Status
Not open for further replies.

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
I don't want my signal to cancel when I'm changing lanes followed by a slight right all the time. Or when i need to move over more than one lane. When driving normally, I would just leave the blinker on. Auto cancel makes me need to hit the blinker twice. I've found that it causes more hassle than it's worth.

I'm sure if I wanted to suffer for 200 miles of daily driving to reprogram my brain I could do it. But I would be doing that just for the sake of doing it.
If you are crossing two lanes in one move (illegal in many states), it's still two commands on the turn signal lever, the same as if you initiated the turn signal before the first lane change and then just left it on as you crossed multiple lanes, and then had to turn it off. A skilled driver treats each lane change as a seperate event (both to comply with the law and to provide more certainty to other motorists in the immediate vicinity as to what is going on).

But, yeah, most drivers are not that skilled and don't pay very close attention and that's why people die so often, even on our very safe and well-designed Interstates.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Gurule92

Gurule92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MYP
Occupation
"Cyber" stuff
Country flag
If you are crossing two lanes in one move (illegal in many states), it's still two commands on the turn signal lever, the same as if you initiated the turn signal before the first lane change and then just left it on as you crossed multiple lanes, and then had to turn it off. A skilled driver treats each lane change as a seperate event (both to comply with the law and to provide more certainty to other motorists in the immediate vicinity as to what is going on).

But, yeah, most drivers are not that skilled and don't pay very close attention and that's why people die so often, even on our very safe and well-designed Interstates.
Yea im sure bad drivers treat it as one move, but any experienced driver is going to move one lane, wait, and them move the next and not ever turn their blinker off.

Are you suggesting that even without ai blinkers, you would turn off your blinker in between each lane move?

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I don't want my signal to cancel when I'm changing lanes followed by a slight right all the time. Or when i need to move over more than one lane. When driving normally, I would just leave the blinker on. Auto cancel makes me need to hit the blinker twice. I've found that it causes more hassle than it's worth.

I'm sure if I wanted to suffer for 200 miles of daily driving to reprogram my brain I could do it. But I would be doing that just for the sake of doing it.

Tesla usually makes pretty awesome features that make the vehicles more intuitive and overall better. But this one, I think, exists strictly to prepare you for the lack of stalks in your next vehicle. Maybe if I did more highway driving I would be less bothered by it but I.
My experience with the automatic blinkers is fantastic.

Like the perfect compromise between the three click thing and manual wipers. Hate going back to my Subaru.

Those at least are easy enough to turn off.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag

Not even sure what the complaint is here.

Normal: You turn on the blinker, change lanes, make sure it’s safe, change lanes again, turn off the wiper. Two taps of the lever.

AI blinker: you turn on your blinker, change lanes blinker turns off. Turn the blinker back on, change lanes, blinker turns off. Two taps on the lever.

Same “effort”.

Popping 2 lanes in a row is pretty uncommon so shouldn’t be an issue either way.

OP
OP
Gurule92

Gurule92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MYP
Occupation
"Cyber" stuff
Country flag
Brain rewiring is the complaint lol.

Single lane change to the right followed by a slight right is probably the hardest for me to remap in my brain.

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yea im sure bad drivers treat it as one move, but any experienced driver is going to move one lane, wait, and them move the next and not ever turn their blinker off.

Are you suggesting that even without ai blinkers, you would turn off your blinker in between each lane move?
Not at all, I would leave the turn signal on until I was in the lane I wanted to be in (and then I would have to turn it off). Read Ogre's description in the post above this one. He has laid it out for you in a step-by-step tutorial of how to change multiple lanes at once safely with or without AI turn signal cancellation.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gurule92

Gurule92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MYP
Occupation
"Cyber" stuff
Country flag
Not at all, I would leave the turn signal on until I was in the lane I wanted to be in. Read Ogre's description in the post above this one. He has laid it out for you in a step-by-step tutorial of how to change multiple lanes at once safely with or without AI turn signal cancellation.
I mean, it's not like it was a mystery. It's just not as intuitive as normal blinker. Same with moving from middle lane to right lane prior to slight right turn.

It's an OK feature but it only exists to prep you for lack of stalks

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Brain rewiring is the complaint lol.

Single lane change to the right followed by a slight right is probably the hardest for me to remap in my brain.
Aha! That makes more sense! You admit you are just too lazy to ,change to a better method! The older people are, the more resistant to change they become, even when that change will make things simplier.

I believe it's important to not let yourself fall victim to what I call "cerebreal ossification", the process whereby the brain loses it's ability to think in new, different ways, to fluidly adjust to new environments. It makes one less adaptable and less useful. By excercising the brain, you can remain mentally younger than falling into habitual ways of operating and creating well-worn neural pathways that become increasingly less able to re-map and adapt to new situations and environments.

That's why I never hesitate to try new ways to do old things and also why I strive for new experiences. I'm 59 years old and it took me about 200-300 miles to adapt to auto-cancelling turn signals and when it finally "clicked" it was an "aha" moment, it made me feel lighter and even a touch smarter. It felt like a blockage in my brain had been erased. I haven't relapsed in the last 100 miles or so but I imagine I will, at least a couple more times in the next few months when I fall back into my old ways. But this is simply a sign of how deeply entrenched my habits had become and this is something I want to avoid.

The brain is like a set of muscles, use them or lose them. First principles thinking will reveal that we should optimize our brains and unload them from as many meanial and repetive tasks as possible in order to empower ourselves. Brains require excercise too, and the benefits are many. A beautiful mind is a terrible thing to waste.

OP
OP
Gurule92

Gurule92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MYP
Occupation
"Cyber" stuff
Country flag
Aha! That makes more sense! You admit you are just too lazy to ,change to a better method! The older people are, the more resistant to change they become, even when that change will make things simplier.

I believe it's important to not let yourself fall victim to what I call "cerebreal ossification", the process whereby the brain loses it's ability to think in new, different ways, to fluidly adjust to new environments. It makes one less adaptable and less useful. By excercising the brain, you can remain mentally younger than falling into habitual ways of operating and creating well-worn neural pathways that become increasingly less able to re-map and adapt to new situations and environments.

That's why I never hesitate to try new ways to do old things and also why I strive for new experiences. I'm 59 years old and it took me about 200-300 miles to adapt to auto-cancelling turn signals and when it finally "clicked" it was an "aha" moment, it made me feel lighter and even a touch smarter. It felt like a blockage in my brain had been erased. I haven't relapsed in the last 100 miles or so but I imagine I will, at least a couple more times in the next few months when I fall back into my old ways. But this is simply a sign of how deeply entrenched my habits had become and this is something I want to avoid.

The brain is like a set of muscles, use them or lose them. First principles thinking will reveal that we should optimize our brains and unload them from as many meanial and repetive tasks as possible in order to empower ourselves. Brains require excercise too, and the benefits are many. A beautiful mind is a terrible thing to waste.
Aha! You didn't read my first response lol

Tesla usually makes pretty awesome features that make the vehicles more intuitive and overall better. But this one, I think, exists strictly to prepare you for the lack of stalks in your next vehicle. Maybe if I did more highway driving I would be less bothered by it but I.
It's just not better is the issue. I did try it, as a lyft driver for a few days, but there is no net positive. If I'm making am easy lane change with normal blinkers I do the partial click and it turns off automatically already.

I just need to buy fsd and have it do the work lol

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I mean, it's not like it was a mystery. It's just not as intuitive as normal blinker. Same with moving from middle lane to right lane prior to slight right turn.

It's an OK feature but it only exists to prep you for lack of stalks
The belief that the feature only exists to "prep you for lack of stalks" demonstrates a lack of understanding of Tesla's corporate culture and the principles they use to design the way their vehicles operate. They use first principles thinking to reduce the number of things you need to do to achieve what you want to do.

In this case, the goal is to signal to other motorists your intentions and follow traffic regulations in a consistent manner. Tesla asked themselves, why should the operator have to cancel the turn signal after the manuever has been completed when the Tesla Vision system can easily see the manuever that was signalled has already been completed? One less thing to do.

The only reason we have been cancelling our signals for the last century is the car had no way to know the manuever had been completed! A mechanical mechanism was invented in the 1940's to cancel the turn signal but it could only work consistently and repeatedly if the turn required enough steering action. Nevertheless, all cars adopted self-cancelling turn signals even though they didn't always cancel when required and occasionally cancelled when we didn't want them to. Tesla now has a way for them to cancel after every lane change and in situations when the turn is not a sharp 90 degree turn. It would be a no-brainer to take advantage of this as it's a huge improvement on the old mechanical self-cancelling turn signals.

By your way of thinking, all automakers adopted mechanical self-cancelling turn signals in the 1940's in preparation for what?

OP
OP
Gurule92

Gurule92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MYP
Occupation
"Cyber" stuff
Country flag
The belief that the feature only exists to "prep you for lack of stalks" demonstrates a lack of understanding of Tesla's corporate culture and the principles they use to design the way their vehicles operate. They use first principles thinking to reduce the number of things you need to do to achieve what you want to do.

In this case, the goal is to signal to other motorists your intentions and follow traffic regulations in a consistent manner. Tesla asked themselves, why should the operator have to cancel the turn signal after the manuever has been completed when the Tesla Vision system can easily see the manuever that was signalled has already been completed? One less thing to do.

The only reason we have been cancelling our signals for the last century is the car had no way to know the manuever had been completed! A mechanical mechanism was invented in the 1940's to cancel the turn signal but it could only work consistently and repeatedly if the turn required enough steering action. Nevertheless, all cars adopted self-cancelling turn signals even though they didn't always cancel when required and occasionally cancelled when we didn't want them to. Tesla now has a way for them to cancel after every lane change and in situations when the turn is not a sharp 90 degree turn. It would be a no-brainer to take advantage of this as it's a huge improvement on the old mechanical self-cancelling turn signals.

By your way of thinking, all automakers adopted mechanical self-cancelling turn signals in the 1940's in preparation for what?
Your line of thought is as if tesla designed this feature with model 3 and y in mind. They didn't. They made it for the cars that don't have stalks (x and s). Then they decided that since they already have the software, why not push it to the other cars.

It's not some grand first principles talking point. They had the software, so they gave it to you. It's the software you will use in the future on a stalkless vehicle and getting used to it now will prep you for that. (Like cybertruck)

They will probably stop putting stalks in 3 and y soon.

Why? Not to convenience you. To save money on stalks lol.

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Your line of thought is as if tesla designed this feature with model 3 and y in mind. They didn't. They made it for the cars that don't have stalks (x and s). Then they decided that since they already have the software, why not push it to the other cars.

It's not some grand first principles talking point. They had the software, so they gave it to you. It's the software you will use in the future on a stalkless vehicle and getting used to it now will prep you for that. (Like cybertruck)

They will probably stop putting stalks in 3 and y soon.

Why? Not to convenience you. To save money on stalks lol.
It's true that Tesla works relentlessly to be able to offer the required functionality for less money, less complexity.

But you didn't answer my question: What were automakers in the 1940 "prepping customers for" when they adopted self-cancelling turn signals?. I ask this because you seem to believe that simply making driving more convenient, more automatic, is not a good enough reason in itself.

I'm not saying Tesla is not trying to eliminate stalks on all models, I'm saying the goal is driven by a desire to simplify driving and reducing complexity, not an irrational fixation on trying to save a couple dollars and increase profits. If it were not a better method, they wouldn't adopt it. People who think it's worse, just don't like anything to change.

Tesla has never been afraid to change and that's why they are the only high volume automanufacturer who has been growing production and sales the last 5 years while all the others have been shrinking. The others have forgot how to change and this means you will pay more for less when you buy legacy products.

Kahpernicus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma
Country flag
I cant think of a car that didn't turn off signals after you straighten up your maneuver.

I'm sorta confused about having to turn off signals manually except for random rare cases or merges.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I don't want my signal to cancel when I'm changing lanes followed by a slight right all the time.
You should activate them again.

It's a gesture that tells drivers you didn't forget about your signal, but in fact, mean to make another maneuver.

For the same reason, they suggest you stay in a lane several seconds to 'establish a lane' before making another lane change.

2) Tesla has said that's exactly what they are doing.
I don't think they've 'said' so much as shown a few renderings of way outside their wheelhouse and we have a solid rumor that they have a team doing it.

...even on our very safe and well-designed Interstates.
Have you driven on some of our roads?

-Crissa

OP
OP
Gurule92

Gurule92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MYP
Occupation
"Cyber" stuff
Country flag
It's true that Tesla works relentlessly to be able to offer the required functionality for less money, less complexity.

But you didn't answer my question: What were automakers in the 1940 "prepping customers for" when they adopted self-cancelling turn signals?. I ask this because you seem to believe that simply making driving more convenient, more automatic, is not a good enough reason in itself.

I'm not saying Tesla is not trying to eliminate stalks on all models, I'm saying the goal is driven by a desire to simplify driving and reducing complexity, not an irrational fixation on trying to save a couple dollars and increase profits. If it were not a better method, they wouldn't adopt it. People who think it's worse, just don't like anything to change.

Tesla has never been afraid to change and that's why they are the only high volume automanufacturer who has been growing production and sales the last 5 years while all the others have been shrinking. The others have forgot how to change and this means you will pay more for less when you buy legacy products.
I'm not old enough to know the climate of the auto industry in the 40s. And it's not even a similar argument. When did someone in the 40s send an OTA to the car and change the functionality? You had to purchase the car with the new technology. Just like if you bought a tesla vehicle with the lack of stalks.

You can stop pitching Tesla to me. I've been on the hype train and am going on my 4th vehicle from them.

They don't hit with every feature and there's nothing wrong with that. Auto cancelling blinkers as they were when they got sent to my car originally weren't good for my use case. Maybe they were for you and that's totally fine.

Tesla's usually adding features that make the car more intuitive. Auto blinker cancel didn't do that for me.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.