Solving the Big Truck, Small Garage Problem

Qball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
Wow! Imaging getting in and out of the CT at that angle and height!
Sponsored

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
----------------------------------

Park and
 glide: Ingenious motorist locks his tiny car in a makeshift garage after inventing a sliding ramp which fits under the stairs of his house.
By Jake Polden For Mailonline
Published: 2 August 2016
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...inventing-sliding-ramp-fits-stairs-house.html

Tesla Cybertruck Solving the Big Truck, Small Garage Problem 36CE30A400000578-3719735-image-a-57_1470144194797

SMART PARKING SOLUTION
VINU'S INOVATIVE CAR PARKING INVENTED 6 YEARS BACK STILL WORKING
Vinod Kumar
Aug 30, 2013

------

Tesla Cybertruck Solving the Big Truck, Small Garage Problem Car%20ramps%20%2B%20Extensions

HEAVY DUTY CAR RAMPS LIFTING GARAGE 2 TON TONNE 2.5 TON TONNE EXTRA WIDE
Ramp Height (Approx.): 21cm - Length (Approx.): 80cm
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/391939459375

---------

If the ceiling height in your garage is high enough you could use tall ramps to shorten garage floor length used.

Tesla Cybertruck
Length 231.7 in (5,885 mm)
Width 79.8 in (2,027 mm)
Height 75 in (1,905 mm)

Right Triangle Calculator
https://www.calculator.net/right-triangle-calculator.html?av=800&alphav=&alphaunit=d&bv=&betav=&betaunit=d&cv=5,885&hv=&areav=&perimeterv=&x=50&y=30

a = 800mm (80cm) ramp height
c = 5,885 mm Cybertruck length
b = floor length used

Result
Given a=800 and c=5885,
b = 5,830.37091 ∠α = 7.813° = 7°48'46" = 0.13636 rad ∠ÎČ = 82.187° = 82°11'14" = 1.43444 rad h = 792.57379

Saved 55mm (5.5cm) of floor length.
If you have the ceiling space available you might be able to use taller ramp and save even more floor length.

Lowering the Cybertruck & airing down the tires would reduce the increased height you needed.

How to Fit Your Big Truck or SUV in the Garage and Create More Room for Storage
Written by Mike Foti on March 26, 2020.
https://innovatehomeorg.com/blog/20...-truck-in-the-garage-create-room-for-storage/

I was amazed when my grinning, petite 5’3” wife Rose hopped waaaaaay down from the Chevy Tahoe she was ‘tooling around’ in while her smaller SUV was in for service. She said she LOVED this big rig. So, I asked why.

Rose went on and on about how sturdy it was. She loved how she could see EVERYTHING sitting up so high. She went on about how safe she felt and even loved the vibrating seats when the rig crossed lanes and she forgot to hit the turn signal (that sounded kinky to me, but that’s a subject for another day).

The interesting thing is Rose is not alone in her love for big trucks and SUV’s. Here’s reasons these ‘big rigs’ are vaulting in popularity:
* Gas prices are low. I only paid $1.98 per gallon last week filling up close to my office in Columbus Ohio. And the fuel efficiency of these ‘big rigs’ isn’t as bad as ‘in the old days.’ * Concerns about flying – With the scary Coronavirus pandemic putting the world on edge, the desire to fly (with – on average – 91 people packed in like sardines on a plane) is not high.
* Being able to ‘see’ around you and haul kids and materials is so convenient – If you drive a small car today you feel like you’re living in an episode of Honey I Shrunk the Kids. You can’t see over anything on the road, nor fit much of anything inside. SUV’s and trucks have taken over the vehicle landscape (at least in the United States). Big trucks and SUV’s make you feel on top of the world and you’re equipped to haul lumber or the I-Phone-toting girl’s field hockey team.

Part II – How to ‘grow’ the length and width of your garage if your SUV or truck is too big

How to deal with the depth of your garage and fit your big truck or SUV in

Let’s face facts, the typical 20’ deep garage of yesteryear doesn’t ‘play well’ with the mega-full-sized SUV or truck of today. This forces you to ‘try’ and find those few precious extra inches somewhere to get your truck to fit. However, where those inches will come from is the $10 million dollar question. Here’s 3 simple fixes which may work:

Idea #1 – If your back wall isn’t load bearing, consider ‘bumping’ into (OK, not literally) the inside of the house. Maybe there’s a closet or mudroom which could become smaller and you could ‘borrow’ some of your inside space to get the garage length you need on the outside.

Idea #2 – Add a slightly angled ramp to ‘reduce’ the overall length your truck needs to angle in.

Idea #3 – Park sideways and FORCE your spouse to park outside. This is the most dangerous strategy of all. Sure, your spouse (or significant ‘utter’) may kill you, but at least you’ll enjoy a roomy parking spot for ONE day!

If these simple ideas won’t work, or you’re already dead from plowing ahead with idea #3 above (and if your zoning allows) consider building an extension onto the front of your garage with a short roof. While it’s won’t be a cheap fix, you’ll enjoy not freezing your butt off in cold, snowy Central Ohio (or anywhere you live) Winters.

https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/threads/how-can-i-extend-the-length-of-my-garage.36258/

Tesla Cybertruck Solving the Big Truck, Small Garage Problem garage-door-cut-to-fit-truck-funny

Charles Neilsen , Vietnam Veteran
Why do they make pickup trucks so big today that they won't fit into your garage? Should we start making garages bigger? This is the garage of an old apartment house in Sonora, California. The stalls are 8 feet wide. They were perfect, for a Model T.

Tesla Cybertruck Solving the Big Truck, Small Garage Problem main-qimg-066d28ebc0e4180b1bce7191952e352c-pjlq

https://www.quora.com/Why-do-they-m...aking-garages-bigger/answer/Charles-Neilsen-2

Last edited:

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
I want ..Must Have, my Cybertruck do the UFO sound and lights from Close Encounters of the Third Kind

Cybertruck Hawaii

Banned
Banned
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sienna
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
The Cybertruck is based on the most popular pickup in America, the Ford F-150. Most carports in America can fit a 150 quite comfortably.

slomobile

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Roboticist
Country flag
As a side benefit, every time you roll out of your garage you get a little bit of regen topping off your battery.
That is more than offset by the extra current required to climb the ramp in the first place. If you are thinking that it will just give you a bit of extra range after charging overnight, no dice there either, a fully charged battery has no spare capacity to store the regen energy. It just heats the motor.
But nice "inside the box thinking" on how to cram it in there.

Cybertruck is not susceptible to paint fade. Cameras and lack of door handles deter theft. Solar panel option makes parking outside a pro. What are the remaining cons for just parking in the driveway?
Rubber, plastic, and fabric degradation remain. If you can deal with that, convert the garage into a waiting room for your robotaxi clients.

OP
OP
Ogre

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
What are the remaining cons for just parking in the driveway?
I live in Oregon.

Anything you leave outside in the rain starts to grow moss and leaks eventually.

Not that it matters to me, we have no driveway. Might have a carport by the time the Cybertruck gets here. Maybe.

OP
OP
Ogre

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I can't even have a carport.

-Crissa
And you are (I think) in one of the few rainy parts of NorCal :ROFLMAO:

I think your only option is to hire a company to lift your house up on stilts and park your cars underneath It. (Yes, it happens, I’ve seen it done)

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
That is more than offset by the extra current required to climb the ramp in the first place.
Yes, driving up the ramp uses extra electricity but charging happens after Cybertruck is on ramp.

Also in bad weather having Cybertruck in garage saves electricity & time.
For those living in colder climates, if Cybertruck was outside have to clean off snow after each snowfall and if just cold outside, warm Cybertruck cabin.

Some houses have garages but no driveway & no close parking atall (front or back).

If you are thinking that it will just give you a bit of extra range after charging overnight, no dice there either, a fully charged battery has no spare capacity to store the regen energy.
Unless you have LFP battery you normally only charge to 80-90% each night unless need full charge next day. Even if have LFP battery you can leave a few % uncharged so regen will work. Charge limit can be auto set to a level less than full so no mater which battery type regen will work.

Cybertruck is not susceptible to paint fade.
Yes, the stainless steel exoskeleton is fade proof but the truck is much more than just stainless steel exoskeleton.

The are exterior parts not stainless steel that can be affected by UV.:
tires
rubber in BAW (big ass wiper)
side cameras
wheel flare arches
window & bumper trim

And then there is the interior

Besides UV there are possible high or low temp. The garage interior might be much milder (Some people even have air conditioned!).

Cameras and lack of door handles deter theft.
Deter is not same as eliminate. Maybe cameras and lack of door handles deter theft risk by 50% ( no data so who knows) but there is still significant risk.

Theft of Cybertruck is not only concern. Someone could damage the truck.
Smash side camera
Try to break into cabin, be unsuccessful but owner now has cracked window.
Crack windshield ( maybe be difficult but I am sure still possible)
Slashing of tires
rims vanadalized with paint/epoxy or metal file
Break BAW
But epoxy or adhevies in seams/joints or body.
Graffiti paint ( hopefully can be removed but still cause time, work & cost to owner)
mouses/rats, racoon, eating wiring

Yes, Cybertruck will be the most heavy-duty of trucks but not *proof or indestructible and $40K or $50K or $60K is a huge huge amount for me.

If I have option of parking in a garage I will. If no garage then it is outside.

slomobile

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Roboticist
Country flag
I wonder how the cost of steel ramp compares to a one foot addition to the face of your garage and relocating the rollup door into it?
Walls aint permanent, but in this case there doesn't even need to be any demolition. The gap is a perfect place to build in cabinets, maybe an overhead hoist for unloading.
Sponsored