Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
Apparently, my CT order made me a candidate for the local Tesla sales guy to call me and ask if I was interested in taking an M3 test drive while I wait for the CT. He was suggesting an M3 lease might be interesting. LOL. Unfortunately for him, I'm working to save for the CT pretty exclusively. All my current vehicles are full paid-up so there would be no real incentive to take on a lease right now.
Sponsored

RonM

First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 F150 CrewCab, future Cybertruck
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I had the same thing happen several months ago (my guess most potential CT buyers who live near a showroom received such a call). Now if they had called and asked if I was interested in their new $25,000 stainless FSD 4 passenger 300+ mile EV, I would have gone ? :poop: !

Newton

First Name
Newton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
p̶r̶i̶u̶s̶ c̶,̶ y̶o̶t̶a̶ p̶i̶c̶k̶u̶p, ⼕丫⻏?尺セ尺ㄩ⼕长
Country flag
Lol, seems like typical sells calls.

OP
OP
FutureBoy

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
I had the same thing happen several months ago (my guess most potential CT buyers who live near a showroom received such a call). Now if they had called and asked if I was interested in their new $25,000 stainless FSD 4 passenger 300+ mile EV, I would have gone ? :poop: !
I probably would be too actually. But that vehicle probably won’t be out till after the CT.
?

Edisonsucks

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tri motor, 08 Cayman s
Country flag
Apparently, my CT order made me a candidate for the local Tesla sales guy to call me and ask if I was interested in taking an M3 test drive while I wait for the CT. He was suggesting an M3 lease might be interesting. LOL. Unfortunately for him, I'm working to save for the CT pretty exclusively. All my current vehicles are full paid-up so there would be no real incentive to take on a lease right now.
It would be cool if they offered something along with trading in an older model Tesla. Like a free year of supercharging or upgrades to the vehicle. I’d probably jump into a m3 if that were the case.

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Tacoma TRD Pro
Country flag
Tesla is known to offer below wholesale values on trades, even Tesla models. Just a heads up for those planning on trading in a vehicle.

T3slaDad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, RWD Cybertruck
Country flag
Tesla is known to offer below wholesale values on trades, even Tesla models. Just a heads up for those planning on trading in a vehicle.
I'm not sure how every Tesla store handles it (assuming the same?), but they will price match any written trade-in from reliable dealers where I live. Yeah they might be lower, but spend the extra 3 hours going to carmax and 2 other dealers to get quotes from them as well.

Some dealers will even outbid each other as you do this! Start with one dealer, go to another and when it comes back lower, show them your other dealer's quote and they could come back with an even bigger quote. Repeat until your offers stop rising, then take it to Tesla for the final trade or just sell the car to the top paying dealer quote.

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Tacoma TRD Pro
Country flag
All I am saying is just be prepared for a low-ball offer for your trade in. My brothers neighbor just went through this when trading his older Model S for a new Model 3. Tesla low-balled him with a $20k non negotiable offer. He refused and sold it privately in less than 24 hours for $40k.

Last edited:

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
Interesting. I was offered Kelly wholesale (and took it).

Have you actually traded in with Tesla or is this just another internet furphie?

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Tacoma TRD Pro
Country flag
Just sharing a recent Tesla Model 3 purchase transaction that occurred at a FL Tesla store in Jacksonville. Hell, I’m a Tesla fan boy with a CT on order and a Tesla shareholder. I even purchased a bottle of Tesla Tequila yesterday (sold out). I missed out on the red shorts, surfboard and flamethrower:(

Last edited:

AJSpencer

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
I got a trade-in quote for my 2012 Sprinter 2500 and it was probably the lower end blue-book value. I think in some cases trading in for blue-book value is OK but in the case of a vehicle like the Sprinter, which sells for much more privately than its blue-book value, definitely worth it selling privately (or in my case maybe hold onto it and eventually convert it to EV some year in the future).

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
There's no question that you can get better than wholesale in a private transaction. I think most people settle for wholesale through a dealer rather than deal with having to find a buyer (many people today are wary of letting strangers see where they live), work out payment terms, transfer of title etc. With the Teslas you have the additional complication of transferring the car's online account to the new owner. It's much less effort to allow Tesla to handle all this for you and, commensurately, the reward is less.

TIMTWHITE

First Name
TIM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
EXPEDITION, TUNDRA, XC90
Occupation
RETIRED
Country flag
I ordered a M3 months ago. I submitted my 2019 Volvo XC90 with about 15k miles for a trad-in and
got a non-negotiable offer that was about $10k under Car Max. I got two Vin #S for my M3 which I had hoped to drive and trade on my Cybertruck. I met with local sales rep (Houston Galeria) and asked if they would/could match Car Max. I was told that Tesla "used" to match legit offers for trade, but not any more. Their trade offer was take it or leave it. Well since Tesla's Autopilot is not
as good as Volvo's, I definitely have to have FSD. Faced with an additional 6.25% local sales tax and
the possibility that the value of FSD would be lost in the trade of the M3, I was looking at loosing
$11,000 to $15,000 in a year of ownership of the M3. So I was sad to cancel the order for the M3 which was on it's way to be delivered and loose the $100 deposit because Tesla has no desire/need to help owner buy their vehicle.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
Gotta ask. If you wanted the M3 why didn't you go with Car Max?
Sponsored