Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I own a 2006 Toyota Tacoma and 2018 Tesla Model 3,
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Any word on if the Cybertruck will have a spare tire included with delivery? After owning a 2018 Model 3 since new, there is a little "anxiety" about NOT having a spare tire.
Or, I wonder if there will be an option for mounting a spare tire on the Cybertruck?
Sponsored

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
I know how you feel. I have had my Midrl Y since March and got a nail in a tire on the 4th. Slow leak and I was using a portable pump to keep it filled for a couple of days before scheduling a service with Tesla. I would not want that happening with the truck. Nor am I particularly enamored with the idea of using the bed (or the lockable storage) for a spare tire, but as @Crissa mentioned that is likely what we will have to do.

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
I know how you feel. I have had my Midrl Y since March and got a nail in a tire on the 4th. Slow leak and I was using a portable pump to keep it filled for a couple of days before scheduling a service with Tesla. I would not want that happening with the truck. Nor am I particularly enamored with the idea of using the bed (or the lockable storage) for a spare tire, but as @Crissa mentioned that is likely what we will have to do.
Why not take it to a tire store. Big Brand tire store near me fixes all flats for free, (whether they sold you that tire or not).

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Why not take it to a tire store. Big Brand tire store near me fixes all flats for free, (whether they sold you that tire or not).
Tesla tires have a foam inner that I would not trust a regular tire-fixing place to repair. And it is under warranty so Tesla picked up the tab. It certainly goes without saying that tire repair is a weak link in the Tesla vehicle. Like you I am used to driving up to a garage and having a flat repaired in 10-20 minutes. No more, at least with stock Tesla tires. Maybe the CT tires will be different?

Quicksilver

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan van
Occupation
Retired military
Country flag
I like that design sold by JEGS but that price is obscene.
Since the CT will come with a Reese hitch that is prob the most practical design but any decent welder could make you that for half that money.
Using a locking pin on the receiver and a lock through one of the lug studs would prob stop all but the most determined thief.

OP
OP
Old Pro

Old Pro

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I amm concerned that a tire shop that deals in everyday domestic vehicle will not know how to properly protect my battery pack when jacking up the Tesla

OP
OP
Old Pro

Old Pro

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Tesla tires have a foam inner that I would not trust a regular tire-fixing place to repair. And it is under warranty so Tesla picked up the tab. It certainly goes without saying that tire repair is a weak link in the Tesla vehicle. Like you I am used to driving up to a garage and having a flat repaired in 10-20 minutes. No more, at least with stock Tesla tires. Maybe the CT tires will be different?
Hoping so. I may invest in a spare when I get my Cybertruck

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
I amm concerned that a tire shop that deals in everyday domestic vehicle will not know how to properly protect my battery pack when jacking up the Tesla
The guy that came to give me a loaner wheel (while they repair my tire which, by the way, I cannot get back until the 21st), just shoved a floor Jack under the car like you would Jack up any old car. I assume that Tesla will take responsibility for any damage to the battery pack since this was their idea.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
These tires aren't unique to Tesla. And warranty repairs have to be covered and they can't require you to use their techs just because it's a warranty (tho they can for other reasons).

A Tesla has jack points just like any other car, they're required by DOT rules.

-Crissa

CompMaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tri CT
Country flag
If just a nail or small puncture, I repair myself. If still under warranty, again I'll repair myself until shop has time for me. With the estimated speed of M Y and CT production, wait times for anything at shops or mobile services may only increase. If I can jack up a car I can also repair a flat.

Pro Tip (this one is free):
Get cheap kit for less then 2 bucks that fixes about 10 flats. Break the cheap plastic from both tools and chunk them into a drill each. Now the flat can be fixed quick and effortlessly. Keep in mind that all patches are recommended to be temporary, as they Will throw off the tire balance.

Some shops may fix a flat for free but never balance it. So you can come back with a "vibration" issue and then pay money... business...
Balance and mount from 5 to 10 bucks. Diagnostic fee... well too high for my bank...