Broski

First Name
Broski
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
Interesting that it didn’t come in $1K less to be sub $60K like the other trims.

Thoughts as to why? Are the margins that tight on the RWD?
Sponsored

VR Driving

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Country flag
I'm betting that the RWD will make a brief appearance in 2025 and then be canceled altogether and Tesla will lower the Dual Motor to around 60k perhaps with slightly less range or able to use less 4680 cells due to higher density cells as they can produce more efficiently after a year or so, and release the Quad to replace the current Cyberbeast position as the flagship 100k model.

Huntsman

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
Heavy Equipment Ops
Country flag
I recall Mr. Musk expressing his view on the single motor truck as being less than his desired ideal truck product after the debut. The CT is a conglomeration of a lot of truck configurations and while it can not be everything ( long bed and short wheel base ) his passion was that it be a BA truck, not an El Camino.
Pick up trucks, empty, can spin out at every intersection without any effort, especially on wet painted surfaces. The single motor variant would be susceptible to this handicap and does not make for a BA truck. After the debut, he seemed to realize that the truck needed to be AWD as a minimum, anything less than would be puny.
I too believe, he does not want to produce the single motor variant but realizes it was the product that caught everyones attention at 39,9 and he does not want to be accused of misleading marketing practices.

RandyS

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 Performance, 2021 Model Y LR
Country flag
Every manufacturer (including Tesla) sells vehicles at first release that are upper trim levels to maximize revenue. I see this for the CT as no different. With the Model 3, they unveiled it with a $35,000 general pricetag. The first vehicles were long range with premium interior and then eventually when production ramped up and they could reduce the cost of the building the car, they eventually sold a $35,000 Model 3. You had to go into the store to order it, but they sold a few that way...

I saw the 2025 date for the RWD model on the order page and in my mind thought the same thing was at play. They'll make it, just later....

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Tacoma TRD Pro
Country flag
As for the battery pack all 3 trim levels are identical. 123 kWh is what has been reported. Most likely identical for economies of scale reasons.

My guess is that the 250 range in the RWD version was limited by some software coding.

davelloydbrown

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
model 3, silverado
Occupation
veterinarian - retired
Country flag
I recall Mr. Musk expressing his view on the single motor truck as being less than his desired ideal truck product after the debut. The CT is a conglomeration of a lot of truck configurations and while it can not be everything ( long bed and short wheel base ) his passion was that it be a BA truck, not an El Camino.
Pick up trucks, empty, can spin out at every intersection without any effort, especially on wet painted surfaces. The single motor variant would be susceptible to this handicap and does not make for a BA truck. After the debut, he seemed to realize that the truck needed to be AWD as a minimum, anything less than would be puny.
I too believe, he does not want to produce the single motor variant but realizes it was the product that caught everyones attention at 39,9 and he does not want to be accused of misleading marketing practices.
Actually if you look at the numbers on the unofficial spreadsheet, most of the reservations were for the tri and duel and very few were for the single motor.

Now that the tri is so expensive and really not much range or extra towing capacity, the duel motor will be the sweet spot and a lot of disgruntled city dwellers who never go off road or drive in snow will take the single motor version.
Sponsored