Scot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
97' chevy 4x4 and a 2015 ford fusion hybrid
Occupation
cabinet maker / handyman
Country flag
I would like a nice looking brush guard to go with my winch.
Sponsored

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
I would like a nice looking brush guard to go with my winch.
I'm not worried about brush, I go slow when I'm pushing through branches and heavy brush and the cold-rolled stainless steel is pretty tough. Most brush guards are made of painted mild steel or chromed mild steel. I go through alder saplings and tall weeds in my Model 3 without damage as long as my car is clean and I don't drive through them too fast. The hardened stainless steel will be 100 times better than paint.

The beauty of the Cybertruck is it's tough, sleek form that is aerodynamic and scratch/dent resistant. Trying to pretend it's not those things kinda takes away from the beauty of the design. Why add a bunch of uneccessary weight and drag to such a beautiful beast? Doing so makes a statement about the owner, and I'm not sure it's a flattering statement.

Sure, if the Cybertruck had a lightweight aluminum body that was fragile, or a traditional fragile painted surface coating thin, soft mild stamped steel panels like all other trucks that claim to be tough, but aren't, I could see wanting a brushguard to protect it from dents and scratches. Adding one to the toughest truck on the market just says the owner feels a need to try to pretend he's tougher than he is.

I hate to say it, but it could be a sign that his other equipment is not very adequate. 😳

Frank Mendez

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
3, mkzh, f150
Occupation
sales
Country flag
There would be no way a fifth wheel with the skid plate to work with the sails but a goose neck type fifth wheel hitch may work depending on the trailer design.

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
I'm not worried about brush, I go slow when I'm pushing through branches and heavy brush and the cold-rolled stainless steel is pretty tough. Most brush guards are made of painted mild steel or chromed mild steel. I go through alder saplings and tall weeds in my Model 3 without damage as long as my car is clean and I don't drive through them too fast. The hardened stainless steel will be 100 times better than paint….

I hate to say it, but it could be a sign that his other equipment is not very adequate. 😳
Except that the production CyberTruck is going to have giant plastic bumpers that make up the contact areas with brush, front or back

MEDICALJMP

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Rav4, Tri-motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
Why do you assume Tesla started work on 48 volt Cybertruck accessories group a few weeks ago?

Is it because some random clown on Twitter/YT said a few weeks ago that he talked to someone at Tesla and they said they had secret accessories work shop? We are just hearing the official word on 48V so Tesla must have just gotten a work group together on March 1? That doesn't make sense.

Tesla has known for a long time they were going to use a 48 volt system and that accessories would be needed. Having formed a 48V accessories team a year or so ago seems far more logical while they were building the factory.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I agree with the stay in the new lane for several seconds thing. But I don't think I need to turn off and on my blinker again. I mean, if it was done quick enough the drivers behind wouldn't even notice lol.

I think the onus is on them to not assume I forgot my blinker on. Imo

Tesla Cybertruck Official Cybertruck Accessory store is live!! Includes: Tailgate ramp, Basecamp, wrap, franz ball decal and more lane_change_highway

Deleted member 3316

Why do you assume Tesla started work on 48 volt Cybertruck accessories group a few weeks ago?

Is it because some random clown on Twitter/YT said a few weeks ago that he talked to someone at Tesla and they said they had secret accessories work shop? We are just hearing the official word on 48V so Tesla must have just gotten a work group together on March 1? That doesn't make sense.

Tesla has known for a long time they were going to use a 48 volt system and that accessories would be needed. Having formed a 48V accessories team a year or so ago seems far more logical while they were building the factory.
2018 wiring patent indicates they’ve been think about this for quite some time. 👍🏼

Deleted member 3316

If I recall, I heard the Bots would use the 48V architecture. It makes sense to try to keep the equipment at Tesla "standard". I believe all new vehicles will be 48V. I am not sure they will go back and make changes to existing vehicles (e.g., the semi, X, S, 3, Y). Based on the evolution of the model Y, for example, you never know what could be next.
Listen to the presentation by David Lau and Pete Bannon.

“Tesla (power electronics) platforms will be moving to 48 volts, this reduces the current needed by a factor of four and since power loss in the harness is resistance times the square of the current a 4X reduction and current leads to a 16X reduction in lost power”, Pete Bannon​

anionic1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Estimator
Country flag
FYI F150-F550 have PTO options on the gearbox and motor.
You are my hero! See you can already get a PTO for your F150. link. So if the CT doesnt have a way to add a PTO its already behind the competition. Also the PTO could act as a generator. You could simply park in a stream or on a windy knoll and attach your turbine and connect it to the PTO and you are using the CT motors to recharge the vehicle. I see a lot of folks looking at trying to get solar power for the CT with some looking at huge fold out arrays. Well, converting mechanical energy to electrical energy is often a lot more effective.

I see my PTO suggestion caused quite a stir. Really, my main point is that you can simplify and reduce the weight of countless accessories by removing the motors. So having one transfer case/clutch and minimal control wiring as an optional accessory would initiate a likely endless selection of attachments. Humans have been mastering and manipulating rotational mechanical energy for thousands of years. IMO a PTO on the CT would really take it to the next level. Yes, few would use it. But for the people that could use it as an optional accessory it would be huge. I wouldn't hesitate to add that option. I have to add 60 post holes on my lot. If i could get an auger that attached to the CT and i could remote control it to go from hole to hole it would be amazing. I am constantly using large air compressors for nailers etc., if i could leave the motor at home and only bring the tank it would cut the weight of the compressor by 40 lbs. and I would just hook the compressor and tank up to the PTO.

Here is a list of random things that a PTO would be amazing for. If you haven't used or owned most of these then you probably just won't get it.

Any pumps/compressors
Augers or drills
Saws and countless other woodworking items
Vacuums or any other air moving
Any mixers
Hydraulic pumps which power most construction backhoe attachments
Metal bending, clamping, breaks or shears
Pulleys or winches
Mowing or tilling equipment
Wood chipping
Propeller for all those believing the CT will float
Conveyors or lifts (like for loading material onto a roof)
Snow plows
Zombie dismembering saw
Warp speed angular momentum maximizer (if you made it this far down my list)
And wind or water turbines for charging

Scott Beall

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Grand Cherokee (dd), 1966 Mustang, 1967 Corv
Country flag
Instead of a complicated PTO off of one of the drive motors, why not just a smaller motor that mounts to the front or back that handles all of these PTO functions? Tesla can certainly make little motors with the correct rpms/gear ratios needed for compressors or winches. This motor could even plug in via the ethernet bus to the main pc of the car if it needs to be controlled at the driver's seat for plows, etc. They say that the main drive motors cost $1K each so it's anyone's guess what this may sell for.

I only say this to get folks spun up about 5 Motor Cybertrucks, which makes quads look sensible. :p

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
Instead of a complicated PTO off of one of the drive motors, why not just a smaller motor that mounts to the front or back that handles all of these PTO functions? Tesla can certainly make little motors with the correct rpms/gear ratios needed for compressors or winches. This motor could even plug in via the ethernet bus to the main pc of the car if it needs to be controlled at the driver's seat for plows, etc. They say that the main drive motors cost $1K each so it's anyone's guess what this may sell for.

I only say this to get folks spun up about 5 Motor Cybertrucks, which makes quads look sensible. :p
You are correct in that having a seperate 5th motor would be a better way of doing it. You probably missed it, but essentially would only have to be a a 3 phase connection to the oboard inverter that can also act as a speed controller. That way the motor could be added aftermarket and be attached directly to the implement, and it would cost less than a $100 to add to the CT. We've been calling it a ePTO here and on other threads.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.