Aron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1995 Jeep YJ, 2019 Jeep Cherokee, Cybertruck Tri-motor
Occupation
Operating Manager Power Lineman
Country flag
I can’t wait to pretend to care about the environment.

bfdog

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F250, Honda Element, GX470
Country flag
That video actually had an impact on me and made me question my choice. I had not thought about the part about Lithium batteries.

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
That video actually had an impact on me and made me question my choice. I had not thought about the part about Lithium batteries.
It's true that manufacturing lithium batteries produces carbon dioxide in fact a long range BEV produces about 68% more than producing an ICE vehicle.... but within 18 months of use the BEV breaks even. Also lithium ion batteries are recycled which is never counted in well to wheels calculation. On average an ICE car would need to get 135mpg to remain competitive on emissions. If you are concerned with reducing emissions the number 1 thing you can do is eat less animal agriculture produce.

Saskateam

First Name
Aron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1995 Jeep YJ, 2019 Jeep Cherokee, Cybertruck Tri-motor
Occupation
Operating Manager Power Lineman
Country flag
Lithium mining is mostly done through solution mining. The one everyone is worried about is cobalt. Tesla started with around 12% cobalt and are down to around 3%. Cobalt is used in a lot of applications. The one I am going to highlight is Cobalts use in oil refining. When we made the switch to low sulfur fuel cobalt catalyst was introduced. Some of the cobalt used in oil refining stays in the fuel and is sent out your exhaust while driving never to be used again. The cobalt in the batteries used is completely recyclable as is the lithium and all other raw materials used. The raw materials are even better for batteries after they have been recycled.

I am really going to have a hard time pretending to care about the environment once I have a Tesla. Old habits are hard to break.

Tesla Cybertruck Satirical food 2F50505D-B64B-4A79-AC9F-90CDE844FBB9

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
It's true that manufacturing lithium batteries produces carbon dioxide...
My understanding of this is that that the carbon footprint associated with lithium battery production is from the production of the energy used to evaporate the solvents that are used to deposit the active parts of the electrodes on the collectors. Tesla clearly has a couple of things up its sleeve with respect to batteries which it will be revealing at the upcoming Battery Day. I'm pretty sure that one of those things in the dry electrode manufacturing technology which it got when it bought Maxwell. Thus I think the CO2 footprint of battery manufacture is going to go way down.

I saw a piece somewhere the other day that estimated that the oil industry recovers $1.9 M for each minute that it can delay the adoption of BEV's. Thus you can be sure they will come up with something else.

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
I'm so looking forward to battery day. If musk cant believe it and he knows about it "IT" has to be amazing. I want to be so amays I literally palpate myself.
Sponsored