Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Rav4, Tri-motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
Shell Plans To Deploy Around 500,000 Charging Points Globally By 2025
By: Mark Kane
Feb. 13, 2021

Shell prepares itself to get a slice of the EV charging pie.
Shell, one of the largest oil and gas company, announced a new "strategy to accelerate its transformation into a provider of net-zero emissions energy products and services."

We know that the company is already engaged in electric vehicle charging, mostly through acquisitions (The New Motion in 2017, Greenlots in 2019 and Ubitricity most recently).

The number of Shell charging points (globally) is expected to increase from about 60,000 now to about 500,000 by 2025. In the UK specifically, the network at that point should include over 5,000 charging points.
Tesla Cybertruck Shell Plans To Deploy Around 500,000 Charging Points Globally By 2025 {filename}

"Target to increase Adjusted Earnings to around $6 billion by 2025 (from $4.5 billion in 2020), achieved by improving the already market-leading position of the lubricants business, an increase to 40 million customers at 55,000 retail sites (from 30 million at 46,000 sites today) and growth of global electric vehicle (EV) network from more than 60,000 charge points today to around 500,000 by 2025."
One of the major competitors, BP, is also trying to engage in electric vehicle charging infrastructure on a mass scale.

Only time will tell whether the switch from fossil fuels to electricity will be successful because it's a significantly different business. Starting with home charging (the primary method) and trying to end the disruptive approach from some players like Tesla (Supercharging network).

https://insideevs.com/news/487881/shell-plans-500000-charging-points-globally-2025/

----------------------------------------------------------------

This will be good for everyone over the long haul. Increased availability and competition. My question, when will they be getting more of these station in the less densely populated states off the major interstates?

Tesla Cybertruck Shell Plans To Deploy Around 500,000 Charging Points Globally By 2025 1613324642939
Sponsored

Last edited:

LoPro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 DM LR
Country flag
Ok, so the number one winning factor is availability and they have access to land all over every country so that leaves getting chargers out there (and getting local grid owners to upgrade).

The next factor is not being ridiculously more expensive than the typical charger, much the same how people have been aware of the average fuel prices. Because of range EVs will put up with a bit more expensive charger out of necessity. But fuel in itself has never been a profit center for gas stations. It’s getting people to stop and use a familiar shop or fast food operation.

So Shell is basically upgrading their shops to be more relevant. You can now charge too while you eat that sweaty burger (or the other way around actually).

As far as I can see locally Circle K and other gas stations have followed another strategy by inviting other charging companies (Ionity etc.) instead to their plots of land. And their sweaty burgers.

Shell has to have some kind of great synergy with both owning the chargers and the shops. Of course an owner of that many chargers can speculate on Nordpool and get great deals on future electricity prices if they’re into that. But that’s like a new business in itself. Which they may see there’s more money in going forward than fuel sales so not a bad reason. Maybe they’ll even try to undercut Tesla Superchargers to get people to stop there. Then they need to be vertically integrated like Tesla (like the article suggests).

In any case keeping the gas stations as is isn’t an option.

Any thoughts? (I’m not thinking of)

FullyGrounded

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
blah
Country flag
Of course. Anyone wanting to ensure a happy tomorrow would do the same. Hopefully, the connection point is universal enough to allow anyone to provide charging stations. The best they could do is fill the neighboring field with solar panels and make a huge windfall. peace

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag
I think making the awning over the chargers/pumps and top of the building covered with PV panels is a start. I would also pull out one of the tanks in the ground, go to a single octane of gas, and put batteries and the transformers/chargers in the underground space freed up where the tank was.
But, no one is asking me. ;)

LoPro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 DM LR
Country flag
What are "sweaty burgers"?
I realise that’s just a direct translation of “svett burger” which is used for “not a very good burger” or “reheated burger”. I was trying to be funny, because they must and have increased the quality of their food I think.

azjohn

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tundra
Country flag
I realise that’s just a direct translation of “svett burger” which is used for “not a very good burger” or “reheated burger”. I was trying to be funny, because they must and have increased the quality of their food I think.
I like the sweaty burger term
Sponsored