KHappe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CyberTruck on order
Country flag
Was watching Dillion's cast today (Electrified) on youtube and he mentioned @sawyerMerrit had discussed new variants of the CyberTruck on a Podcast over the weekend.

He is hearing that initially there will be three variants.

Base dual
Mid dual
Tri-motor

With the quad and plaid coming later.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Kaz109

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Q8
Country flag
The got all of our business based on that price point so I would think they would honor it. I am curious what a plaid would run and if current CT reservation holders would get first crack at the plaid trim

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I like everything about this rumor so it must be true!

The idea of two dual motor configs is something I’ve heard elsewhere and makes a ton of sense. A base 250 mile dual motor truck and a 400 mile dual motor really attacks the broad side of what many of us are looking for.

If ramping 4680 cell production is at all difficult, delaying the most battery hogging model makes even more sense.

Anyhow… just a rumor but lots of sense. The only way it sort of falls down is the fact that it contradicts Musks off the cuff comments from a few months ago.

jerhenderson

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Correctional Officer
Country flag
Was watching Dillion's cast today (Electrified) on youtube and he mentioned @sawyerMerrit had discussed new variants of the CyberTruck on a Podcast over the weekend.

Base dual
Mid dual
Tri-motor

that's not what Elon said.....

CostcoSamples

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Odyssey
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I would absolutely go for a 500 mile Dual motor. I'm thinking such a vehicle would sell extremely well. I suspect with battery shortages they won't do that. Instead, they will save the big battery for the high margin top end model.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
So does this mean things like quadsteer will wait for release on plaid?

I think ultimately we can be sure that the CT is coming. Beyond that... Nuthin'.
LOL, this is what I said a while back when Musk tossed out that the Quad Motor was coming.

I’m pretty skeptical there will be 5 Cybertruck models. That just doesn’t make sense given Tesla’s current line-ups. With the M3 and MY you get: Base, LR, and Performance. With the MS and MX you get an LR and Plaid.

Now the Cybertruck is going to have 5 models?

I would have never picked that on my bingo card. That plus the fact that Musk said outright quad was first makes all of this weird.

The idea they would have 2 dual motor Cybertrucks makes a bunch of sense though. The rest is fuzzy.

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag
I had a dream that given the front and rear casting, battery pack, you could make that a cargo van, mini-van, mini-bus, etc, etc.

Dreams a good, but reality says... two many sku's makes logistics a nightmare.
Given the cost of electric motor manufacturing vs batteries, I would think more motors would be an easy way to increase the price for a 'reason' that would not actually increase the cost of manufacture as much as nearly doubling the battery pack.

Tesla Cybertruck @SawyerMerrit discussed new CyberTruck model lineup: base, mid, tri, quad, plaid Screenshot 2023-10-02 at 4.02.43 PM

Tesla Cybertruck @SawyerMerrit discussed new CyberTruck model lineup: base, mid, tri, quad, plaid Screenshot 2023-10-02 at 4.02.53 PM

Tesla Cybertruck @SawyerMerrit discussed new CyberTruck model lineup: base, mid, tri, quad, plaid Screenshot 2023-10-02 at 4.02.59 PM

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I've pointed out that Tesla has always made a trinity model list: Budget, Speed, Range. When Model 3 came out, the budget Model S faded out, same for the budget Model X and the Model Y (which left a bunch of people in a lurch).

Tesla no longer needs those high-end models to sell first. It just needs to be able to build enough. Which they can't do. So they don't just keep the prices high, they raise them.

But with Cybertruck raising the price won't change the length of the wait line. It won't change Tesla from in the red to in he black.

So what options they'll have?

Whatever one they can get out the door that won't change them from black to red, whichever one doesn't increase the wait time on their other models.

So... Something that won't mind a slow production rate like the Plaid. And then something that has as few batteries as possible but keeps the price up like the Dual.

Eventually that might end up a long list of variants... but my bet is that there won't be more than two at a time until they chew through the list. The new cathode plant is built, basically.

-Crissa

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
In 2023, Tesla wants 4680 cells for the Model Y, the Cybertruck, the Semi, and the Roadster.

Trying to produce 100,000 Quad Motor Cybertruck’s with 200+ kWh of cells is a huge strain on resources.

Pushing out 100,000 Dual Motor Cybertrucks with 115-140 kWh of cells? That is a much easier ask.

I’ve long thought one of Musks big goals with the Cybertruck is to put the fear of god into legacy auto. Pushing out a $90k+ luxury truck wouldn’t do that. Pushing out 100,000 electric trucks at $60,000 or less absolutely would.

That moves the Cybertruck from “Interesting Niche” into a full on existential threat.

Of course… Musk said quad was first so *shrug*.

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
I wish for 14,000 pound towing capacity and 500-mile range.

I can always sell and upgrade, but give me this in any configuration, and I'm happy.

Sgt. Glenn

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cybertruckphotography.com
Vehicles
2012 JKU Call of Duty/ Modern Warfare Edition
Occupation
Aerospace Photographer
Country flag

Base dual
Mid dual
Tri-motor

I am okay with this. I would love a Quad Motor version for offroading but might not be able to afford it. I will take a Tri-Motor with 500 miles. I want to get out of my gas-powered Wrangler asap. It is in fine shape but I am ready to be done with maintenance and fuel cost.

This is my guess as to the prices if announced in Nov 2019.

Base Dual - $40k
Mid Dual - $50k
Tri-Motor - $70k
Quad Motor - $90k
Plaid - $110k
Sponsored