Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
That better be an 8kT model...
This is apparently press number 4.

Tesla currently has 3 installed and they are used in pairs (one for the front assembly and one for the rear). Each pair is capable of producing 250,000 cars or trucks per year.

So either this is the second half of Tesla’s Cybertruck setup (a 6k for the front and an 8k for the rear), or they are planning on having capacity for 500,000+ Model Ys by year end.

Seems like the timing is right for the 8k Ton press…. Also feels like it’s too early to be thinking about producing more than 250k Model Ys

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Tacoma TRD Pro
Country flag
Too early for the CT Giga Press.

Rumor is that Tesla will secretly truck in the CT production machinery and Giga Press during the night to avoid drone footage?

OP
OP
Ogre

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Too early for the CT Giga Press.

Rumor is that Tesla will secretly truck in the CT production machinery and Giga Press during the night to avoid drone footage?
“Too Early”

How do you figure? It’s not as if they are ahead of schedule here.

Another possibility I hadn’t thought of is a pair of Gigapresses for the Model 3. They had talked about producing the Model 3 out of Texas at one point but it wasn’t clear how it would work.

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Tacoma TRD Pro
Country flag
Still in the Alpha development stage. Have a long way to go.

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
This is apparently press number 4.

Tesla currently has 3 installed and they are used in pairs (one for the front assembly and one for the rear). Each pair is capable of producing 250,000 cars or trucks per year.

So either this is the second half of Tesla’s Cybertruck setup (a 6k for the front and an 8k for the rear), or they are planning on having capacity for 500,000+ Model Y by year end.

Seems like the timing is right for the 8k Ton press…. Also feels like it’s too early to be thinking about producing more than 250k Model Ys
I think installing the fourth Press this early is an indication Austin will blow the 200,000 estimates out of the water.

I think a pair is capable of more than 250,000.
Closer to 300-350,000.

3 Presses could easily handle the estimated 200,000 cars produced this year. (includes about 50% downtime)

By installing a fourth this early could be a case of 'why not?' , but maybe it indicates the ramp is quicker than what we are thinking.

Perhaps closer to 400,000+ than 200,000.

OP
OP
Ogre

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I think installing the fourth Press this early is an indication Austin will blow the 200,000 estimates out of the water.

I think a pair is capable of more than 250,000.
Closer to 300-350,000.

3 Presses could easily handle the estimated 200,000 cars produced this year. (includes about 50% downtime)

By installing a fourth this early could be a case of 'why not?' , but maybe it indicates the ramp is quicker than what we are thinking.

Perhaps closer to 400,000+ than 200,000.
My 250k estimate is definitely conservative and based on only 75% utilization or so. Historically speaking they don’t seem to hit full production rates until well into the 2nd or 3rd year of production. Look at how China’s production is still increasing 2 years after install.

So 250k is in the ballpark of what Musk calls Volume Production.

In any case, having 4 for Model Y production seems odd when it’s unlikely Tesla will hit anywhere near 250k production on the Model Y this year. Just seems to me this being for Cybertruck production is just as or more likely than the Model Y.

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Yep, I just can't accept the idea of years long lead times. Tesla must address this…

There will be new orders added along the way, extending mooted 3-5 year wait times. It's just not going to happen.

OP
OP
Ogre

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Yep, I just can't accept the idea of years long lead times. Tesla must address this…

There will be new orders added along the way, extending mooted 3-5 year wait times. It's just not going to happen.
My feeling here is Tesla is going to crank up production on the Cybertruck.

Lots of people think “Demand is huge, Tesla is going to bump the price”. I think they have it upside-down. Demand is huge… Tesla is going to try their damnedest to feed that beast.