Sensors spotted on the front of the CT bush bashed field test are not cameras. (Flying carpet suspension!!)

nmeabrian

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Director
Country flag
The sensors on the front are not cameras, It is a system for terrain and road surface mapping, using a solid-state LiDAR sensor with a Time of flight (ToF) return receiver hence the 2 X modules. It is accurate to 1 to 2mm. It is manufactured by a company in Brussels called XenomatiX. It is used for many applications and one application that I think it is used here is the road or 4WD track surface mapping. They use it to determine the forward-looking surface terrain and make anticipated adjustments to the suspension (active suspension). This will be a game changer for all you off-roaders. Imagine if the CT could also determine the best angle of attack for extreme terrain and many other benefits. It could result in a smooth ride on bumpy surfaces You can also see that they are using a wheel odometry sensor to measure wheel speed and distance which is fused to the GPS antenna set in the middle of the roof just above the windscreen. So the coupling of all sensors including the LiDAR is called a sensor cluster all fused together with wheel odometry, GPS, and LiDAR all talking together. The XenomatiX system is expensive, north of 100k, so I am sure that they will not be using this system in the production model, but instead, they would be using it for prototyping their own similar system, most likely computer binocular camera vision to allow depth perception and pixelization to create a Sudo point cloud. (Flying carpet suspension)

Tesla Cybertruck Sensors spotted on the front of the CT bush bashed field test are not cameras. (Flying carpet suspension!!) 2022-09-01_4-25-14
Sponsored

TyPope

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 F150, '23 MY, '24 CT, '23 Maveric hybrid soon
Occupation
Operations Planner
Country flag
Rather than add sensors that Tesla has said they wouldn't be using, the Lidar is most likely being used to calibrate the cameras... Perhaps they are designing an off-road module to use the front cameras to do path prediction in off-road situations... kind of a pick-your-path type of navigation or perhaps to help better navigate potholes. LOL

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
@nmeabrian nails it
Tesla Cybertruck Sensors spotted on the front of the CT bush bashed field test are not cameras. (Flying carpet suspension!!) 580D394F-C5D0-4052-9CEE-CE27D38539CA

@TyPope is right about using it as a verification tool. Its software post-processes the data. DOJO can crunch it, time align and assign numerical quants to TeslaVISION for validation.
That’s how massive amounts of Lidar data would get crunched against RGB.

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1976 electric conversion bus
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
Rather than add sensors that Tesla has said they wouldn't be using, the Lidar is most likely being used to calibrate the cameras... Perhaps they are designing an off-road module to use the front cameras to do path prediction in off-road situations... kind of a pick-your-path type of navigation or perhaps to help better navigate potholes. LOL
I want to pick my own path off-road. Even if it is the bad one. If my CT wants to stiffen the suspension when I jump the railroad tracks great. But off-road FSD is going off.

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
I want to pick my own path off-road. Even if it is the bad one. If my CT wants to stiffen the suspension when I jump the railroad tracks great. But off-road FSD is going off.
I've ridden around 3 different racetracks with professional drivers and felt totally comfortable and enjoyed the experience. Part of that comfort is knowing those drivers were comfortable and valued their own life. I don't think I would enjoy riding in a vehicle that was hauling ass with nobody at the controls.:eek:

TyPope

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 F150, '23 MY, '24 CT, '23 Maveric hybrid soon
Occupation
Operations Planner
Country flag
I didn't say it right. What I meant is that the camera system would be able to identify, say, a rock that would cause you to high-center or identify if trees were too close to pass between them. On screen, it would outline the offending object or something like that to identify hazards that the CT can't overcome given the current direction of travel. I didn't mean that FSD would be taking the fun out of off-roading, just that it would help those of us who want a piece of land to put a house on out away from everyone and don't want to get stranded due to an avoidable obstacle.

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
I wonder if it will be able to gauge the depth of water? i.e. up to a meter ?

I wouldn't think so if it's murky, but if AI can see in the dark, what can it do with water?
Sponsored