Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Right now it’s not possible to drive to Alaska in an electric car. No support along the Alaskan Highway. Just wondering if with the CyberTruck Tesla will install a SuperCharger network enabling visits to Alaska. I want to go there in a CT pulling an RV.
Sponsored

jhogan2424

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Moped
Right now it’s not possible to drive to Alaska in an electric car. No support along the Alaskan Highway. Just wondering if with the CyberTruck Tesla will install a SuperCharger network enabling visits to Alaska. I want to go there in a CT pulling an RV.
Maybe in the distant future you could drive there if a few chargers become available but pulling the RV will cut your range maybe in half. You’ll need to hope for twice as many chargers to pull the RV than you’d need to hope for just to drive unloaded.

OP
OP
richardlpaul

richardlpaul

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Maybe in the distant future you could drive there if a few chargers become available but pulling the RV will cut your range maybe in half. You’ll need to hope for twice as many chargers to pull the RV than you’d need to hope for just to drive unloaded.
I am thinking because so may CT buyers are planning on pulling RVs that they will. I’ve already calculated a drive across I-10 pulling an RV and I can make it a dual motor CT.

jhogan2424

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Moped
I am thinking because so may CT buyers are planning on pulling RVs that they will. I’ve already calculated a drive across I-10 pulling an RV and I can make it a dual motor CT.
I hope they do, that would be a really nice drive. I hope it works out for you.

jhogan2424

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Moped
I’m not real familiar with that route but maybe If you could locate enough campgrounds along the way in advance it could work? And I know most don’t think a generator has much use when it comes to a cybertruck and I wouldn’t plan on or rely on using one to make the trip but a good propane powered generator might get you that few extra miles to a charging point. I say propane because the fuel stores easier than gas cans, is more reliable, and isn’t messy although it’s possible it could give you a problem in extreme cold. I’ve had an automatic backup generator on propane out in the arkansas sticks for 13 years and it has automatically started every single time the power has went out in that 13 years with the exception of once, when the starting battery had crapped out. Speaking of that, I better check it soon it seems like that was probably 5 or 6 years ago and that battery probably needs replacing again soon.

Last edited:

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
With the solar panels if you go in mid July you might be able to pick up 20+ miles/ day. Or maybe if they set up the wings, perhaps 50 miles? Might have to park during the day and hang out then drive overnight. Of course since you’ll only pick up 20-50 miles there won’t be a ton of time spent driving anyhow. Towing an RV you’d half the milage… drive very slowly?

Gotta be able to leverage those 18 hour days somehow right?

** This is sort of best case with solar. Most likely you’d get far less milage.

As a post-note, I’d suggest upping to the tri motor if you are towing long distances.

jerhenderson

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Correctional Officer
Country flag
Are you talking about the Canadian highway going to Alaska? if so, there are Tesla superchargers in Merritt, Kamloops, Kelowna, Cache Creek, Prince George and several others in between. The PG location is the geographical center of BC so at that point you're well on your way. in addition, the BC government is investing in charging locations along the highway rest areas, and also placed at BC government buildings.

Cybertruckee

Banned
Banned
First Name
Yosemite Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Red Rider
Occupation
Finance Manager
Country flag
My plans too with my bucket list of camping on "all" national parks. I guess the Alaska NPs will remain unchecked.

jerhenderson

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Correctional Officer
Country flag
Are you talking about the Canadian highway going to Alaska? if so, there are Tesla superchargers in Merritt, Kamloops, Kelowna, Cache Creek, Prince George and several others in between. The PG location is the geographical center of BC so at that point you're well on your way. in addition, the BC government is investing in charging locations along the highways, and also placed at BC government buildings.
As per my post, the BC govt already is.

electricAK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck dual-motor
Country flag
It is quite possible to drive an EV from the lower 48 to Alaska. Many people have done this drive in the model 3, S, and now Mach-E. It gets a little easier every year as more and more chargers are being added. For now, you'll have to charge at a few RV parks which can add 2 or 3 extra days to the trip. But it's a chance to stop and enjoy these remote areas.

Government Yukon and Gov BC are adding new 50KW chargers each year....it won't be long before they are available the entire way. Really, they only need to add 2 more (Fort Nelson and Watson Lake).

Now, TOWING is a whole 'nother story. I wouldn't recommend towing a trailer up here with an EV until there are super chargers en route. Tesla has been saying for years they are adding a super charger in Anchorage, but they keep pushing it back. That said, I believe they did get a cross country Supercharger route set up in China, so who knows? Maybe they will FINALLY get the Alaska highway connected in the next few years. Alaska isn't exactly a huge market for Tesla, but it's a little embarrassing they haven't yet connected the wildest, coolest drive in North America. C'mon Tesla.
Sponsored