Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Rav4, Tri-motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
Elon keeps mentioning Baja. Like thats somehow the test for trucks. Those really are highly specialized vehicles that happen to be in the shape of a truck. Anyway, I wouldn't be surprised if they came out with a baja kit to make it look like a baja ready truck.

I think in general what we are going to see as accessories are all those trendy things you see on the Tacomas these days that say, "I work in IT but I am really an highly prepared offroad animal". Sorry for always going after the IT guys. Tesla will offer some kind of bed rack with a tent and a side mount rack for that water container and shovel and jack. I am sure they will offer some cool camping set up like Rivian with a sink, stove, table etc. and it will cost some $7500 and the IT guys will buy it all day long.

Really I don't care about any of that. I want that gnarly stainless EV truck to take my kids out to explore and be an example to them of someone trying to make earth friendly purchases. I was hoping to get the whole family of 6 in the truck but now I guess we will have to think about that one.
He mentioned it once or twice. We keep repeating it. Big difference.
Sponsored

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Elon keeps mentioning Baja. Like thats somehow the test for trucks. Those really are highly specialized vehicles that happen to be in the shape of a truck. Anyway, I wouldn't be surprised if they came out with a baja kit to make it look like a baja ready truck.
First. There is absolutely a “Stock” class at Baja.

Like the 2017 class-winning F-150 Raptor, the Next-Gen Ranger Raptor has been built to comply with SCORE’s stock category, designed to show off the capability of stock street trucks. This means, the 3.0L twin-turbo V6, 10-speed automatic transmission, driveline and suspension are all stock.
Second, I seriously doubt anything Tesla makes for the Cybertruck is going to be made to “Look” like something. Tesla doesn’t make cars that “Look” fast but drive slow, they make cars that are fast. I’m pretty sure there Off-Roading efforts are going to be similarly structured.

The biggest challenge of completing Baja is likely to be charging stops.

TyPope

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 F150, '23 MY, '24 CT, '23 Maveric hybrid soon
Occupation
Operations Planner
Country flag
It's probably been said in all these pages but I'd add this:

IF the Cybertruck doesn't have an add-on solar vault cover because it is too difficult to articulate the panels, how about a, we'll call it trifold, solar vault cover that installs above the existing vault cover and is independent of it.

You could fold back, say, 1/3 of the solar cover and then retract the vault cover to access your cargo. What this lets you do is have large panels that are simply hinged together. They'd need to be able to plug into the truck somehow.

Further, it COULD be made to fit where the roof rack would go. If you could make it where it was flush fitting, it shouldn't affect aero much. Hmm... transparent solar in the part that would cover the roof and then more efficient plain old black ones to cover the bed...

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
There are different classes of trucks there. Some are meant to jump and go fast, others actually carry stuff.

Either way, it's a long washboard with lots of up and down and pot holes which which is shorthand for every Forest Service road in the West.

-Crissa

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag

IF the Cybertruck doesn't have an add-on solar vault cover because it is too difficult to articulate the panels, how about a, we'll call it trifold, solar vault cover that installs above the existing vault cover and is independent of it.

You could fold back, say, 1/3 of the solar cover and then retract the vault cover to access your cargo. What this lets you do is have large panels that are simply hinged together. They'd need to be able to plug into the truck somehow.

Further, it COULD be made to fit where the roof rack would go. If you could make it where it was flush fitting, it shouldn't affect aero much. Hmm... transparent solar in the part that would cover the roof and then more efficient plain old black ones to cover the bed...
If they did this, I would prefer they gave you the choice rather than both. So a tri-fold solar cover or the rolling cover. With the tri-fold cover, you would be able to recover the area under the vault for some other use which could lead to some interesting use cases, particularly if you could access it from the side similar to the Rivian tunnel.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Next time Elon tweets about Baja, ask him to airlift a few V4 SCs with megapacks
They have trucks with portable Megapacks. I could see them modifying those with fold up solar panels for the event. Not sure if the megapack storage would be enough for a big race.

anionic1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Estimator
Country flag

I would settle for direct PV DC inputs in the truck that let you series up to something like 1000V so you can bring your own panels and set them up however you want. all that stuff is pretty plug and play anyway. I would rather not add something attached that adds a bunch of weight.

TyPope

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 F150, '23 MY, '24 CT, '23 Maveric hybrid soon
Occupation
Operations Planner
Country flag
I would settle for direct PV DC inputs in the truck that let you series up to something like 1000V so you can bring your own panels and set them up however you want. all that stuff is pretty plug and play anyway. I would rather not add something attached that adds a bunch of weight.
I was originally thinking just a vault cover that plugged into the bed rail attachment points. It would be quite lightweight and, more importantly, would lock into place so someone else doesn't suddenly have your panels. While typing out my thoughts, I figured if I was dreaming up stuff, I may as well go for a larger set. The advantage to a setup like this is that it doesn't intrude into other parking spots and you don't have to do anything to make it work AND you can still utilize the bed underneath. I kept the vault cover in my plan because I could see times when you don't want the trifold in the way while hauling some oversized items.

OP
OP
Gurule92

Gurule92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MYP
Occupation
"Cyber" stuff
Country flag
I was originally thinking just a vault cover that plugged into the bed rail attachment points. It would be quite lightweight and, more importantly, would lock into place so someone else doesn't suddenly have your panels. While typing out my thoughts, I figured if I was dreaming up stuff, I may as well go for a larger set. The advantage to a setup like this is that it doesn't intrude into other parking spots and you don't have to do anything to make it work AND you can still utilize the bed underneath. I kept the vault cover in my plan because I could see times when you don't want the trifold in the way while hauling some oversized items.
Just sell me this elon

Tesla Cybertruck Official Cybertruck Accessory store is live!! Includes: Tailgate ramp, Basecamp, wrap, franz ball decal and more 1679088400167

Deleted member 3316

To get a PTO connected to the truck, you’d need some kind of dual clutch inside the Cybertruck motor assembly capable of sending power to either the wheels or the PTO (or both at the same time). Then you need an external interface for the PTO (usually a spline), plus a driveshaft going from the motor assembly to the winch, along with gearing to convert to a reasonable RPM. Tesla needs to do this without impacting the drive train’s primary function of delivering efficient power to the wheels.

All of this save the actual winch would be included in every single truck or Tesla would need a separate drive train unit for the “PTO” version.

To get an external winch operating, you need a small motor and gearbox.

I’m pretty sure I know which route Tesla will go with.
Yep, significantly simpler to have a decoupled PTO a auxiliary motor specified for use case.

The versatility will be significantly more compelling than the ICE solution; especially if there is adequate integration with the centre screen and app.

Last edited by a moderator:

Deleted member 3316

Can you explain that further? What does the inverter panel have to do with an ePTO and how would that work for a trailer?

Are you referring to electrical outlets or mechanical outlets?
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.