Tesla are they backing out of agreement to sell 2 motor cyber truck first

Zapharus

First Name
Israel
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘17 Civic Htbk, ‘14 Scion iQ, Cybertruck preorder
Country flag
There was a tweet by Elon that said the tri-motor would still exist but that the quad-motor would be first off the line.
Elon never explicitly confirmed the tri-motor still exists, he may have implied it, what he actually said was:

“Initial production will be 4 motor variant, with independent, ultra fast response torque control of each wheel.”

Which was a reply to this tweet:

“Rumor has it that the Cybertruck is no longer configurable on the Tesla site because they're debating getting rid of the single motor version and having only 2, 3, and 4 motor variants.”
Advertisement

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Elon never explicitly confirmed the tri-motor still exists, he may have implied it, what he actually said was:

“Initial production will be 4 motor variant, with independent, ultra fast response torque control of each wheel.”

Which was a reply to this tweet:

“Rumor has it that the Cybertruck is no longer configurable on the Tesla site because they're debating getting rid of the single motor version and having only 2, 3, and 4 motor variants.”
Indeed… Musks post added confusion without clarification
Pretty likely there is a two motor and four motor config…. One and three motor configs might both be gone.

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
I would be surprised if we hear any definitive statements. I think we will get a few vague qualified ones.
It is definitive Tesla is keeping Cybetruck RWD single motor ‘cuz… Robotaxi

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Indeed… Musks post added confusion without clarification
Pretty likely there is a two motor and four motor config…. One and three motor configs might both be gone.
He didn't add confusion.

Never assume Musk said something he didn't say.

Someone on the autism spectrum almost never excludes details they mean to say unless their actual wording is effed up. They only say what they say.

All this 'he was replying to or didn't mention' - he didn't mention it because either he doesn't know, hasn't decided, or isn't talking about it.

He didn't mention the other models, so we have no information about them. We know of no models that have been cancelled. There's a thread about each of the models being canceled on the forum, but no such announcement has been made for any of them. There's multiple threads about raising prices - but no prices have been mentioned.

If he didn't mention it, then there was no update or cancellation. Period.

-Crissa

madquadbiker

First Name
Tony
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Navara NP300, Smart fortwo, Honda TRX700XX, Honda MSX125SF.
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
He didn't add confusion.

Never assume Musk said something he didn't say.

Someone on the autism spectrum almost never excludes details they mean to say unless their actual wording is effed up. They only say what they say.

All this 'he was replying to or didn't mention' - he didn't mention it because either he doesn't know, hasn't decided, or isn't talking about it.

He didn't mention the other models, so we have no information about them. We know of no models that have been cancelled. There's a thread about each of the models being canceled on the forum, but no such announcement has been made for any of them. There's multiple threads about raising prices - but no prices have been mentioned.

If he didn't mention it, then there was no update or cancellation. Period.

-Crissa
And we all thought the final specification was set.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
You don’t have to intend to add confusion. The problem is he added information without adding the context around it. We had a good idea of what to expect. Now it is clear that idea is at best incomplete now. Is the tri motor to be replaced or is this a new separate model? What other changes have been made to the lineup?

We know the lineup has changed but we have no idea how much.
Your comments about autism don’t change that.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
See? I wrote what I meant, and added the detail, but it still generated questions.

But if you look back: We had the same questions before he said anything. He didn't add confusion, we did.

-Crissa

myrickma

Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Cybertruck
Country flag
I can’t believe it Tesla is just doing it for the rich. To hell with the common people. I didn’t think he was that kind of person. Looks like I will being driving a gas ride till I die. Did not want it to be that way but looking like it.
2 Motor was never first, was always the 3 and that's standard across any launch of any vehicle. Most $$ go out first because ramps are hard so have to max profit to make up for it. I just hope the 2 motor price is locked in, or really close to the original, any increase for me and I'll either have to drop FSD or CT all together which would be more than heartbreaking given it would be my first EV and have a car from 2003 that I'm determined to keep alive just long enough to get my CT.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
On launch night, the dual motor was announced as first. This was later changed.

There are two reasons for this:
  1. The Plaid powertrain had not yet made it into production and
  2. The tri motor takes twice as many batteries
So it wasn't the most profitable at that point.

-Crissa

speach

First Name
Scott
Reaction score
Vehicles
AWD CT, Escalade, Acura MDX, Focus ST, PriusC
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
2 Motor was never first, was always the 3 and that's standard across any launch of any vehicle.
That is incorrect. On the CT launch I wanted the TM, but ordered DM because SM and DM were reported to be released first. It was later announced TM would be first. My assumption is when my number is called, I'll have the option to change, but that is more of a hope than an expectation.

myrickma

Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Cybertruck
Country flag
That is incorrect. On the CT launch I wanted the TM, but ordered DM because SM and DM were reported to be released first. It was later announced TM would be first. My assumption is when my number is called, I'll have the option to change, but that is more of a hope than an expectation.
Considering we're now looking at quad, I imagine you'd be able to do so (crossing fingers for you). I see now Musk announced the change something like 2-3 days later, which explains why I believed it was from the start. I think the same also happened with M3 so I probably assumed that as well. haha

firsttruck

Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
The reservation tracker suggests the single-motor is only about 15% of the orders.

No, we don't know that Tesla has given up on any of the versions of the Cybertruck. Don't give into speculation and disinfo.

Another estimate has it at 8%. Even at that, with over a million and a quarter of orders, that's a hundred thousand. You know, almost how many Lightning orders Ford was happy about.

-Crissa

There are many hundreds of thousands (maybe even millions) of single motor trucks not in the reservation queue YET.

We are not yet seeing the demand from lots of business fleet buyers.
These fleet buyers will not order until Cybertruck is shipping & they test it.

To a fleet customer that decides a single motor Cybertruck gets the job done to pay 10K extra for dual when ordering a dozen or more trucks is a lot of wasted money.

Advertisement

TSLA Stock

Advertisement