliers.

I figure Zach Kirkhorn would be finding these opportunities not Musk.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Well… except for Amazon/ Blue Origin. At this point I kind of think he would destroy them just to piss Jeff Bezos off.
Yes that’s why I specified ICE OEMs. If they don’t transition they will fail, the quicker one of those things happen then better.

Tesla did it with Grohmann Engineering I can’t see why they wouldn’t do it with other suppliers.

I figure Zach Kirkhorn would be finding these opportunities not Musk.
Tesla isn’t trying to drive ICE manufacturers out of business either. They are trying to get them to convert over to produce EVs.

Tesla is not going to slow down the pace of their own production to allow ICE OEMs to “keep up”, but they aren’t going out of their way to harm them either.

OP
OP
FutureBoy

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
Did you like my answer or were you thinking of something else? The person doing the message at my reference is saying he is going to also post/say the opposite why it could be a good idea to do that soon.
Actually your link was very relevant and helped me see a possible connection.

I generally only follow links on my computer and not on my phone though so I just got to it recently when I finally got home from a business trip.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Tesla buys suppliers who have tech they want, or are in danger of failing and hence wouldn't be available when Tesla needs them. Tesla is famously vertical in their purchases, but not exclusively so - every purchase had a very specific reason. Grohmann had lost their other contracts and were in danger of failing.

-Crissa
Sponsored