ituner-HF

First Name
Andrei
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
S, X and 3, Waiting for Cybertruck
Country flag
What happened to the side sail storage area? I no longer see it in the latest cybertruck prototype...
Sponsored

Throwcomputer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
07 Ridgeline, Vintage Vespas, 02 Harley Sportster
Occupation
TV & Film
Country flag
What happened to the side sail storage area? I no longer see it in the latest cybertruck prototype...
It was never visible in the prototype.. just mentioned. I don't recall ever seeing a photo with a side sail compartment door opened. Probably one of those less important features they tossed aside when it came to actually manufacturing the thing.

Bill906

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Country flag
I don't recall ever seeing a photo with a side sail compartment door opened.
Tesla Cybertruck Side sail area? 1643061196502

I didn’t see any seams in the pictures of the latest CT in that area. Maybe they didn’t put the doors on this prototype, maybe the seams are there but I didn’t see them. Maybe that area is accessed differently now (from inside the vault?) or, maybe (unlikely) that space is no longer available to the user.

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
At 0:12 in the video, you can see a gap going up above the rear door that would indicate a door for the sail area. BTW, this was also visible at the correct angles for the first CT.

Here's a framegrab.

Tesla Cybertruck Side sail area? saildoor

Bigvbear

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ts.la
Vehicles
2001 Chevy Tracker, 2018 Jeep Cherokee
Occupation
IT
Country flag
1643061196502.png

I didn’t see any seams in the pictures of the latest CT in that area. Maybe they didn’t put the doors on this prototype, maybe the seams are there but I didn’t see them. Maybe that area is accessed differently now (from inside the vault?) or, maybe (unlikely) that space is no longer available to the user.
Maybe they went one better and the whole side lifts up (like a gull wing door)

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
At 0:12 in the video, you can see a gap going up above the rear door that would indicate a door for the sail area. BTW, this was also visible at the correct angles for the first CT.

Here's a framegrab.

saildoor.jpg
That line does not necessarily indicate a dor for the sail area. Where are you expecting the hinge or latch? In theory there could be a hinge or latch at the top near where the tonneau cover rail is. But then where is the other part? It looks like the whole side from the tonneau cover on down to the wheels is one solid piece.

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1976 electric conversion bus
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
It is definitely gone, unless you can somehow access the area from the bed. This would have been very handy for storing tie downs, fishing pole, commonly used tools etc.

Structurally I think it needed the uninterrupted skin.

Maybe the frunk is that much better.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag

Here's a framegrab.

saildoor.jpg
I sure hope it’s still there. Though looking at it, I have to wonder how you would open it. It would sure be a little bit irritating having to open the Tesla app each time. Maybe one of those buttons along the vault rail.

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
That line does not necessarily indicate a dor for the sail area. Where are you expecting the hinge or latch? In theory there could be a hinge or latch at the top near where the tonneau cover rail is. But then where is the other part? It looks like the whole side from the tonneau cover on down to the wheels is one solid piece.
The hinge is inside the door opening from the top like they showed at the reveal. Probably no latch like you see on gas cover doors. And it senses your key to unlock. Then you push in to release the latch. It's very hard to see the bottom of the sail door, which "should" be where the angle is.

Edit, here's a frame grab that shows the bottom of the sail storage door. It takes a HD video to see it.

Tesla Cybertruck Side sail area? sailbottom

Last edited:

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
The hinge is inside the door opening from the top like they showed at the reveal. Probably no latch like you see on gas cover doors. And it senses your key to unlock. Then you push in to release the latch. It's very hard to see the bottom of the sail door, which "should" be where the angle is.

Edit, here's a frame grab that shows the bottom of the sail storage door. It takes a HD video to see it.

sailbottom.jpg
If there is an broken edge, as you show in this screen grab, then there might still be a sail door. I wasn't sure what I'd do with the space but they did say it would be there.

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
If there is an broken edge, as you show in this screen grab, then there might still be a sail door. I wasn't sure what I'd do with the space but they did say it would be there.
Perfect place to keep adaptors and home charging cable?

ED_SFO

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3
Country flag
There shouldn't be any reason for that area to be in two pieces unless it has that sail storage I'm thinking. The more locked storage areas the greater the benefit over the competition.

I think most of my worries are put to rest except for pricing and length and solar tonneau cover pricing.

4 wheel steering
drivers instrument cluster display
Overall length shorter than 231"
Non hideous single blade wiper
No door handles

Are all looking pretty great additions to prototype. Waiting for more Easter eggs you guys are discovering.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I’d probably keep my chainsaw in there if it’ll fit. Failing that, chaps, helmet, saw, camel pack, glove…. A lot of the various bits and pieces which I don’t want bouncing around in the vault when I’m going riding or doing trail work.

Also, when I go to the hardware store and pick up a bunch of lumber, I often end up with a bag of other smaller bits. Nails, fixtures, hoses, adhesives, sealants, etc. Don’t really want those bouncing around in the bed either.

Frunk also works for this stuff. In a normal truck this stuff ends up in the cabin.
Sponsored