Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair Corsa, Mini Cooper, T880 Kenworth, CT
Occupation
Excavation Company
Country flag
If they stick with the tried and true self adjusting air ride suspension that is on 90% of all commercial big rigs, Land Rovers, Mercedes, Cybertruck etc we won't have a problem. The truck should stay as level as a plumb bob.
Sponsored

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
If they stick with the tried and true self adjusting air ride suspension that is on 90% of all commercial big rigs, Land Rovers, Mercedes, Cybertruck etc we won't have a problem. The truck should stay as level as a plumb bob.
Payload is limited to only 1,300. With my wife, 2 boys & myself, without any of our stuff. That only leaves 500lbs for tongue weight while towing. Tongue weight is supposed to be 10% of whatever you are towing.

So that would mean max. towing 5000lbs. No bueno!!!!!

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 Perform, FS Cybertruck
Country flag
Are you seriously saying all 1/2 crew cabs have only 1300 lbs. payload capacity?

Rutrow

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Model 3, CyberTruck Tri-motor reservation
Occupation
Firefighter
Country flag
There once was a time when 1/2 ton meant half ton of payload ability. 3/4 ton, three quarters of a ton of payload ability, etc. F-150 could haul 1500 lbs. and and a Chevy 2500 could carry.... wait for it... 2500 lbs.!!!
When a 1/2 ton of payload became a laughably small amount of payload capacity when American's obesity problem limited the number of passengers a truck could carry, manufactures beefed up the engines and suspension, but kept the time honored names. The numbers these days are just a guide to the range of payload and towing you can option for a given model.

If you want to know at a glance what your truck can haul, the truck "class" is a better guide, as it denotes the GVWR. This can be tricky because it has to also account for not only payload, but the weight of the vehicle too. Weighty options like a four wheel drive transfer case, larger tires or a larger fuel tank can reduce the payload of even a higher class truck.

Refer to the GVWR/payload sticker in the door frame of the actual truck you're looking at the determine how much cargo you can safely carry in your truck.

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
There once was a time when 1/2 ton meant half ton of payload ability. 3/4 ton, three quarters of a ton of payload ability, etc. F-150 could haul 1500 lbs. and and a Chevy 2500 could carry.... wait for it... 2500 lbs.!!!
When a 1/2 ton of payload became a laughably small amount of payload capacity when American's obesity problem limited the number of passengers a truck could carry, manufactures beefed up the engines and suspension, but kept the time honored names. The numbers these days are just a guide to the range of payload and towing you can option for a given model.

If you want to know at a glance what your truck can haul, the truck "class" is a better guide, as it denotes the GVWR. This can be tricky because it has to also account for not only payload, but the weight of the vehicle too. Weighty options like a four wheel drive transfer case, larger tires or a larger fuel tank can reduce the payload of even a higher class truck.

Refer to the GVWR/payload sticker in the door frame of the actual truck you're looking at the determine how much cargo you can safely carry in your truck.
There was another issue besides obesity. Years ago when it was a 1/2 ton meant 1000 pounds. 1/2 tons were 2 door trucks. 4 door trucks were rare years ago.
Also as you said, weighty options reduce payload. These OEM electric pickups are VERY heavy. And that is causing the limited payload capacity issues.
Bring on the Cybertruck!!!!!

Ehninger1212

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3 E-Tron - 2005 Land Rover LR3 - T-Bucket - 1951 chevy 3100
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag
I really have not much to say about this truck.. Just kinda.. meh.

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1976 electric conversion bus
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
My takeaway as well. I thought they very purposefully mixed prices, dates, and options in flashy unclear way. Almost like they have a full time marketing team worrying more about the how they can mislead without actually lying.

39k? For a base model with no details on what it is...
20,000 pound towing? for a future to be announced version
400 mile range? "GM estimated"
Deliveries? "Starting next year with some models"

Overall I thought the truck looked pretty interesting, but I am just so turned off by all the corporate BS in the presentation and all the marketing slight of hand.

350kw charging is great assuming the charge curve is similar to current top battery chemistries.
This is all classic distraction in the hope to slow down Tesla. Even in 2 years they won't be able to build in quantity. The magic $39,900 is a farce that everybody is holding to. Nobody has a real idea how they will make a margin on that. Just hope that the declining cost curve will get there before real inflation takes over.

A lot of people think they have to have a $70,000 truck. They make payments over 84 months and still make compromises on their lifestyle to have that truck. I feel sorry for them. The marketing pull is strong. I think the $80,000 truck market will quickly saturate and reality will set in. What happens when Ford and GM can't sell the high end trucks, they have some capacity now so no excuse to deliver the $39,900 truck. Oh sh&t.

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Tacoma TRD Pro
Country flag
I liked the specs, especially the mid gate. GM hit the sweet spot with 400 miles of range.

The GM styling didn’t break any new ground. It surely doesn’t look like a futuristic 2024 model to my eyes. Very, very conservative GM styling. It’s basically a restyled Avalanche to my eyes.

I’m sticking with my Blade Runner themed SS wedge reservation. It will be worth the wait.

Tesla Cybertruck SilveradoEV 2024 deets finally revealed: 4FC4FA54-34DE-4949-BB2B-AA7A8AFE0735
Tesla Cybertruck SilveradoEV 2024 deets finally revealed: A78B461C-7614-4B3F-8906-25C35E00D290

uff_da

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I liked the specs, especially the mid gate. GM hit the sweet spot with 400 miles of range.

The GM styling didn’t break any new ground. It surely doesn’t look like a futuristic 2024 model to my eyes. Very, very conservative GM styling. It’s basically a restyled Avalanche to my eyes.

I’m sticking with my Blade Runner themed SS wedge reservation. It will be worth the wait.

4FC4FA54-34DE-4949-BB2B-AA7A8AFE0735.jpeg
A78B461C-7614-4B3F-8906-25C35E00D290.jpeg
I really didn't care for the CT design when it was revealed and went with the "I want it anyway" approach. Over time, I have really come to like the CT design. Its odd how once your brain become familiar with it, it becomes more likable (like how a song the first time through isn't as good as when you know it after a few listens).

I was struck by how much more I like the CT now compared to the Silverado. Can't wait to see what the final CT specs are.

Last edited:
First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Ford Expedition
Occupation
Police Officer
Country flag
With this release of the Silverado ev it’s in a strong second for me right behind the cybertruck. Ford didn’t do enough as far as design so they could stand apart more from how the regular f150’s look. I like what Chevy has done with this. The only thing keeping it in second place for me is the exoskeleton and SS on the cybertruck and Tesla batteries. I love all the new competition and it’s making it a lot of fun to see the new designs coming out. Like another member said, if they can put out a Silverado ev in the trail boss trim that would be the sweet spot for me.

CostcoSamples

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Odyssey
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Design, features, and specs are a home run. Can't help but notice they are copying Tesla at every step.

Two things they can't copy is price and production volume. These will be low volume high price just like the Hummer.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
The launch version is not rated for 20k pounds towing. Really confusing marketing on this with an odd mix of features some of which are not coming at launch.
Sponsored