Should a Shortbed Cybertruck come with a discount price ?

Geo

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru STI, KTM450EXC
Country flag
When the Short bed Cybertruck is offered, is it reasonable to expect a smaller price tag ?

After all, Tesla will save on putting about 500 lbs less Stainless Steel in it, won't they ?
Sponsored

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag
I could see this coming out a few years after the CyberTruck comes out (the CyberSport?), but the profit margins and utility of a 4 door truck is not lost on people, both private individuals and businesses.

I know places with smaller roads will need a shorter wheelbase (or the ability to turn more tightly by some means).

BillyGee

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y P, Model 3 LR, Founders CT (Ordered)
Occupation
Technician
Country flag
I can see a 2 door work truck variant becoming a thing in a few years. A cyber mini would be great so long as you don't an to use it as a family vehicle, which I do.

thejohnllama

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Nissan Leaf, 2007 Toyota Prius
Occupation
Marketing Consultant
Country flag
I would think a 2 door with much shorter wheelbase and 6.5 bed would be the ultimate off-road option. Seating for 3, throw in the toys and go play.
2-door with 6.5’ bed ?

I really want the 4-door to get an 8’ bed. Go big!!!

OP
OP

Geo

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru STI, KTM450EXC
Country flag
2-door with 6.5’ bed ?

I really want the 4-door to get an 8’ bed. Go big!!!
I also reckon a 2-door with 6 1/2 ft bed is (y)
and a 4-door with an 8 ft bed would be great if that's what you need, I'm sure your're not alone.

It's clear that people want more options, which is not surprising, as all other mainstream pickup manufactures do offer many choices.
However is it likely Tesla will, and should they offer a whole a range permutations of Cab configurations, and perhaps 4 different bed lengths ?
With different prices for each option ?

In any case, back to what we know for sure, the smaller 4 door Cybertruck that Elon has confirmed they're working on and is coming,
the one that's also been identified in the disclaimer on the Cybertruck Order page for International markets, should that be offered at a discount price ?
Given the saving of about 400 -500 lbs of Stainless Steel ?

Last edited:

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
If they make it locally (say in Germany, China, or some yet to be built factory), the price will be independent of US pricing, much like the Model 3 in China is being adjusted to fit the market and conditions there.

OP
OP

Geo

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru STI, KTM450EXC
Country flag
If they make it locally (say in Germany, China, or some yet to be built factory), the price will be independent of US pricing, much like the Model 3 in China is being adjusted to fit the market and conditions there.
There's no reason identified to believe the 2nd additional version of the Cybertruck won't be built at the same factory the first one comes from.
Let alone a reason that offsets all the benefits of building them at the same factory. At this point in time.
Perhaps many years from now when volumes have increased greatly.

Bigfoot DeLorean

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover
Country flag
I think the two most relevant variables that would answer your question are 1) does the vehicle actually cost less to produce and 2) what will the market pay?

Just because you use a little less stainless steel on a smaller model doesn’t mean it’s a material cost savings to tesla. I could see the incremental labor, unique dies, additional engineering , regulatory testing of the new body, etc outweighing the small savings on stainless. Especially if they sell materially fewer units than the flagship full size mode. It’s not like you’re buying green bean...the cost of the stainless is likely a very small component of everything going into it.

There’s definitely an emotional connection to paying less for something smaller, but we often pay MORE for something smaller too (eg iphones). Unless there was huge demand for a smaller version, it’s probably more expensive to produce than the full size.

Case in point on the #2 above - if you REALLY wanted that smaller version, but it was prices $5k HIGHER than the standard size, would you pay it? Some would. Others would have a hard time reconciling the smaller size/higher cost and go full size or pass on it entirely.

Of course, Tesla could accept lower margins on it, but then what’s the incentive to make it in the first place?

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Of course, Tesla could accept lower margins on it, but then what’s the incentive to make it in the first place?
Which is why I think they will only produce the international (smaller wheel base) truck in their factories in those continents were it is likely to be a higher volume seller than the fullsize CyberTruck, which will be the higher volume seller here in the US.

But, I have been wrong before and could be wrong here. Only time will tell.

It is not out of the realm of possibility though.

OP
OP

Geo

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru STI, KTM450EXC
Country flag
Which is why I think they will only produce the international (smaller wheel base) truck in their factories in those continents were it is likely to be a higher volume seller than the fullsize CyberTruck, which will be the higher volume seller here in the US.

But, I have been wrong before and could be wrong here. Only time will tell.

It is not out of the realm of possibility though.
Lower volume sales in the U.S., looks to still be a greater volume than all other International markets combined !
If so, its still much more reasonable to produce them both in the same factory in the U.S.

If I'm not mistaken there is no other single market for pickups ( Longbed / Shortbed ) bigger than the U.S.

Ie. if there is approx. 500 k Cybertrucks reserved, of which 150 k are for international markets.
It's easily foreseeable shortbed sales in the U.S. alone would exceed 150 k units.
(Whatever the figure, its certainly bigger than any other single international market)

But as to price, perhaps Bigfoot De Lorean is right, there may not be a price difference between the two versions, Longbed and Shortbed.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Geo

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru STI, KTM450EXC
Country flag
Considering how Elon stated the Cybertruck “Needs to kick butt in Baja”
and they’re “ . . . increasing dynamic air suspension travel for better off-roading”

If he’s even remotely serious, which I have no doubt he is, doesn’t that mean they are preparing to race,

the Shortbed Cybertruck (around 125” wheelbase) !

It will be around 550 lbs lighter, have more range, and intrinsically handle better,
by far, a better and essential, off - roading and energy efficient package ?

As he’s already confirmed a smaller Cybertruck is currently being worked on, and April 17 he tweeted
“Reviewing overall system with vehicle engineering team next week. Should have number then.”

Here's the message from myself Captain Obvious ;) or am I wrong ?

NEWS FLASH : SHORTBED CYBERTRUCK RACING BAJA. Announcement coming very soon.

Last edited:

Newton

First Name
Newton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
p̶r̶i̶u̶s̶ c̶,̶ y̶o̶t̶a̶ p̶i̶c̶k̶u̶p, ⼕丫⻏?尺セ尺ㄩ⼕长
Country flag
There's really no reason to make a short bed (or modified at all really) truck for baja... the whole point (I would assume) is to take a production truck through one of the most grueling racing/environments around (or at least that's how baja is marketed) and have it do great.

Ford did this with the badass raptor and it honestly made me think about getting one.

OP
OP

Geo

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru STI, KTM450EXC
Country flag
There's really no reason to make a short bed (or modified at all really) truck for baja... the whole point (I would assume) is to take a production truck through one of the most grueling racing/environments around (or at least that's how baja is marketed) and have it do great.

Ford did this with the badass raptor and it honestly made me think about getting one.
Good Point Newton about bring what you got, but I think you've missed a couple of points. Tesla is bringing what they've got.

The Shortbed Cybertruck will also be a production vehicle. Elon confirmed it in December.
And Tesla notes it in the Order Page for Countries other than U.S.
Its not being made for the Baja, its going to be used for the Baja because its obviously a better option than the Long Wheelbase Cybertruck.

The shortbed Cybertruck will be in production and is a version of Cybertruck that intrinsically is more suited for racing the Baja, than the long wheelbase Cybertruck. Especially critical given energy management imperatives, and looking for optimal Off-road ability.

But like the Dhaka Rally, I'm sure even the Long Wheelbase Cybertruck will be awesome to watch, like the Russian Kamaz Trucks and the Czech Tatra's. But like Ford at Baja, they all brought their most suitable configuration of truck, not their least.

Unless your suggesting Tesla's Long wheelbase truck has better suited off road ability and is lighter and more energy efficient than their Short Wheelbase truck ;)

Last edited: