RMK!

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Model 3 SR, CT on order
Country flag
That's a good point but there will be an extended range CT version for that use case. I'm not planning on towing anything so 300+ is good enough.
Yeah, that was the tri-motor in the original release.

-Crissa
Right, 500 miles for the Tri-motor but will there be a tri-motor or will it be dual and quad only? Many unanswerable questions at this point. Should all be clearer by the end of the year as Y production ramps up in Texas.

I don't think there will be a lot of European interest in the Cybertruck but my wife tells me that the Chinese are crazy for the F-150 so maybe Giga Shanghai will help get the Cybertruck rolling.
Sponsored

sirfartsalot

Banned
Banned
First Name
Baldar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Outback, Honda Pilot, Toyota MR2 Spyder
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
So does this mean things like quadsteer will wait for release on plaid?

I think ultimately we can be sure that the CT is coming. Beyond that... Nuthin'.
Hmm...I'm not (sure the CT is coming). I wouldn't bet more than the $100 deposit. I'm more sure about the Rivian, which is why I upped my bet to $1000.

happy intruder

First Name
O. K.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Jun 2019..... Model S Jan 2020
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Hmm...I'm not (sure the CT is coming). I wouldn't bet more than the $100 deposit. I'm more sure about the Rivian, which is why I upped my bet to $1000.
don't know what Rivian is doing, but I see them all around the Orange County now and Irvine area....2 in my Irvine neighborhood

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
It is far more likely that Tesla will be delivering Cybertrucks in 36 months than Rivian will be delivering trucks at that time.

We know Tesla is around and will be for some time. We know they are working on the Cybertruck.

It’s a lot less clear if Rivian will be able to continue bleeding $2b+/ year for 3 more years.

Both probabilities are fairly low. I’m not suggesting Rivian is on the rocks or Rivian buyers should be overly worried. Just that Rivian folding or shifting to commercial only seems far more likely than Tesla giving up on the Cybertruck.

Chip Geek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt [CT3] On order: Tesla MS-LR
Country flag
For my CT these are what matter:
Must have: at least 500 mile range
Important: price and at least 2 motors
Would be nice but not required: 4 wheel steering.

I don't need quad motor (or even tri-motor) but will take those if that's what's required for >= 500 mile range.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Must have: at least 500 mile range
Important: price and at least 2 motors
I just want a dual motor (AWD) ~400 mile range model. $50-&60k.
So many people want something in this ballpark. This is IMO the sweet spot for Tesla in terms of practicality and demand. There is another group of people who want the Cybertruck to be a “Supertruck”, but I suspect most people just want good range and decent AWD.

intimidator

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lariat Lightning
Country flag
Was watching Dillion's cast today (Electrified) on youtube and he mentioned @sawyerMerrit had discussed new variants of the CyberTruck on a Podcast over the weekend.

He is hearing that initially there will be three variants.

Base dual
Mid dual
Tri-motor

With the quad and plaid coming later.
The reality is there is no CyberTruck yet, and no variants.

Where did Dillion get his information? A couple of months ago Tesla said they were going to come out with the Quad first, with the Tri-motor being dropped.

Again, we don't know when or if the Cybertruck will be made, so it is premature to talk variants.

intimidator

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lariat Lightning
Country flag
I just want a dual motor (AWD) ~400 mile range model. $50-&60k.
I think any variant, if they even build the Cybertruck, will be in excess of $70,000.

Inflation is not going away. When Elon promised in 2019 to build the CT, he was thinking it would be out by the end of 2021. Now he is saying "hopefully" 2023...which probably means 2024.

Things will be a lot more expensive by 2024.

SpaceYooper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
13' F150, 17' Explorer, 13' Cruz, 13' Clubman
Occupation
Retired USSF SNCO, REALTOR®
Country flag

Where did Dillion get his information? A couple of months ago Tesla said they were going to come out with the Quad first, with the Tri-motor being dropped.

Again, we don't know when or if the Cybertruck will be made, so it is premature to talk variants.
When did anyone from Tesla say the Tri-motor would be dropped? Elon did say Quad first, but I don't remember anything official about dropping the Tri.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag

Tesla never said tri motor was getting dropped. In fact the post where Musk replied and said Quad motor was coming first was responding to a Tweet that said there would be 3 variants: Dual, Tri, and Quad.

A lot of people assumed it would be reduced to 2 variants but the fate of the tri-motor was never spelled out.

The only thing “official” this rumor contradicts is Musks suggestion that the quad motor would be first.

Its hard to keep track of rumor versus fact.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I think any variant, if they even build the Cybertruck, will be in excess of $70,000.

Inflation is not going away. When Elon promised in 2019 to build the CT, he was thinking it would be out by the end of 2021. Now he is saying "hopefully" 2023...which probably means 2024.

Things will be a lot more expensive by 2024.
He said most likely 2023. Then later he reiterated 2023 as the most likely launch.

Also, if inflation ever gets over 40% we’ll have a lot more to worry about than Cybertruck pricing.

Dusty

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Model Y Performance
Occupation
Creator
Country flag
I did just the opposite. I got my $1000 back from Rivian since they aren't making more than 300 trucks a month. If you're more than 12k in line you're easily 2+ years from getting a Rivian. I'm in the under 20k line for the CT so my chances of having my butt in the seat of a CT within the first year of production is way better and still sooner than waiting on Rivian.

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
What I want with a Cybertruck; a Tesla crash test validation CT will suffice. Any $ave will be spent over a year+ building back a Baja build brief. It need be free of pressure buckle from top of exo-skeleton back.
Sponsored