Snow plowing

kdn

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Pre-ordered CT Tri Motor, F250, Toyota Tundra, Jeep Wrangler X, Toyota Camry
Occupation
Self employed Ice cream industry, Snow Plowing, Charter Fishing on the Great Lake Erie, Commercial Properties
Country flag
I plow snow and so do a lot of other contractors with 3/4 ton trucks (F250s). Will this unit be able to have a plow mounted to it and what is the “mileage”adjusted for plowing? I plan on adding a plow if possible even just to do a few driveways
Sponsored

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
Don't know whether there will be plow attachment points.

It is impossible to answer the question about mileage degradation. That will depend on the depth of the snow, it's density (powder vs wet) etc.

Sigjumper

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Yes
Country flag
A snowplow would be useful in many markets, but... plows are frame mounted IOT have a solid base to mount and absorb the inherent force of pushing that kind of weight. With the exoskeleton serving as the "frame" I'm not really sure how this would work. Interesting challenge...

Snuups

First Name
Yannick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S
Country flag
Can you mount a snow plow an a car without a frame construction? If not than no.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
I really don't know the answer to that but as they can evidently mount a trailer hitch I'm guessing they could mount plow attachment points. But will they?

OP
OP

kdn

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Pre-ordered CT Tri Motor, F250, Toyota Tundra, Jeep Wrangler X, Toyota Camry
Occupation
Self employed Ice cream industry, Snow Plowing, Charter Fishing on the Great Lake Erie, Commercial Properties
Country flag
It is suppose to be a "work truck". Many work trucks plow. Yes you can mount a plow on a car that has a frame. You can mount a plow on most any truck and on Liberty -wagonner-wranglers and a lot of SUV's. I don't want to have to keep my Tundra in order to maintain my plowing status. Currently we plow about 48 places. I just want to be able to do the driveways and a few small lots. I'll let everyone else plow the majority of our contracts.

David R Kirkpatrick

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 P100S, Cybertruck ordered
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
If CT come equiped with both front and back trailer hitches then attaching a non-motorized snow plow would be possible. As far a a heavy duty plow - it seems not possible without body on frame construction. Normal plows are bolted to frame and CT has no frame. Maybe welding to exoskeleton is possible, but would be ugly on ugly.

OP
OP

kdn

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Yes! I can see using a hitch plow and drag the snowplow. thank you great idea!

Sasmania

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
PY holding me over till TRI CT
Occupation
FlagstaffRentalCabin.com & TeslaRenter.com
Country flag
What about a back plow? Do any of you use those?

I've never plowed before but really looking forward to it with a CT to plow at my vacation rentals at a minimum and possibly pick up some other clients if it's as fun as it looks. I'm also thinking the word of mouth advertising with a CT would aid in getting new contracts...as people would probably be taking photos of that "crazy spaceship plowing my driveway" and posting them all over social media.

I know it would be an amazing vehicle for it with great traction & range with the TRI motor... the wild card just seems to be how will we attach these things without a traditional frame?

OP
OP

kdn

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
If this is all we can get then I would hope that the rear camera would see over the back plow blades. It is an option if the CT can't be fitted with a standard plow. I need only to use it for a DZ driveways or so and a couple small lots.

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
I'm pretty sure FSD wont work with a plow on the front. ?. There is a slot in the front bumper that runs the whole way across. The middle part just looks blocked but maybe its air intake? In any case there are front and back sub- frames on CT that hold the motors and attach them to the exoskeleton.
Tesla Cybertruck Snow plowing Screenshot_20200310-063609_Samsung Internet

GauraIce

First Name
Gaura
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Prius
Occupation
Accountant
Country flag
Maybe Elon with come up with an ingenious way to plow snow using the on-board air compressor...

PR_Noyes

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Trucks and Suburbans
Occupation
Web Programmer, Mechanic
Country flag
I can mount anything to a bicycle. I can prob mount anything to a CyberTruck. But this misses the point. The frame on my truck takes frequent "shock impacts" of maybe 5G to 10Gs when plowing snow. You see, when plowing, we are pushing a 1000lb steel blade "across the ground" and yeah, ya hit stuff when doing that. Routinely. Frozen chunks of ice, Rocks, Dirt. It's normal. The frame rails of existing trucks are the real "mount points" for snowplows. Extension adapter, sure, but it's those frame rails. The "shock" of impacts is absorbed (we hope!) by this design and yeah occassionally it hits too hard. Point is... we NEED the CyberTruck to take this sort of design seriously, not just LOOK LIKE it is a replacement.

We can't call the CyberTruck an ICE killer or a replacement until it can do what we do with our trucks currently. Otherwise it's like "Lightning McQueen" and just"stickers".
Sponsored