Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
I know we recently had a thread about rats chewing electrical cabling....

Last night I had an issue with humans lifting my Prius onto a couple blocks of wood, reaching under clipping some electrical wires and then stealing the Oxygen sensor that is between the engine and the exhaust system. The engine still runs, but is VERY LOUD!!! now. Since this happened in the grocery store parking lot I had to move the car so it wouldn't get towed and will take it into the shop on Monday to get an estimate and fix.

I'm hoping that with Tesla vehicles having far fewer parts overall that there won't be many parts that are available to be stolen. And many of the parts would be behind the structural exoskeleton so it would be much harder to access them. Ultimately I want my vehicle to be sabotage proof. OK, someone will always be able to slash the tires. Perhaps even steal the wheels/tires if they are enterprising enough. But short of that I'm hoping it's an all-or-nothing proposition. And with the CT being as strong as it is perhaps the "nothing" option will most often win out.

In the meantime, I guess I have to go get the Prius fixed. Hopefully, the Prius parts are standardized and common enough that this repair doesn't cost a full arm and a leg.
Sponsored

MEDICALJMP

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Rav4, Tri-motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag

Last night I had an issue with humans lifting my Prius onto a couple blocks of wood, reaching under clipping some electrical wires and then stealing the Oxygen sensor that is between the engine and the exhaust system. The engine still runs, but is VERY LOUD!!! now. Since this happened in the grocery store parking lot I had to move the car so it wouldn't get towed and will take it into the shop on Monday to get an estimate and fix.

I'm hoping that with Tesla vehicles having far fewer parts overall that there won't be many parts that are available to be stolen. And many of the parts would be behind the structural exoskeleton so it would be much harder to access them. Ultimately I want my vehicle to be sabotage proof. OK, someone will always be able to slash the tires. Perhaps even steal the wheels/tires if they are enterprising enough. But short of that I'm hoping it's an all-or-nothing proposition. And with the CT being as strong as it is perhaps the "nothing" option will most often win out.

In the meantime, I guess I have to go get the Prius fixed. Hopefully, the Prius parts are standardized and common enough that this repair doesn't cost a full arm and a leg.
Reg:

Sorry to hear about that happening. Two legged rats are the worst. It must not have taken them long to do their nefarious deed since you were are the grocery store.

I do know of some Tesla badging being stolen in the past. Musk said Cybertruck would not have any (who could mistake that for anything else?). Aside from Tires/wheels it looks pretty secure.

Frankenblob

First Name
Frank, USA is the BEST. Communism SUX
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M38A-1, Trans-am
Country flag

As long as stainless steel doesnt become as expensive as gold then from what i have seen of the CT there isnt too much to steal, but then again....
Hope things work out for ya.

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
Last night I had an issue with humans lifting my Prius onto a couple blocks of wood, reaching under clipping some electrical wires and then stealing the Oxygen sensor that is between the engine and the exhaust system.
some parking lots have security camera. If you were in a well lit area specially closer to the store. There may be a record. Or if you saw a Tesla parked close to you, you may try to look for them next time you shop to get their footage. I hate it when rats get away with crap and a lot of them do these days.

OP
OP
FutureBoy

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
Hey Luke, thanks for the great info. I'll take a look. Generally for me at the moment time is more valuable than money so I tend to hire out for stuff like this. I used to do most of my own work. I've replaced carburetors, spark plugs, etc. But it has been a long time. Back in the day, I used to always buy the service manual (when it was available) whenever I bought a car.

But then I started buying brand new cars. I tend to buy new and drive them till the bitter end. The Prius I've had since 2006. So far it has needed minimal work. Well, there was a warranty issue just before the warranty ran out but other than that the only repairs needed have been general wear and tear. Then this happened. I'll live. It's just frustrating. And I'm pretty sure the person had the plan in place because they brought their own 4x4 boards to prop up the car with. Each board about 1 ft long.

It will get fixed. Everything else about the car is running perfectly with no need for extra work. It's at something like 160k miles now. Maybe even higher. Haven't looked in a while.

OP
OP
FutureBoy

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
some parking lots have security camera. If you were in a well lit area specially closer to the store. There may be a record. Or if you saw a Tesla parked close to you, you may try to look for them next time you shop to get their footage. I hate it when rats get away with crap and a lot of them do these days.
This grocery store has a patrol security guy walking around but apparently, it wasn't very suspicious that someone was jacking a car up on blocks for a while. Curiously once the issue was discovered, the police were driving by and stopped to ask what was going on. Wish they had stopped by a little earlier when the problem people were acting suspiciously.

Newton

First Name
Newton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
p̶r̶i̶u̶s̶ c̶,̶ y̶o̶t̶a̶ p̶i̶c̶k̶u̶p, ⼕丫⻏?尺セ尺ㄩ⼕长
Country flag
we had some dude steal the catalytic converter in my old toyota pickup, new 1 is welded in.

I heard the prius's were having people steal them too. I would doubt the oxygen sensors is worth enough for that kinda work/risk.

I always find it funny when i have to use a coat hanger type thing to get keys out of someones car, im sure I look super sus, but nobody says anything. Maybe becuase i look like a normal guy, or they just think the best of people, dont wanna get evolved? who knows.

Joe Maw

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fairlane
Occupation
Miner
Country flag
Hi Mate
Done a bit of research on the part,ebay has got them for under $100.
The life span of the exhaust sensors are between 60000 to 100000 miles.
If it makes you feel better it was well past its use by date.
Karmah will catch up with those theives,hope they skin their knuckles and strip the thread putting it in only to have it fail.
Cheers
Joe

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
Hi Mate
Done a bit of research on the part,ebay has got them for under $100.
The life span of the exhaust sensors are between 60000 to 100000 miles.
If it makes you feel better it was well past its use by date.
Karmah will catch up with those theives,hope they skin their knuckles and strip the thread putting it in only to have it fail.
Cheers
Joe
Future boy, Just make sure you don’t pay new part price for the same old part to be put back on your car. My uncle had two of his hub caps stolen and they tried to sell the same two back to him.

Last edited:

Ehninger1212

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3 E-Tron - 2005 Land Rover LR3 - T-Bucket - 1951 chevy 3100
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag
Whats more stupid is your are almost never supposed to splice those sensors. So it most likely wont work right for them anyways.

If they had stolen your Catalytic converter that would have made more sense to me.. those are at least worth something as scrap for the precious metals inside.

What a bunch of losers.
Sponsored