Gurule92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MYP
Occupation
"Cyber" stuff
Country flag
I’d like to see zero-emission camp cookery: hot plate, griddle, grill, water heater. I know such things exist for 120v but I want custom pieces designed for 48v.

Conversely, there must be solar charging of some kind.
Agreed, I would be cool with 120v using the bed plug but I want solar for sure. Just a few miles a day would be plenty for camping. If it can combat phantom drain and kitchen use then it's enough
Sponsored

Throwcomputer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
07 Ridgeline, Vintage Vespas, 02 Harley Sportster
Occupation
TV & Film
Country flag
I’d like to see zero-emission camp cookery: hot plate, griddle, grill, water heater. I know such things exist for 120v but I want custom pieces designed for 48v.

Conversely, there must be solar charging of some kind.
I'm stoopid with electrical theory, so hoping someone can enlighten if the same size solar panels on the roof would see any power or performance increases simply from being 48v panels vs 12v? That might be an unexpected side effect of the switch to 48v in the truck.

🤷‍♂️

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
V2H :mad:

More seriously, looking at this, several things come to mind:

Tesla Cybertruck Official Cybertruck Accessory store is live!! Includes: Tailgate ramp, Basecamp, wrap, franz ball decal and more 0253A328-54CF-4A71-9D94-3E02CA48ACE8

• a tool box; this is a standard accessory for work trucks, and the CT will need Tesla-level engineering to sort out fitment and attachment - may need rethinking though, since you couldn’t reach I to it from bedside

• a ‘Decked’-like bed drawer system in leu of a toolbox, including a second story of drawers that fit the slope under the tonneau. This 2-story config would also do a portion of the functionality of utility beds that will be otherwise unavailable for the uni-body design of the CT

Tesla Cybertruck Official Cybertruck Accessory store is live!! Includes: Tailgate ramp, Basecamp, wrap, franz ball decal and more 1AF16B93-AC4B-45B3-BFA7-0CCF58B92EC0

• more than a bed-topper tent, I’d think more of an off-road, aero-optimized popup trailer for towing behind the CT would provide every bit as much room with fewer challenges to messing with the CT’s aero. And, with the right connections to the CT’s capabilities (onboard air, electricity, etc.) could have a lot of amazing features (auto-leveling, fridge, cooktop, etc.)

Tesla Cybertruck Official Cybertruck Accessory store is live!! Includes: Tailgate ramp, Basecamp, wrap, franz ball decal and more 777AC7FC-11EC-4570-9235-EDD0F7C82B77
Tesla Cybertruck Official Cybertruck Accessory store is live!! Includes: Tailgate ramp, Basecamp, wrap, franz ball decal and more B29799D0-91CE-4762-AB4D-C86F78CAEB39

Some of the toolbox/bed drawer uses may be seen as redundant to the Frunk, but having these things in addition to a Frunk would be game-changing

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
No pee tube needed. Even if it has a theoretical 500 mile range, the actual range will more likely be 450 or less at highway speeds. You will not wait to fill up until 0 miles and you won't charge to 100%. So a more realistic range between charges would be around 330 miles. So roughly 4-4.5 hours of driving between stops. If you are towing then cut that in half.
my feeling on 500 mile range is it means you no longer wait for charging at all. You drive until your bladder needs drained or you are hungry. Plug in, take care of bio needs, unplug and leave. The 10 minutes or so it takes you to stop and address your body should be enough to keep the truck moving.

obv. Towing puts you back to 200-300 miles range so doesn’t apply.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
V2H :mad:

More seriously, looking at this, several things come to mind:

• a tool box; this is a standard accessory for work trucks, and the CT will need Tesla-level engineering to sort out fitment and attachment - may need rethinking though, since you couldn’t reach I to it from bedside

• a ‘Decked’-like bed drawer system in leu of a toolbox, including a second story of drawers that fit the slope under the tonneau. This 2-story config would also do a portion of the functionality of utility beds that will be otherwise unavailable for the uni-body design of the CT

• more than a bed-topper tent, I’d think more of an off-road, aero-optimized popup trailer for towing behind the CT would provide every bit as much room with fewer challenges to messing with the CT’s aero. And, with the right connections to the CT’s capabilities (onboard air, electricity, etc.) could have a lot of amazing features (auto-leveling, fridge, cooktop, etc.)

Some of the toolbox/bed drawer uses may be seen as redundant to the Frunk, but having these things in addition to a Frunk would be game-changing
It should be possible to have a “roof top tent” that tucks under the vault cover out of the wind entirely. You should even be able to store stuff under it.

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
It should be possible to have a “roof top tent” that tucks under the vault cover out of the wind entirely. You should even be able to store stuff under it.
that would be the jam, if easily removable?

I get the appeal of an in-envelope tent solution, and the drawbacks (esp offroad) of a tow-behind.

just feels like for the majority of folks something they could tilt upright on the fenders in the back corner of the garage would have a lot of use, without eating up the cargo/being perm-attached or some such

I’m also not a good judge of these use-cases. With the exception of long duration overlanders, it doesn’t ressonate with me when people say essentially “I want to really get away from it all … but sleep in a vehicle”

( bias towards hiking in/out or equine)

Reactions: Jow

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
After camping in my Model Y I’ve realized that for the type of camping I do—overland/ off-grid—Range is king. Unless there is a solar panel, there needs to be something to offset parasitic drain.

Which brings up the biggie I can’t believe nobody (self included) has brought up which is solar panels. Onboard and/ or fold out panels..

OP
OP
Gurule92

Gurule92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MYP
Occupation
"Cyber" stuff
Country flag
I'm stoopid with electrical theory, so hoping someone can enlighten if the same size solar panels on the roof would see any power or performance increases simply from being 48v panels vs 12v? That might be an unexpected side effect of the switch to 48v in the truck.

🤷‍♂️
Let me preface by saying I don't know anything.

Okay cool, so my uneducated guess is, a 48v low voltage architecture would have no affect on solar. I think this because I am guessing that the solar would not be wired up to the low voltage system at all. I would imagine that the solar panels would be configured in such a way that they would provide the high voltage system power.

Now, if they were 48v panels vs 24v panels, technically you would need half as many panels to get to the total voltage you were shooting for by wiring in series. This would be separate from your question though because they could use whatever voltage solar panels they wanted even if the low voltage system was 12v (based on my assumptions).

Again, I'm just winging it and have no idea so don't listen to me lol.

OP
OP
Gurule92

Gurule92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MYP
Occupation
"Cyber" stuff
Country flag
Which brings up the biggie I can’t believe nobody (self included) has brought up which is solar panels. Onboard and/ or fold out panels..
We mentioned em lol

Deleted member 3316

Now that we know about the accessory squad and we know the winch boys are in the house. What other Tesla branded accessories do you want? Tent? Camp kitchen?

Will other manufacturers start making 48v accessories?

1. If they’re making a winch then a bed mounted crane shouldn’t be too difficult.

2. Not sure if the Venn diagram would encapsulate enough people for a snow blower/plough.

3. If they’re planning to have Cybertruck be the 21st century Unimog then a back hoe option could be useful for council fleets.

4. Integrated UHF/VHF/CB radio into UI of centre screen… does 48v make a radio more powerful? Could the BAW do double duty as an antenna?

5. Work lights? Driving lights are likely to be class leading anyway.
  6. Integrated toolboxes frunk, Rear seats and Vault.

7. Back in the consumer world a camp kitchen a la Rivian should be on the cards. But where they put it would cause some consternation. Replacement rear seat and slide out kitchen? Or frunk kitchen with a drop down “grille”. The unveil images had a swing out option from the vault. I’m a big fan of the frunk option as lighting would already be there. However, that may get in the way of a….

8. Fold out frunk tent. Use the bonnet as the main structure then an extension to make the frunk 2ish metres deep. (The vault would be full of gear already).

9. Fridge for the centre console or rearseat or frunk or whatever, (discuss on whether it should be 48v🤷🏽‍♂️, 110v🤣, or 240v.👍🏼) Elon briefly suggested a watermaker as part of the HVAC/ thermal management system… full integration of refrigeration could be innovative.

10. Staying with the kitchen, water storage (see ☝) with 48v pump.

11. An induction stove. How many people are going to forget the frypan and just shove the induction stove up against the bonnet.🤣 (yes, the stainless probably isn’t magnetic)

12. Wifi camera for backing a trailer, solo spotter on fire trails or just hidden security whilst camping.

13. Back to camping. Batwing awning that flips out from under the vault.

14. On to 4x4 recovery, Clearly a winch is an option but custom rims that could include or accept a bush winch would be awesome.

15. Also, the air suspension will need to have individual control to negate the need for a jack but in big situations a high lift jack option either air powered or 240v with jack points for the….

16. Heavy duty slide rails and front/rear bumpers with attachments for…

17. Dual spare wheel carriers.

18. Will Tesla design their own trailer hitch for…

19. Tesla flat bed trailer with driven wheels and V2X battery that has enough energy to negate the towing of the trailer and load. Having V2X also means it can back up house and participate in grid balancing when not using trailer.

20. Last but not least an ATV that will likely get immediately torn down and rebuilt into a two wheeled weapon. 🏍
    Much to Elons horror. 😱

Last edited by a moderator:

Coolbreeze704

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Model Y, 23 Lightning, CyberTruck (someday)
Occupation
GM Manufactured Homes
Country flag
Cybertuck shaped air freshener would be 1st on my list along with Cybertruck family of stickers to put on my back window. Beast mode cybertruck for dad, standard Cybertruck for mom, and little Wolverine Cybertucks for the kiddies. Maybe some Cyberquads for the dog and cat.

Please do not like this post. It will incriminate you.

Last edited:

Deleted member 3316

Agreed, I would be cool with 120v using the bed plug but I want solar for sure. Just a few miles a day would be plenty for camping. If it can combat phantom drain and kitchen use then it's enough
Enough with this 120v AC ridiculousness😂.
The rest of the world uses 240v AC.

48v is going to be DC, so possibly the solar tonneau is designed to output voltage in that range. Less losses from DC/DC conversion could make the system more efficient.

Status
Not open for further replies.