First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
1679810204674.png

It appears the the bed hangs off these rather than sitting on a ladder chassis.
Yes. It's a truss exoskeleton.

In every EV tear down and "how it works" video I've seen, the heat pump has always been high voltage (power train voltage) powered. I doubt they'll go 48V on that.

1679928923591.jpeg
Some might consider that part of the drive train, since it primarily manages the thermal condition of the drive motors and traction battery.

-Crissa
Sponsored

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
Why you are drawing the yellow lines on the side sail on a angle to the rear bed, and not parallel and next to the inside wall and lines in the bed?
just a perspective issue - wasn’t intended angled toward the rear of the bed, but instead angle inward from the side’s main waistline (the blue line in the aconic drawing) to the crest of the sail. Here’s the same attempt, on a better angle (even if the older prototype), where the red lines are drawn over the rear door’s seam that runs perpendicular to the ground:

Tesla Cybertruck Official Cybertruck Accessory store is live!! Includes: Tailgate ramp, Basecamp, wrap, franz ball decal and more 846E8A2C-A771-4FDB-9098-B78EC45BD350

And here’s a similar shot but down the side of the investor day prototype, blue line the
waistline, red the same door line as above:

Tesla Cybertruck Official Cybertruck Accessory store is live!! Includes: Tailgate ramp, Basecamp, wrap, franz ball decal and more 65D5AC81-F367-41F6-80C3-5203E1F35207

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
just a perspective issue - wasn’t intended angled toward the rear of the bed, but instead angle inward from the side’s main waistline (the blue line in the aconic drawing) to the crest of the sail. Here’s the same attempt, on a better angle (even if the older prototype), where the red lines are drawn over the rear door’s seam that runs perpendicular to the ground:

846E8A2C-A771-4FDB-9098-B78EC45BD350.jpeg

And here’s a similar shot but down the side of the investor day prototype, blue line the
waistline, red the same door line as above:

65D5AC81-F367-41F6-80C3-5203E1F35207.jpeg
Ok but you see that there is still a bit of volume in there if you place the cast against the inside bed wall? Up the top of the sail there is not much, but now especially with the wheel well widening in the bed their is more volume down the bottom, which would be hard to utilise if you only have the top half of the sail opening instead of the whole panel.

I was thinking that even worst case, and if they really cancel the sail storage, provided you the volume remains intact and in one area to the outside, and aftermarket solution should also still work. If only to place some 50-100l water tanks inside the sails.

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
Ok but you see that there is still a bit of volume in there if you place the cast against the inside bed wall?
a bit of volume, yes.

but you apparently take this casting to be far ‘thinner’ than it is to my eye. To my eye it’s thick enough to comprise about the entire width of the uppermost thinnest part of the sail at the juncture with the roof/glass - it’s gotta be at least 3” (8.9 cm) wide along that top shelf, no?

then outward from that, I don’t see how those quarter panel attachment tabs at the wheel wells are more than 6” (15.2cm) further out - which would make that sail area above the wheelwell tabs no more than 6” deep at its widest point on the waistline

Tesla Cybertruck Official Cybertruck Accessory store is live!! Includes: Tailgate ramp, Basecamp, wrap, franz ball decal and more BCD876C1-3ACB-4AF5-881E-8430C4363776

but not at all to say I’m demonstrably right in either case, but instead only just you’re seeing volume I’m unable to see

Tesla Cybertruck Official Cybertruck Accessory store is live!! Includes: Tailgate ramp, Basecamp, wrap, franz ball decal and more 6E429667-04AF-4302-A7CB-42D06933D44C
Tesla Cybertruck Official Cybertruck Accessory store is live!! Includes: Tailgate ramp, Basecamp, wrap, franz ball decal and more 9F47EAA6-F94F-4FF4-9FBA-B7AFACB0DE18

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
a bit of volume, yes.

but you apparently take this casting to be far ‘thinner’ than it is to my eye. To my eye it’s thick enough to comprise about the entire width of the uppermost thinnest part of the sail at the juncture with the roof/glass - it’s gotta be at least 3” (8.9 cm) wide along that top shelf, no?

then outward from that, I don’t see how those quarter panel attachment tabs at the wheel wells are more than 6” (15.2cm) further out - which would make that sail area above the wheelwell tabs no more than 6” deep at its widest point on the waistline

BCD876C1-3ACB-4AF5-881E-8430C4363776.jpeg

but not at all to say I’m demonstrably right in either case, but instead only just you’re seeing volume I’m unable to see

6E429667-04AF-4302-A7CB-42D06933D44C.jpeg
9F47EAA6-F94F-4FF4-9FBA-B7AFACB0DE18.jpeg
Funnily enough I found a photo that you posted that I believe actually show the rear casting exposed to the outside, that holds the right rear tailgate lock.

Do you see the grey section of steel plate that holds onto the black locking mechanism under the red arrow?

Tesla Cybertruck Official Cybertruck Accessory store is live!! Includes: Tailgate ramp, Basecamp, wrap, franz ball decal and more CT Tailgate Lock Cast body

I think that is this part of the cast here, with the lock mechanism inserted through the hole you can see here under the red arrow:

Tesla Cybertruck Official Cybertruck Accessory store is live!! Includes: Tailgate ramp, Basecamp, wrap, franz ball decal and more CT Tailgate Lock Cast

The green arrow is the mounting point for the tailgate cable support, and the blue arrow is the tailgate hinge mounting point.

If so this would prove that the casting is a) fairly slim there, and b) on the inside bed sidewall.
In the cast support going from the cabin rear to the wheel welI I think the casting is only maybe 1" thick with ribbing around 2-3", maybe max 4" in some areas. For such a short section with the dynamically load optimized shape, it won't need much material, nor will it want much material either to keep it easier to cast. The goal is to reduce the weight and materials and pieces used, and by doing so reduce the cost and speedup manufacturing, and improve tolerances. That cast probably has a mounting point for each additional part that goes into the rear. (for example to the left next to the red arrow is the mounting bracket for the vault cover rail)

Tesla Cybertruck Official Cybertruck Accessory store is live!! Includes: Tailgate ramp, Basecamp, wrap, franz ball decal and more CT Door Sail Thickness

As for total thickness at the door, if your measurement is correct and the door is 6" thick at that point, then the inside of the cabin door frame is another 6" (green line), and the inside setback of the midgate window roughly another 3" (pink line)? So 15"at the middle crease of the sail panel (blue line), but the wheel well inside the bed goes in another few inches, and there are hollow triangles in front of the wheel wells and under the diagonal truss coming from the cabin to the wheel, which is also where the well is it's widest. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying there will 100's of litres of storage volume there, what I am saying is that there is 100's of litres of volume there, of which some, probably around 150l should become sail storage.

Another variation to consider is that it is possible that the vault cover does not actually roll up on a roll like in the patent at all, rather that it just goes around one smaller roller, and sits essentially folded in half behind the midgate. With that CT gets a storage tunnel like the Rivian, that is accessed by lifting the sail panels, and can be accessed through those empty triangles described above. Note the height of the tailgate hinge in relation to the rest of the rear cast and wheels.

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
As for total thickness at the door, if your measurement is correct and the door is 6" thick at that point, then the inside of the cabin door frame is another 6" (green line), and the inside setback of the midgate window roughly another 3" (pink line)? So 15"at the middle crease of the sail panel (blue line), but the wheel well inside the bed goes in another few inches,
As I see it, after that initial 6”, you run into sail pillar casting - the depth of the door I see as unrelated to the depth of the sail pillar.

the sail casting near the tailgate may be thin, but near the cab the casting ‘fins’ are wide, maybe 3” thick. that is basically the entire thickness of the sail pillar near the cab/rear window. See also the photos below from the pre-production prototype with its rear window down/removed vs the casting photo (blue arrows)

Tesla Cybertruck Official Cybertruck Accessory store is live!! Includes: Tailgate ramp, Basecamp, wrap, franz ball decal and more 3D2D2160-7769-43E3-87D9-3179201C5C40
Tesla Cybertruck Official Cybertruck Accessory store is live!! Includes: Tailgate ramp, Basecamp, wrap, franz ball decal and more 173A39FF-13DC-4879-90F0-BA438D1B4492
Tesla Cybertruck Official Cybertruck Accessory store is live!! Includes: Tailgate ramp, Basecamp, wrap, franz ball decal and more 317266AD-B328-4F43-AE2B-1F7CB3E3D176
Tesla Cybertruck Official Cybertruck Accessory store is live!! Includes: Tailgate ramp, Basecamp, wrap, franz ball decal and more 5938C7F4-642C-490C-88CE-4EDA16156934
Tesla Cybertruck Official Cybertruck Accessory store is live!! Includes: Tailgate ramp, Basecamp, wrap, franz ball decal and more 8A9CABB1-8940-4A2D-8EE8-B6B42B32FA03
Tesla Cybertruck Official Cybertruck Accessory store is live!! Includes: Tailgate ramp, Basecamp, wrap, franz ball decal and more 1905D644-D6E4-484A-8370-8CB459988977

Add in the railing/track for the tonneau, the recessed tie down mounts, the wiring harnesses shown in the diagram, all on the inside the sail, etc., and at least near the cab the sail casting has no room to be somehow pushed “toward the inside of the bed” - it occupies the bulk of the sail where the sail meets the cab - meaning the 6” at the waistline is the max depth near the cab

The body does flare wider towards the tailgate (which is why the rear fender flares are narrower than the front fender flares) , but so too does the height of the sail disproportionately decrease (and so volume).

again though, all this only to explain the spacial relationships as I see them, not to claim any better insight than anyone else

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
You do not understand what an exoskeleton is, then.

That's okay.

Even a crab or an insect has buttresses inside their outer shell. But the shell isn't just a skin.

-Crissa

Vegetaban

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Future CT AWD
Occupation
Pharmaceutical Quality Assurance
Country flag
Starlink native integration.
Some sort of mobility scooter hoist for my Mom.

Did the ramp in the tailgate make it in final design?
I still want the Cyberquad.
Ditto, thought I posted this at first based on identical needs/wants.

Quicksilver

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan van
Occupation
Retired military
Country flag
I watched the video at the shareholders meeting and I didn't see a receiver hitch on the rear of the CT on display out front. Maybe it's covered while not in use but I sure hope it is included in the final design. I'd hate to trust some aftermarket dealer to install one. Ideally it would have the hitch and wiring installed.

OP
OP
Gurule92

Gurule92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MYP
Occupation
"Cyber" stuff
Country flag
I watched the video at the shareholders meeting and I didn't see a receiver hitch on the rear of the CT on display out front. Maybe it's covered while not in use but I sure hope it is included in the final design. I'd hate to trust some aftermarket dealer to install one. Ideally it would have the hitch and wiring installed.
There is a thread on here deep diving the hitch

Greshnab

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Occupation
Software Arrchitect
Country flag
A winch is top priority for me..
after that we get to be light bar for the top of the truck...
a prop for water transit across ponds/ lakes

perhaps a spotlight and after that it gets kinda silly
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.