Barb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Model S
Occupation
retired teacher
Country flag
I thought I read that solar was going to be integrated. I'm wondering if the tonneau cover has some sort of capability built in. What would be great would be some sort of easy and moveable plow, both for earthworks and snow.
Sponsored

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I am not sure how many generic plow you will have access to that are 48V. But you can get the 48V down to 12V for "older" plows...
I’m betting they have a simple adaptor you can use. If not Tesla, someone else will.

CostcoSamples

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Odyssey
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Here's my wish list:
- Cyberquad and tailgate ramp
- Storage cubbies under seats.
- Optional instrument cluster
- Deployable drone for terrain scanning etc
- Rails and skid plates to protect battery
- Recovery hooks
- Winch
- Overlanding accessories like bed topper with tons of storage
- Solar charger

SolarWizard

First Name
MB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
3.0L JT // Quad CT
Occupation
solar, DCFC & battery biz owner
Country flag
A couple things here.

Whether dog mode is left on doesn’t change how much power the car generates. It’s 4-5 at the end of the day regardless.

There is no reason adding solar should add significant weight. If it adds more than 20 pounds, I’d be shocked. A lot of the bulk of solar panels is in framing and Tesla can integrate that into the design. Any design which requires bulk would not work with the retracting covers regardless.

For me, just being able to park for a couple days and having state of charge be flat or rising slightly instead of dropping every day will be super nice.
It affects how much energy lands in the battery, I did not say production. If it doesn’t land in the battery its not adding range.

I just got done working with First Solar on some details related to their new production facility in Decatur, AL. A few of us old timers in customer facing side of this industry spend lots of time helping Tier 1 suppliers translate engineering ideas into deployable products. I have a very solid base of knowledge the details of all PV module ingredients. We’ve also found solutions for some of the countless solar roof problems. Adding the right amount of structure to protect the wafers and keep the track system would be difficult enough before considering of the wear and tear associated with the wiring necessary to keep the series and parallel circuits healthy.

The “best” solutions are a foldable array (which is of course still susceptible to theft and wind but can readily point at my business partner) or integrating the solar cells into the glass roof as an option. Drawbacks to option two being weird shadows in the truck and much less performance, especially in high heat. Fisker is chasing that option and I feel it’ll be more trouble than its worth ultimately.

SolarWizard

First Name
MB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
3.0L JT // Quad CT
Occupation
solar, DCFC & battery biz owner
Country flag
Tie-down track attachments. See sample pic.
Screenshot_20230313_105707_Amazon Shopping.jpg

There appears to be an L track in the new composite bed designs. Hopefully its not some bespoke patented design forcing attachments to be had from tesla. The D rings look like they are in the 800-1000lb range. Plenty of versatility and all around way better than a stainless bed like the OG

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
It affects how much energy lands in the battery, I did not say production. If it doesn’t land in the battery its not adding range.
With a name like SolarWizard I’d expect a little better here.

Dog Mode “costs” a certain amount of power regardless of whether solar is installed or not. If dog mode is running and you have no solar power to offset that drain, your range goes down while you are in dog mode.

Solar offsets that drain. Arguably, dog mode being run direct off of solar is better because that energy doesn’t have to round trip to the battery which has some losses and generates heat.

Integration is arguably the big challenge to solar, but Aptera figured out how to integrate solar into its fairly thin skin vehicle with curved surfaces. I’m pretty sure Tesla can figure it out with broad flat surfaces. Maybe rear window only makes more sense as others have suggested.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Tie-down track attachments. See sample pic.
There appears to be an L track in the new composite bed designs. Hopefully its not some bespoke patented design forcing attachments to be had from tesla. The D rings look like they are in the 800-1000lb range. Plenty of versatility and all around way better than a stainless bed like the OG
L Track is definitely in every version of the Cybertruck. I don’t think it’s a proprietary design… that would suck.

OP
OP
Gurule92

Gurule92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MYP
Occupation
"Cyber" stuff
Country flag
Rear window that opens for ventilation
Unknown.jpeg

Deer guard
FIT-030-3.jpg
98.5% sure the rear window rolls down.

Brush guard could be cool. Anyone photoshop that yet?

OP
OP
Gurule92

Gurule92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MYP
Occupation
"Cyber" stuff
Country flag
OP
OP
Gurule92

Gurule92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MYP
Occupation
"Cyber" stuff
Country flag
Using 1mm Crome tubing to protect the hardened 3mm stainless on the front of the Cybertruck. :D

Please don’t do this. Shouldn’t actually need it and will likely trash your range.
4mm stainless brush guard.
Looks > range. 🦚

Luftpilot

First Name
Axel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-350, HD Nightrod Special, Toyota Highlander
Occupation
Adventure nut
Country flag
Front AND rear hitch receiver. Can the tailgate be removed? If not, a removable tailgate. Front AND rear charging ports.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.