Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
I cant repeat the jargon, but Sandy said (as we know) Tesla processed the SS to make it super hard.

Perhaps since 2019 they made the SS even stronger and 1.8mm(if) was enough and perhaps not as compromised. ?

Last edited:

Variable556

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Explorer, Escape
Country flag
In the same video they were clear about the stainless steel taking on the rigidity requirements of the truck, and that the inner structure was made of aluminum and would have had to have been made of high strength steel if it was carrying the load and providing stiffness. I do not know how long it has been since 3mm was mentioned as the skin thickness but it has been a long time. In the end, we saw it crash tested and how it maintained minimal damage where (they say) a regular car would have been totaled. I have harped on the 3mm skin as much as anyone, but in the end it is really about toughness against incidental damage (for me), and regardless of the thickness if it does the job than I am happy. It 'would' be nice to find out how thick the various panels are (4 along the side, the hood, and the tailgate).
Aaand it’d be nice to have the “not all variants” part explained in meticulous detail.

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Tacoma TRD Pro
Country flag
It looks like 3mm is out, up to 1.8mm is in. The upcoming Monroe and Associates tear down will reveal the truth.

Tesla Cybertruck Stainless steel thickness not 3mm but UP TO 1.8mm thick. Still stop bullets from .45-cal Tommy gun and Special Forces 9mm MP5 machine pistol 5418A80E-6878-4AE2-BA7C-73DD36CCAC56

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
I cant repeat the jargon, but Sandy said (as we know) Tesla processed the SS to make it super hard.

Perhaps since 2019 they made the SS even stronger and 1.8mm(if) was enough and perhaps not as compromised. ?
This might well be, but hardness should not be associated with penetration stopping capability nor structural strength.

This is because if the steel is too hard it becomes brittle and the projectiles shatter the material on the way through. So you need to keep some deformability to absorb the energy and dissipate it.

The same applies to deflection were the steel bends instead of cracking.

The skin strength is only really relevant for ingress protection on the doors, otherwise it just forms a durable exterior cladding to push the air out of the way smoothly.

Variable556

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Explorer, Escape
Country flag
All Cybertrucks are made with the same materials.
Tesla Cybertruck Stainless steel thickness not 3mm but UP TO 1.8mm thick. Still stop bullets from .45-cal Tommy gun and Special Forces 9mm MP5 machine pistol IMG_5880

I certainly believe you’re correct, but as it’s their video with their captioned verbiage, some clarification would seem to be prudent.

(I’m wondering if “Not all variants” was intended as a CYA declaration regarding projectiles and velocities. Would make more sense.)

Cyberman

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150,F550, Escape
Occupation
Cybercontractor
Country flag
Now we know a fact or two.
3mm was NOT required....
1.8mm MAD MAX SKIN....Good to go!
More like at 3mm the range would have been 180 miles. What a bunch of crap. You overpromised and underdelivered, Elon. Exactly what you said legacy manufacturers do, and said you wouldn't. I believed you.

Last edited:

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Tacoma TRD Pro
Country flag
So the doors and quarter panels are now roughly as thick as one quarter, or 1.75 mm, not 2 quarters.

Still pretty impressive for a production vehicle. The virtually door ding and rust proof SS exterior was my #1 reason for reserving a Cybertruck.

The amazing RWS and steer-by-wire features are icing on the cake.

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1976 electric conversion bus
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
All Cybertrucks are made with the same materials.
This would make sense but there was a footnote on the rwd model. Also I think it is strange that they didn't indicate that the range extender could be used on the RWD.

kbolt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Hopefully Tesla releases some official information about the changes and any effects in the future. It would also be nice to know if it's a boat
Sponsored