Tesla’s $25K car could herald more affordable EVs as Morgan Stanley analyst predicts $5K unit

MEDICALJMP

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Rav4, Tri-motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
Tesla’s $25K car could herald more affordable EVs as Morgan Stanley analyst predicts $5K unit

https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-tsla-morgan-stanle-5k-car/
CREDIT: ALWINART/TWITTER
Tesla Cybertruck Tesla’s $25K car could herald more affordable EVs as Morgan Stanley analyst predicts $5K unit D98-9CA5-73E392C47C18_1_105_c-e1601883033165-80x80

ByMaria Merano
Posted on March 16, 2021

Morgan Stanley analyst Adam Jonas believes electric vehicles in the market could drop as low as $5,000 in the future. Tesla seems well on its way to releasing more affordable electric cars with its $25,000 car.
Jonas explained that high volume production of EVs would eventually lead to price cuts.

“We would not be at all surprised to see the prices of many EVs eventually fall to below $5k/unit,” Jonas wrote in a note after talking with carmakers, suppliers, and experts in the electric vehicle sector.

Since the sales and release of the Model 3, Tesla has introduced several price cuts in its vehicles made within the United States and China. The Model 3 Performance is a good example of this, as the car debuted with a $78,000 price tag before Autopilot. Today, a Model 3 Performance with basic Autopilot costs $55,990.

Tesla doesn’t seem to want to stop at price cuts for its current lineup, either. The company has also shared its plans to release a $25,000 car in the future. There is already talk of Tesla’s $25,000 electric vehicle being developed in China.

Elon Musk talked about the company’s price goals during the Q3 earnings call last year, revealing Tesla’s objective to make its cars as affordable as possible.

“I do not think we lack for desire for our product, but we do lack for affordability,” said Musk. “And so we have to improve the affordability of our products, so they are not out of reach of people. We want to bring them more in reach over time but also improve our cost of production.”

According to Street Insider, Jonas highlighted the impact manufacturing efficiencies would have in high-volume EV production in his note, which Tesla seems highly aware of based on past comments by Musk and the company’s CFO Zachary Kirkhorn.

Global Equities Research analyst Trip Chowdry argued that Tesla has a “generational lead in battery technology.” He estimated that Tesla’s battery tech might have reduced the price per kilowatt-hour by 56% and production costs by 69%.
The Model 3 was Tesla’s first high-volume vehicle. The company had a difficult time ramping production with the Model 3. However, Tesla seems to have learned many ways to improve production efficiency since the Model 3 and continues to keep improving with time.

Tesla’s production improvements are evident with its Gigafactory in China. Giga Shanghai’s production efficiency may have resulted in the price cuts of the locally-made

Adam Jonas reiterated Morgan Stanley’s “Overweight” rating and $880 price target on Tesla in his note.

Disclosure: I own shares of TSLA.

Sponsored

Last edited:

Ehninger1212

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3 E-Tron - 2005 Land Rover LR3 - T-Bucket - 1951 chevy 3100
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag
$5,000? New? What would that actually buy you though? I could see 15K buying something decent.. but 5K?

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
The sweet spot between affordable and profitable is currently around $40K-$50K. It would be very interesting to see if Tesla can pull off $25K (on the menu) in U.S. That would make a serious dent in EV adoption. At that point, we may have to make an appointment for superchargers.

Ehninger1212

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag
The sweet spot between affordable and profitable is currently around $40K-$50K. It would be very interesting to see if Tesla can pull off $25K (on the menu) in U.S. That would make a serious dent in EV adoption. At that point, we may have to make an appointment for superchargers.
LOL "ON THE MENU" ?

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
$5,000? New? What would that actually buy you though? I could see 15K buying something decent.. but 5K?
I think they meant it will drop by $5000.

p.s. There is already ton of cool two wheeled electric scooters and bicycles under that price

Last edited:

Ehninger1212

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag
I think they meant it will drop by $5000.

p.s. There is already ton of cool two wheeled electric scooters and bicycles under that price ;)
Sure, but not a car

Ehninger1212

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Sure, but not a car
Why not? If most of the parts are cast, the computers are all on chip, then the body isn't stamped as much as possible and assembled by robots that can see?

The sweet spot between affordable and profitable is currently around $40K-$50K.
That's above the average new car price, let alone down in the majority of cars sold.

-Crissa

Last edited:

Ehninger1212

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag
Why not? If most of the parts are cast, the computers are all on chip, then the body isn't stamped as much as possible...

-Crissa
That response you quoted was to the fact that there is not currently an EV car in our market under 5k new, that I know of.

Otherwise im not doubting a 5000k car, more saying.. what quality of vehicle would that be? I guess we will see what happens in the "Future"

Faffle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Soul ev
Country flag
sounds like wallstreet pump and dump bs to me.
That response you quoted was to the fact that there is not currently an EV car in our market under 5k new, that I know of.

Otherwise im not doubting a 5000k car, more saying.. what quality of vehicle would that be? I guess we will see what happens in the "Future"
total

CREDIT: ALWINART/TWITTER
D98-9CA5-73E392C47C18_1_105_c-e1601883033165-80x80.jpg

ByMaria Merano
Posted on March 16, 2021

Morgan Stanley analyst Adam Jonas believes electric vehicles in the market could drop as low as $5,000 in the future. Tesla seems well on its way to releasing more affordable electric cars with its $25,000 car.
Jonas explained that high volume production of EVs would eventually lead to price cuts.

“We would not be at all surprised to see the prices of many EVs eventually fall to below $5k/unit,” Jonas wrote in a note after talking with carmakers, suppliers, and experts in the electric vehicle sector.

Since the sales and release of the Model 3, Tesla has introduced several price cuts in its vehicles made within the United States and China. The Model 3 Performance is a good example of this, as the car debuted with a $78,000 price tag before Autopilot. Today, a Model 3 Performance with basic Autopilot costs $55,990.

Tesla doesn’t seem to want to stop at price cuts for its current lineup, either. The company has also shared its plans to release a $25,000 car in the future. There is already talk of Tesla’s $25,000 electric vehicle being developed in China.

Elon Musk talked about the company’s price goals during the Q3 earnings call last year, revealing Tesla’s objective to make its cars as affordable as possible.

“I do not think we lack for desire for our product, but we do lack for affordability,” said Musk. “And so we have to improve the affordability of our products, so they are not out of reach of people. We want to bring them more in reach over time but also improve our cost of production.”

According to Street Insider, Jonas highlighted the impact manufacturing efficiencies would have in high-volume EV production in his note, which Tesla seems highly aware of based on past comments by Musk and the company’s CFO Zachary Kirkhorn.

Global Equities Research analyst Trip Chowdry argued that Tesla has a “generational lead in battery technology.” He estimated that Tesla’s battery tech might have reduced the price per kilowatt-hour by 56% and production costs by 69%.

The Model 3 was Tesla’s first high-volume vehicle. The company had a difficult time ramping production with the Model 3. However, Tesla seems to have learned many ways to improve production efficiency since the Model 3 and continues to keep improving with time.

Tesla’s production improvements are evident with its Gigafactory in China. Giga Shanghai’s production efficiency may have resulted in the price cuts of the locally-made

Reminds me of the wallstreet pump and dump traders.

Faffle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Soul ev
Country flag
Yep, doesn't seem like financial analyst to me, it seems closer to fantasy unless they replace the word "car" with "golf cart"

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
That's above the average new car price, let alone down in the majority of cars sold.

-Crissa
True. Which is why EVs still need help with incentives and regulations. Also why Elon is shooting for that $25K goal. As of now he seem to be stuck on $37K limit (for consumers it is more like $43K when it is all said and done).
Sponsored