Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
also hard to say with any certainty but the drone photos don’t appear to have quite the same degree of tie-down gear as drivers look for in a “suicide coil”?
Tesla Cybertruck Stainless steel rolls spotted during delivery to Giga Texas today (9/20/22) ? DD397F61-C108-452A-9FE8-F49490DE22CE

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1976 electric conversion bus
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
Has anybody seen an update on the mill that was making these for SpaceX and the CT. If I recall it was 100 miles south of Austin or so, kind of splitting the distance logistically.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
The beginning of this thread was a question as to whether these rolls are stainless steel. I have not seen that question answered. I also haven't seen my follow on question answered, namely is the height of these rolls sufficient to fold the CT exoskeleton? I suspect not. Before everyone goes off on the manufacturing process maybe we should try to answer those questions.
I thought we all agreed that it probably isn’t. Certainly nothing about it is conclusive

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Threads just crossed !

Watch the Jay Leno video and in the background are multiple rolls of stainless steel!

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Has anybody seen an update on the mill that was making these for SpaceX and the CT. If I recall it was 100 miles south of Austin or so, kind of splitting the distance logistically.
Yeah, they're not making stainless to the quality that SpaceX is using, so they're not the supplier.

-Crissa

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Yea, and the next day,, Joe provided a good lit view on the inside of the south stamping area , which had a lot of earthworks still going, and to me looks like the large foundation and whatever goes on top is months away.

That video doesn't cover all of the space, but just on that, doesn't look ready for SS rolls.

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
if you thought the intent of your post would be clear absent annotation, you were mistaken:LOL:

I’ve seen there are some straps. I’ve seen there’s also a guy up there, so possibly straps have been removed already - at least for the one he’s standing near.

but I’ve also seen, e.g.,

Tesla Cybertruck Stainless steel rolls spotted during delivery to Giga Texas today (9/20/22) ? 67B57019-2375-4B21-B44F-DBF4585103CA

Tesla Cybertruck Stainless steel rolls spotted during delivery to Giga Texas today (9/20/22) ? 046A309F-FAC8-415B-B269-B11EE35197F3

Which collectively prompted the reserved observation that

also hard to say with any certainty but the drone photos don’t appear to have quite the same degree of tie-down gear as drivers look for in a “suicide coil”?

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
They didn't use chains like that for the SpaceX rolls. Not alot of big mountains between Alabama and Austin or Boca Chica.

-Crissa
Mountains? I think the issue instead is breaking whatsoever.

But, if it’s the steel and you say prior trucks weren’t strapped that way, then perhaps it’s steel that’s just not that very heavy!

Standard trailer having a ~48k lb limit by law, puts those two coils at a ceiling weight of ~24k per, and:

Tesla Cybertruck Stainless steel rolls spotted during delivery to Giga Texas today (9/20/22) ? ED966518-F340-4CFF-B8E9-131F698FE68F

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
Mountains? I think the issue instead is breaking whatsoever.

But, if it’s the steel and you say prior trucks weren’t strapped that way, then perhaps it’s steel that’s just not that very heavy!

Standard trailer having a ~48k lb limit by law, puts those two coils at a ceiling weight of ~24k per, and:

ED966518-F340-4CFF-B8E9-131F698FE68F.jpeg
Don't use to much common sense. You get shunned here for that lol. ;)

Do I really have to measure the picture to work out the specific density of the roll to prove to everyone it’s not stainless steel rolls? Just take my word for it.. its easier. 🤣

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
Do I really have to measure the picture to work out the specific density of the roll to prove to everyone it’s not stainless steel rolls?
googling to find picture of the Space-X rolls on truck mentioned by @Crissa (I didn’t find any), I instead came across the Space-X version of this forum …

and I thought you lot were a bunch of nerds!

Bentlb3

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4 wheels
Occupation
Work
Country flag
I’ve seen elsewhere (not bothering to look it up at moment) from companies that do steel casting modeling that the precise issue is that the steel is too strong (not “hard”) to bend without causing the steel itself to fail/weaken - something like, that the cold-roll strengthening process causes the material’s strength to approach its tensile limits, and so, as it becomes harder to bend, it simultaneously also becomes less likely to bend rather than deform/break.

folks saying “it can’t be bent” I think are fairly interpreted as saying “it can’t be bent and still function appropriately”
Would also like to add that Tesla has created their own blend of SS that most likely incorporates properties that overcome the tradition forming challenges of “legacy”, standard SS that is being referenced. I believe (just my opinion) that they created their proprietary blend of SS to be the forming solution that will overcome the common failures within the forming process.

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
Would also like to add that Tesla has created their own blend of SS that most likely incorporates properties that overcome the tradition forming challenges of “legacy”, standard SS that is being referenced. I believe (just my opinion) that they created their proprietary blend of SS to be the forming solution that will overcome the common failures within the forming process.
again not looking it up at present, but the information I referenced above was from a source that basically described how what your are hypothesizing is not possible at some basic level of materials science - the person described it well enough that I could follow while reading, but not that I can here recount the specifics

but my (rough) take-away being as follows: the SS being a “30x” brand of SS (eg, akin to a 304 but with some secret sauce making for the substituting “X”) requires the SS to have certain qualities that mean that “strengthening” it to the levels indicated by EM (eg inferred their specific bullet-proof was claims, etc.) essentially requires that it become at some proportion less mailable (absent failures/weak-points).

and in any event, isn’t it EM himself that psuggested this was exactly the case: he said they truck had to be so angular precisely because they couldn’t bend the SS

then again, who knows what to believe since EM said it would break presses which this same article described as being wildly incorrect/impossible *shrug*

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
googling to find picture of the Space-X rolls on truck mentioned by @Crissa (I didn’t find any), I instead came across the Space-X version of this forum …

and I thought you lot were a bunch of nerds!
Whats the forums name? I don't like being insulted like that. Will need to sort that out. 🤣
Sponsored