Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Mercedes Sprinter 2500
Occupation
Retired surgical oncologist
Country flag
Ooooo!

I am guessing and hoping for the former because I rather think Tesla will continue to shun CCS. Another possibility is a seond port unique to the CT which resembles what is on the Semi. CT users (this might only be on the TriMotor) would then be able to charge at a Semi charging station or, as the Semi's do today, use an adapter box to charge from multiple V2's or V3's. I see some issues with doing that at a busy V2/V3 station though. Apparently when a Semi does that now a Tesla crew appears and sets out cones...

A V3 charger is a V2 charger with more modules in it. Similarly a V4 unit will be a V3 unit with more modules still and perhaps a second hose or, looked at another way, 2 V3's in the same cabinet.

One nice aspect of two of the current type ports is that the vehicle could be charged at double speed at home with dual HPWC.

This is the aspect of the CT that I am most antsy about.
That might be fine for business locations, but how many residential locations come with greater than 200 amp service?
Sponsored

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
Lots and lots. Today, especially with the world becoming conscious of the coming boom of BEVs I don't think it uncommon at all to have 300 or 400 amp service. At my "summer cottage" they made me put in 600A service despite my pleadings that this was overkill by a large factor.

At home I have 400A service. One 100A breaker serves a pair of Tesla HPWC. This arrangement splits 80A between two cars (or between two ports on a hypothetical CT equipped with two ports). Thus I could charge such a CT 80/48 = 1.667 times faster than I could with only a single port. And obviously I could go at double speed if I put another HPWC its own 60A circuit.