Shouldn’t Cybertruck have 5G?

Known-Background

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ModelY, Cybertruck AWD
Country flag
Why doesn’t it? Won’t it suck when next year Tesla models get it and our most cutting edge tech truck, that I bought 2024 doesn’t have it?
Sponsored

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Maybe you should wait until you find out more about it. How do you know that HW4 isn't upward compatible with 5G. And just think of the 2 million plus owners that are on HW3 or earlier. How is Tesla going to go to a private 5G network for their fleet without bringing the entire fleet along?

Wraven

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Foundations CyberBeast, M3P, MYP
Country flag
Why doesn’t it? Won’t it suck when next year Tesla models get it and our most cutting edge tech truck, that I bought 2024 doesn’t have it?
Won't it suck when technology progresses in a year and your year old truck doesn't get it? This makes no sense. Don't buy a new phone...its going to suck in a year... or anything in tech for that matter.

Gurule92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MYP
Occupation
"Cyber" stuff
Country flag
The higher the speeed the more data used. $10 a month is not a lot and I'm imagining that att bill will be higher for Tesla if they let us blaze

cgladue

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Model S 75D, 2018 Model 3 Performance
Occupation
Software Architect
Country flag
The higher the speeed the more data used. $10 a month is not a lot and I'm imagining that att bill will be higher for Tesla if they let us blaze
how does higher speed equal more data used ?

FutureTruck

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX P, Lucid Air GT
2025 version will have 5g and a bunch of other things this version should. Foundation Series is for people who want the new flashy truck, if Tesla is going to keep CT around for 10 years they will need to make big improvements on it to appeal to folks who don't have a lot of discretionary income and need a solid vehicle. They are great as they are now for folks like me who have them as a 4th or 5th vehicle but not as someone's sole mode of transportation. Show car for now, with potential down the road if Tesla makes the needed adjustments.

Gurule92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MYP
Occupation
"Cyber" stuff
Country flag
how does higher speed equal more data used ?
Because if you are limited to slower speeds then you are limited to lower quality video streaming and that causes less data to watch the same movie.

If you have high speeds, then you have higher quality videos and you eat up data faster.

Nav and stuff wouldn't change

But you might use the browser more because it doesn't take 30 years to load a page. You might be more inclined to use the apps in the car like Spotify instead of Bluetooth

Stuff like that.

OP
OP
Known-Background

Known-Background

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ModelY, Cybertruck AWD
Country flag

countryboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3 | Cybertruck FS AWD
Country flag
They are great as they are now for folks like me who have them as a 4th or 5th vehicle but not as someone's sole mode of transportation. Show car for now, with potential down the road if Tesla makes the needed adjustments.
This is wrong IMO. It makes a great sole mode of transportation, because the lacking features are more specific use cases (midgate for camping, range for towing, etc). Expensive perhaps but if you don't need 6-7 seats, no reason it isn't as good or better daily driver than a M3, MY, MS, or MX. In fact, I'm worried the wife will take over my CT and I'll end up with "her car" the M3P because they mitigated the "truck feel" so much she won't be intimidated to drive it.

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Model Y, Cybertruck AWD
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
What do you expect 5G will get you? What are you losing with 4G?

Tesla's agreement with the cellular providers may very well include provisions that keep them from using 5G modems. Mass data contracts like Tesla's are often relatively restrictive in capabilities.

tbuck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2000 F150 Lariat - Cybertruck Res #113xxx
Country flag
There are a couple of things at play here:
- Cost. Providers are charging more for 5G

- Signal/Peformance. 5G frequencies are shorter wavelengths than 4G (or even 3G) - meaning they are easily blocked resulting in slower speeds. A moving vehicle with hills, buildings, and other obstructions between them and the nearest tower equate to poor performance. Also, the shorter wavelength goes a shorter distance before fading compared to a 4G signal - the result are slower speeds when farther from a tower (even with a clear line of site). Anyone that has an in-car adapter with 5G (usually plugs into the ODBII port) has experienced this (myself as well). I get consistently better/faster/higher quality connections on the road on 4G vs. 5G -especially when away from the city.

- Hardware. There are normally hardware boards that act as the modem for wireless service. These can be swapped/upgraded in most cases. I had to do so when AT&T shutdown one of its older networks that Ford used and had to take the car in to have the modem swapped.

So, even though it may not have 5G today - that is not necessarily a bad thing. However, there is a better than not chance it can be easily upgraded when Tesla supports it and service price is right.
Sponsored