Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt, Nissan LEAF
Occupation
Security Architect (IT/Infosec)
Country flag
Contemplating going forward with my Model A long range order in September...this wait is killing me!
I may have to consider a Model A in the meanwhile too... would make the commute more fun.
Tesla Cybertruck Tesla all but confirms Cybertruck production delay until 2022 1627495960035
Sponsored

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I bought my Model Y after ordering the truck to “Tide me over” And love it.

It’s going to hurt when the Cybertruck comes in and for the first time in 25 years or so I’ll have 2 car payments (first time in 6 years I’ve had any car payment). Hopefully both of these last 10+ years like most of my cars/ trucks have.

Nolacyber

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
S
Occupation
Exec
Country flag
All I can say is I'm contemplating suicide...
If that would drive you to suicide run don’t walk to the closest counselor. Always good to maintain a semblance of sanity to function….

Rockvillerich

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck, tri-motor, and dual motor.
Occupation
Machine fabrication
Country flag
Base on InsideEV's article, we won't see volume production of 4680's until mid 2022 at the earliest (best case)
Given this, I doubt there will be anything but a trickle of CT production until 4th quarter next year. Its also competing with Semi for cells....
Sad, but true.

Old Pro

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I own a 2006 Toyota Tacoma and 2018 Tesla Model 3,
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Tesla has all but confirmed that Cybertruck production is going to be delayed into next year.

https://electrek.co/2021/07/27/tesla-cybertruck-production-delayed/

After unveiling the Cybertruck in 2019, Tesla said that the electric pickup truck would make it to market by the end of 2021.

The automaker has not officially updated that timeline since.

With that deadline being only months aways and only very little evidence of progress toward production, Tesla was asked twice during the release of its earnings results about Cybertruck production, and the company spokespersons mostly danced around the question.

The automaker never confirmed that it would be delayed, but it strongly hinted that it would be.

In its shareholders letter, the automaker mentioned “progress” toward production, but it only wants to confirm that Cybertruck production is coming after Model Y production at Gigafactory Texas, which is planned to start “by the end of the year.”

In the same document, Tesla updates a chart quarterly about its vehicle production capacity, and it still only mentions the Cybertruck production as “in development” rather than “construction”:

Screen-Shot-2021-07-27-at-5.41.47-AM.jpg

This is confirmed by drone flyovers of Gigafactory Texas, which shows a lot of work happening inside of the Model Y section of the factory under construction, while the Cybertruck section appears to still be mostly empty inside.

During a conference call following the release of Tesla’s Q2 results, the automaker was asked directly about the status of Cybertruck production.

In one question, Tesla was even asked if it could “confirm” that production is still planned for this year, and it couldn’t do it.

Lars Moravy, vice president of vehicle engineering at Tesla, responded instead:

He stopped short of confirming that production isn’t going to start until next year, but if the automaker is still in the alpha stage of the program and it is waiting for Model Y to reach volume production, it sounds unlikely that we will see the electric pickup truck this year.

CEO Elon Musk was also asked about whether or not he expects challenges in bringing the Cybertruck to production, and he said that he believes the Cybertruck might be Tesla’s best product yet, but also the most difficult.

Electrek’s Take
While Tesla clearly appears hesitant in officially delaying the Cybertruck, I think it’s better if we forget about any chances of seeing the electric truck this year.

Otherwise, I think we are setting ourselves up for disappointment.

On top of Tesla deploying the production capacity itself, it looks like 4680 battery cells are going to be an important bottleneck into at least some time next year.

Musk even revealed during the call that Tesla has a backup plan to use 2170 cells in the new Model Y to be produced at Gigafactory Texas and Berlin until the 4680 is available and can enable the structural battery pack architecture.

I don’t think Tesla can do that with the Cybertruck and still achieve its promised specs and prices.

Source
I always projected getting my CT by the time I turn 70 in 2023....good thing I am not in a hurry! I'll be the coolest geezer on my block! In the meantime I plan on enjoying my new RV!

Jamessmooth007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
Elon has ALWAYS said ramp up will be in 2022. limited production hope for END of 2021. How was that confusing?
As early as what, beginning of 2021 he said limited production this year if they get "lucky."

I bought my Model Y after ordering the truck to “Tide me over” And love it.

It’s going to hurt when the Cybertruck comes in and for the first time in 25 years or so I’ll have 2 car payments (first time in 6 years I’ve had any car payment). Hopefully both of these last 10+ years like most of my cars/ trucks have.
Wife and I are in the same position. She's thinking Y - we haven't had a car payment in about 6 years either. Gonna hurt to have two!

jerhenderson

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Correctional Officer
Country flag
As early as what, beginning of 2021 he said limited production this year if they get "lucky."

Wife and I are in the same position. She's thinking Y - we haven't had a car payment in about 6 years either. Gonna hurt to have two!
As per Em.... " After unveiling the Cybertruck in 2019, Tesla said that the electric pickup truck would make it to market by the end of 2021. '. Not the beginning.... the end.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
As per Em.... " After unveiling the Cybertruck in 2019, Tesla said that the electric pickup truck would make it to market by the end of 2021. '. Not the beginning.... the end.
Yeah, I heard several sources say “Cybertruck delayed again” but I’m pretty sure EOY 2021 has always been slated as start of production and 2022 as the start of customer deliveries.

So long as production starts by early March, I have a solid chance of getting mine in time for my birthday. If it drifts into Q2 they I’ll start getting anxious.

If they get them out by end of Q1 2022, that’ll be 30 months wait instead of the 28 I expected to wait. This isn’t a game for the impatient.

Cybertruckee

Banned
Banned
First Name
Yosemite Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Red Rider
Occupation
Finance Manager
Country flag
Hope springs eternal, I saw semis going out of Fremont plant to Sparks-Panasonic battery manufacturing facility, that's covered with plastic wraps with profile configuration as that of the Cybertruck, lol..

My son who used to work for Tesla says that initial productions are usually done in that onion dome in their Fremont campus (ok, this part is true, lol).

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Hope springs eternal, I saw semis going out of Fremont plant to Sparks-Panasonic battery manufacturing facility, that's covered with plastic wraps with profile configuration as that of the Cybertruck, lol..

My son who used to work for Tesla says that initial productions are usually done in that onion dome in their Fremont campus (ok, this part is true, lol).
Tesla said they were moving to Beta. It’s almost certain that there are CT bodies floating around somewhere. That’s why I have trouble getting too excited that we see one or two bodies floating around. They are out there or will be soon.

I’ll be far more interested/ excited when:

* We see a beta build and get an idea of what’s changed.
* We hit some key steps in assembly line like the Gigapress getting installed.
* I’d love to have some sneak peaks of final features like the wheels turning and the handle-less doors.

Mostly…. Mostly I’ll get excited when I hear some reliable source that 4680 production is hitting stride. That seems to be the single biggest roadblock in the project right now.
Sponsored