Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Isuzu D-Max Extra Cab 2014
Occupation
Boilermaker / Welder
Country flag
Since Australia has no more local car manufacturing companies anymore and since its way past the point where it is
cheaper to buy cars internationally and sell them for more profit. I wonder if Elon and the Tesla team have worked out
that they could build out a new gigafactory in Australia to which it would pump out say Model Y and Cybertruck?

Or more realistically just a gigafactory that would be vertically integrated with the lithium mines here and just pump out solar
and batteries for the whole of Australia and maybe pump a couple Model Y's? They probably have it on their radar but it probably makes
more sense to build up the the higher demand markets like China and Germany first and maybe Australia last.

I just wish Australia had its own Elon Musk and wanted to make Australia great for its people. Just my 2 won worth

Tesla Cybertruck South Australian Gigafactory Tesla SA
Sponsored

rjo71342

First Name
ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
current:outlander phev, next:cybertruck
Occupation
custtomer service
Country flag
First things first I would agree with you on this the other thing is I would highly expect Western Australia to be the main front runner for Australia because of the fact they have the mines and the manufacturing of both the lithium and the other minerals needed for the batteries beyond that give us the semi the CyberBrute as well as model y plus solar because we are also quite patriotic that if we were building our own cars people would by them in droves

madquadbiker

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Navara NP300, Honda e, Honda TRX700XX
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
At least we could ensure the steering wheel is on the ‘right’ side.
If for any reason the U.K. will not allow the CT to be officially imported you will be our only hope of getting our hands on one with the steering wheel on the correct side, well maybe Japan, I believe we are getting close to a free trade deal with our Australian cousins which should make it a lot easier.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
An Australian factory could ship to much of the Asian sphere at a good trading advantage.

The Chinese one will be for domestic only for the longest time, they're just going to suck up its output. And it's not at a great advantage for trading, politically, either.

-Crissa

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
I think a major reason Tesla is building Giga factories in Germany and in China is because those country's have their own company's that make it difficult to compete against with import taxes. That is not the situation in Australia. All the vehicles are on equal footing. You do make a good argument based on vertical integration with the mines there, especially for batteries. Besides if they are made in Australia that would give Tesla a foot up on everybody else.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I think a major reason Tesla is building Giga factories in Germany and in China is because those country's have their own company's that make it difficult to compete...
Exactly.

But...
Besides if they are made in Australia that would give Tesla a foot up on everybody else.
...This could give them a good export position to the Pacific Rim and South Asia. California is okay to export to a high-cost country like Japan but the other countries like Australia, New Zealand, even Korea and India have higher barriers to California's exports than Australia.

-Crissa
Sponsored