ED_SFO

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3
Country flag
I don’t know why you quoted “shocked”. Rivian is getting 2.1 to 2.4 in real world driving. Simulated airflow tests show the CT is likely to be close to a .39 and the R1T is close to a .32. The Rivian R1T was more designed for aerodynamics than the CT. Also both vehicles weigh a similar amount. About 7000 lbs so rolling resistance will be similar. Everyone likes to think the CT is going to beat all the others in efficiency and that would be great, but that wasn’t really the design intent of this truck so don’t be “shocked” if it isnt
I think Teslas move to the 800v architecture system and 48v for auxiliary needs, will allow CT to be the most efficient EV truck out there as it relates to their how to make an ev knowledge. The Tesla engineer I spoke with says the CT is very very efficient for these reasons. I wouldnt be surprised if it can get 2.6 - 2.75 miles per kwh. But hopefully we will know soon enough.
Sponsored

Raebrek

First Name
Kerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Toyota Highlander, 2016 Subaru Outback
Country flag
one of you will tell me long long before my order arrives. ;)

Bill837

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Z4, 2015 Cherokee Trailhawk, 2008 R1200RT
Occupation
Aviation Weapons/Systems
Country flag
I wonder why they didn’t put it on the backside of the ridge with a smooth face in the same plane as the windshield to reduce drag
Aero can be tricky. Might be this was the best solution in that regard.

swengl

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Model Y
Country flag
Good Solar is about 15W per sf. If the cover area is about 7x5 (35sf) it will hit max about .5kW. The CT will get real world range just over 2 miles/kWh. Most areas are lucky to get 6 hours of average sun hours. That’s 3 kWh total production. So 6 or 7 miles in optimal conditions is probably close. I really doubt it will be integral to the tonneau cover like it was originally. It seems to prone to failure. But what do I know. And if it is in the cover you will probably have to cut the capacity down too .3 or .4 kW
There is the possibility that the solar cover extends from the frunk to the back of the tonneau, you would then have more surface area than just the tonneau and would over double the surface coverage (granted, not all of the surface would be exposed to the sun all of the time). I agree about integrating it into the tonneau itself, while it would be a more elegant solution but it presents more opportunity for failure (and a higher repair/replacement cost). Another advantage of full coverage: the cover would deflect/absorb the heat/UV and the interior would remain cooler on a hot day. I'd be OK rolling a solar cover over the CT in the driveway. The other good news, there will probably be 3rd party after market options available (different configurations, materials, etc) and over time the covers' efficiencies would improve with the technology.

GhostAndSkater

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Country flag
I don’t know why you quoted “shocked”. Rivian is getting 2.1 to 2.4 in real world driving. Simulated airflow tests show the CT is likely to be close to a .39 and the R1T is close to a .32. The Rivian R1T was more designed for aerodynamics than the CT. Also both vehicles weigh a similar amount. About 7000 lbs so rolling resistance will be similar. Everyone likes to think the CT is going to beat all the others in efficiency and that would be great, but that wasn’t really the design intent of this truck so don’t be “shocked” if it isnt
Simulations done on a non Tesla engineering 3D model are useless, small features can have a tremendous effect on drag coefficient, no one that did those CFD analysis have an accurate 3D model

CYBRSMTH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Fit
Country flag
Cybertruck Solar

Tesla's Cybertruck is poised to offer an innovative solar cover accessory, a testament to the company's commitment to sustainable and self-sufficient energy solutions. This solar cover is designed to harness solar energy, effectively converting sunlight into additional electric power for the vehicle. Not only does it promise to extend the driving range by capturing renewable energy, but it also adds a layer of practicality and efficiency for owners who may be away from charging stations.

Cybertruck Optional Lightbar

The top lightbar on Tesla's Cybertruck is set to be an optional accessory, offering additional customization for owners. This feature is designed to cater to those who desire enhanced visibility and a distinct aesthetic appeal. The lightbar, positioned along the top edge of the windshield, will provide powerful illumination, making it particularly useful for off-road adventures or driving in low-light conditions. Its sleek design seamlessly integrates with the Cybertruck's futuristic and angular appearance, adding both functionality and a striking visual element. As an optional add-on, it allows owners to tailor their vehicle to their specific needs and preferences, further demonstrating Tesla's commitment to offering personalized and innovative vehicle options.

lightbar.jpg

Cyber Shop

Tesla is set to enhance the user experience for Cybertruck owners by theming its app specifically for this model, integrating elements that resonate with the Cybertruck's unique design and features. This includes a specialized section in the Tesla Shop within the app, dedicated to exclusive 'Cyber' products, further customizing the experience and offering tailored accessories and merchandise for Cybertruck enthusiasts.

Source: https://teslaappupdates.com/articles/article.html?version=4.27.3
Cool. Is this the official Tesla CT accessories shop?

87Gbody

First Name
Albero
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cyber truck
Country flag
Looks pretty cool. But what I haven’t seen is anyone mentioned how is the wiring going to be done. Is not like you can make a hole on the glass to pass cables. If the wire is ran through the side glass, it will look like 💩 and not to mention wind noise and possible water leaks

Rutrow

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Model 3, CyberTruck Tri-motor reservation
Occupation
Firefighter
Country flag
I think it's best outside as these tend to get pretty warm and I imagine it's better optics than pushing light through the windshield at such an sloped angle. Hopefully it doesn't have wind noise! Some light bars people run HOWL LOUDLY on the highway.
You won't be able to hear it over the tire noise. I mean, why would you get offroad lighting* if you don't have offroad tires?

*lighting higher than 54"** above the ground cannot be used on public roads

**in most states

Last edited:

TyPope

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 F150, '23 MY, '24 CT, '23 Maveric hybrid soon
Occupation
Operations Planner
Country flag
There is the possibility that the solar cover extends from the frunk to the back of the tonneau, you would then have more surface area than just the tonneau and would over double the surface coverage (granted, not all of the surface would be exposed to the sun all of the time). I agree about integrating it into the tonneau itself, while it would be a more elegant solution but it presents more opportunity for failure (and a higher repair/replacement cost). Another advantage of full coverage: the cover would deflect/absorb the heat/UV and the interior would remain cooler on a hot day. I'd be OK rolling a solar cover over the CT in the driveway. The other good news, there will probably be 3rd party after market options available (different configurations, materials, etc) and over time the covers' efficiencies would improve with the technology.
There are a ton of tri-fold tonneau covers out there. What if the CT had it's regular vault cover and then, above that, using the connection points, there were a solar "tonneau cover" type of thing that would normally just sit barely above the tonneau. To access the bed, you'd simply hit the open button to open the CT tonneau cover and then you would fold open the solar cover just like I open my only tonneau cover on my Maverick.

This way, the solar cover could be folded up out of the way when hauling loads that needed the space but would also be able to be folded down over the real cover.

Come to think of it. The solar cover COULD use the attach points all the way up the back slope covering the roof there and THEN would be like a normal tri-fold cover. That way, you'd have solar covering the bed and roof of the CT AND it would all be removable if needed.

Yup. If Tesla doesn't design this, someone sure will.

CHC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Model X
Country flag
Although I really wanted a light bar, the auxiliary look of this aftermarket option ruins the profile of the truck and just doesn't look right

rizvend

First Name
CyBrNrD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
cybrtrk, aptera reserved
Occupation
Nurse Informaticist
Country flag
Cybertruck Solar

Tesla's Cybertruck is poised to offer an innovative solar cover accessory, a testament to the company's commitment to sustainable and self-sufficient energy solutions. This solar cover is designed to harness solar energy, effectively converting sunlight into additional electric power for the vehicle. Not only does it promise to extend the driving range by capturing renewable energy, but it also adds a layer of practicality and efficiency for owners who may be away from charging stations.

Cybertruck Optional Lightbar

The top lightbar on Tesla's Cybertruck is set to be an optional accessory, offering additional customization for owners. This feature is designed to cater to those who desire enhanced visibility and a distinct aesthetic appeal. The lightbar, positioned along the top edge of the windshield, will provide powerful illumination, making it particularly useful for off-road adventures or driving in low-light conditions. Its sleek design seamlessly integrates with the Cybertruck's futuristic and angular appearance, adding both functionality and a striking visual element. As an optional add-on, it allows owners to tailor their vehicle to their specific needs and preferences, further demonstrating Tesla's commitment to offering personalized and innovative vehicle options.

lightbar.jpg

Cyber Shop

Tesla is set to enhance the user experience for Cybertruck owners by theming its app specifically for this model, integrating elements that resonate with the Cybertruck's unique design and features. This includes a specialized section in the Tesla Shop within the app, dedicated to exclusive 'Cyber' products, further customizing the experience and offering tailored accessories and merchandise for Cybertruck enthusiasts.

Source: https://teslaappupdates.com/articles/article.html?version=4.27.3
A solid pattern light bar from the interior would look awesome too. It is what it is.

PilotPete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche, BMW, M3LR on order
Occupation
Chief Pilot
Country flag
Well, the “shocked” comment was in regards to this being an electric vehicle. Poor humor, maybe. But your 0.39cd is wayyyyy off. Elon himself said they are targeting 0.30cd and it was possible with some work. Based on that, I’ll also say that it is an incorrect assumption to say the R1T was “more designed for aerodynamics than the CT”. How many times have people on this board talked about the teardrop and the aero that displays? So ask yourself, which truck looks most like a teardrop, the CT or the R1T? I don’t think you can find any way to morph an R1T into a teardrop. I also think you are off when you make statements about the design intent of the CT. What you assume is wholly inconsistent with everything Tesla has done and claims to be attempting. Efficiency is part of their design language ( unlike GM and the Hummer) and I think tomorrow will be a pleasant surprise (if not a “shock”) to quite a few people.
Sponsored