Should we expect the Cybertruck to get terrible reviews?

CyberSleuth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hot Wheels 1:10 Cybertruck
Country flag
As we've all been watching firsthand, the mainstream media's coverage of Elon Musk/Tesla has completely flipped in the past year or so.

He's gone from Person of the Year saving the world with a Midas touch, to a "controversial" figure that is slammed in the press just about every day.

Should we expect the mainstream car reviewers to continue this trend with the Cybertruck?

Will brands like Motortrend, Car & Driver, Consumer Reports, Edmunds etc. be unbiased in their coverage?

Where's the first source you'll turn to for an honest review of the Cybertruck?
Sponsored

RVAC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
-
They'll try and slam it in every way possible, that's why I think it would be crucial to come out with the 500mi range first and ensure that sail storage makes it to the production truck.

slomo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
No. Much of the basic experience of CT will be close to the 3/Y. I don't recall the major auto sites having a problem with those vehicles. Spartan, fast, superior software.

Some people are going to strongly prefer the feature set of an F150 over the CT at a similar price point. That's fair enough.

The idea that Tesla and Musk are beleaguered by massive amounts of unfair criticism is ridiculous. Musk has earned both the praise and criticism he receives.

ED_SFO

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3
Country flag
I think when reviewers get over the polarizing looks, and step inside and actually use it for what its meant for, things will be on the positive I'm sure. The electric truck market bar is not set that high tbh. CT needs to be priced competitively and be more efficient which Tesla has been doing for years now. When final specs are out I'm sure it will beat majority of specs from other manufacturers at every trim level. Other manufacturers are prob scared to death of CT start of production. Although Tesla is late to the game, we should be able to gain substantial market share by end of year 1.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
One of the auto magazines just did a review of the ā€œ4 best electric SUVsā€ and Tesla wasnā€™t on the list.

Weā€™ve already seen articles talking about how the Cybertruck will flop.

Does anyone seriously think there will be non-biased reviews on the Cybertruck?

BayouCityBob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3
Country flag
I think this depends a lot on how Tesla positions this vehicle. Ford, GM, and Ram pickups have become super-plush lounges. CT is not going to be that. If Tesla positions this as a bad-assed, tough-as-nails, work truck with best-in-class capabilities on the stuff that matters (load, towing, range, charging) and pricing to match a vehicle made for work, I think it will be reviewed exceptionally well. It depends on how the vehicle is positioned. If it is positioned a cool F150 Platinum or Ram super-lounge (or whatever they are calling that thing) then it will compare unfavorably. ("Ford has lay-flat seats, with full leather wrapped lazy-boy heated cup holders and shiatsu massage blah blah blah").

Think about RIvian. It was positioned as an off-road adventure vehicle, not a pickup. Yes, there were a few comparisons to Ford, but by-in-large it was compared with Range Rover and Jeep and the like.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
If Tesla positions this as a bad-assed, tough-as-nails, work truck with best-in-class capabilities on the stuff that matters (load, towing, range, charging) and pricing to match a vehicle made for work, I think it will be reviewed exceptionally well. It depends on how the vehicle is positioned.
Color me skeptical, but my feeling is if Tesla positions it as a work truck reviewers will rave about the Lightning. There will be one-sided reviews that talk up things like the mega-power-frunk, their home integration, 10+ outlets, Fordā€™s service network, and traditional design breathlesslyā€¦ while ignoring range, cost to operate, actual reliability, and cargo capacity.

Thatā€™s basically how they treat the Model Y so I wouldnā€™t expect them to turn a new leaf for the Cybertruck.

The same people who will be reviewing this truck were calling it an elaborate joke not long ago. Many of them have said fairly recently they think it wonā€™t be released.

scottf200

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X
Country flag
I think this depends a lot on how Tesla positions this vehicle. Ford, GM, and Ram pickups have become super-plush lounges. CT is not going to be that. If Tesla positions this as a bad-assed, tough-as-nails, work truck with best-in-class capabilities on the stuff that matters (load, towing, range, charging) and pricing to match a vehicle made for work, I think it will be reviewed exceptionally well. It depends on how the vehicle is positioned. If it is positioned a cool F150 Platinum or Ram super-lounge (or whatever they are calling that thing) then it will compare unfavorably. ("Ford has lay-flat seats, with full leather wrapped lazy-boy heated cup holders and shiatsu massage blah blah blah").

Think about RIvian. It was positioned as an off-road adventure vehicle, not a pickup. Yes, there were a few comparisons to Ford, but by-in-large it was compared with Range Rover and Jeep and the like.
Curious. From many things, I see Ford, GM, and RAM, are positioning their vehicles as work trucks in several ways. That is their long standing mantra that they will lean into. They talk about functionality, affordability, and have fleet targeted trims. They just also have modernized the inside of them because people use them as traveling offices.

It does not seem like Tesla is targeting the CT as a full featured work+office truck to me.

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
One of the auto magazines just did a review of the ā€œ4 best electric SUVsā€ and Tesla wasnā€™t on the list.

I'm sure there will be some critical things to write about. But I don't think it will be all critical.

Motortrend was given exclusive pre-access before the reveal (which could be considered a reason for pro/bias). They wrote several good articles in November 2019. Here's the main article with lots of photos and links to their other articles.

https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/tesla-cybertruck-electric-pickup-photos-info/

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I'm sure there will be some critical things to write about. But I don't think it will be all critical.

Motortrend was given exclusive pre-access before the reveal (which could be considered a reason for pro/bias). They wrote several good articles in November 2019. Here's the main article with lots of photos and links to their other articles.

https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/tesla-cybertruck-electric-pickup-photos-info/

These companies get paid for selling advertising. They write good reviews for companies that advertise with them, and they write good reviews for companies that get them exclusive content.

Tesla got them content.

Maybe Tesla does it again? They donā€™t do it with the Model Y or any of their other cars, so Iā€™m doubtful. Probably be another Jay Leno segment (heā€™s up and running again!).

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag

I guess I seriously think there will be non-biased reviews.

At least, as much as any vehicle receives non-biased reviews.

Do I see shoddy reporting? Do I see sensationalist reporting? Do I see EV-skeptical reporting? Sure. Sure. And sure.

But I canā€™t say that I see it disproportionately directed at Tesla or the CT, in any way unbefitting a company and product that by their intended nature draw strong opinions. I mean, just look at the CT. Does it look like a people-pleaser?

I say all the above with earnestness, before and absent the observation that one manā€™s ā€œhit pieceā€ is another manā€™s giddy grave-dancing. Imagine 9 months and ~25,000 units into the CT thereā€™s a battery module issue that effects 100 CTs, not technically qualifying as a recall, Tesla reaches out to owners based on OTA error codes to fix the issue, and sets in on repairs. Picture it?

Well that instead just happened to the Ford Lightning (mine was one of the hundred), CNBC wrote a few pieces on it, and over here in the forum there were a few giggly grave-dancing moments.

Biases run both directions, simultaneously - once thatā€™s accounted for, I expect there to be several ā€˜goodā€™ reviews of the CT.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I guess I seriously think there will be non-biased reviews.

At least, as much as any vehicle receives non-biased reviews.

Do I see shoddy reporting? Do I see sensationalist reporting? Do I see EV-skeptical reporting? Sure. Sure. And sure.

But I canā€™t say that I see it disproportionately directed at Tesla or the CT, in any way unbefitting a company and product that by their intended nature draw strong opinions. I mean, just look at the CT. Does it look like a people-pleaser?

I say all the above with earnestness, before and absent the observation that one manā€™s ā€œhit pieceā€ is another manā€™s giddy grave-dancing. Imagine 9 months and ~25,000 units into the CT thereā€™s a battery module issue that effects 100 CTs, not technically qualifying as a recall, Tesla reaches out to owners based on OTA error codes to fix the issue, and sets in on repairs. Picture it?

Well that instead just happened to the Ford Lightning (mine was one of the hundred), CNBC wrote a few pieces on it, and over here in the forum there were a few giggly grave-dancing moments.

Biases run both directions, simultaneously - once thatā€™s accounted for, I expect there to be several ā€˜goodā€™ reviews of the CT.
You are missing the point here. Ford pays millions in advertising so they donā€™t get headlines like these. People barely batted an eye about the 230 mile range on the base F150 and the media has barely spewed more than the barest drop of ink on the Ford battery recall which caused 2 vehicle fires.

Do you genuinely expect objective reviews from these people?

Where exactly are the articles complaining about the Ram or the Silverado being ā€œToo Little Too Lateā€?
https://news.yahoo.com/tesla-cybertruck-finally-arriving-2023-194200274.html

These companies run on advertising, you play ball or you get headlines like this:

https://www.musclecarsandtrucks.com/the-tesla-cybertruck-is-a-joke/

https://mashable.com/article/elon-musk-tesla-cybertruck

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/tesla-cybertruck
Sponsored