Tesla are they backing out of agreement to sell 2 motor cyber truck first

firsttruck

Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
He didn't add confusion.

Never assume Musk said something he didn't say.

Someone on the autism spectrum almost never excludes details they mean to say unless their actual wording is effed up. They only say what they say.

All this 'he was replying to or didn't mention' - he didn't mention it because either he doesn't know, hasn't decided, or isn't talking about it.

He didn't mention the other models, so we have no information about them. We know of no models that have been cancelled. There's a thread about each of the models being canceled on the forum, but no such announcement has been made for any of them. There's multiple threads about raising prices - but no prices have been mentioned.

If he didn't mention it, then there was no update or cancellation. Period.

-Crissa
Yup, Elon did not mention prices or the other models.

The simplest explanation is that he has said nothing about prices or the other models because he just didn't want to or maybe just didn't think to mention them.
These are tweets not legal docs.

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.
Advertisement

LDRHAWKE

First Name
John
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota FJ, GTS1000,FJR1300, Aprillia Scarabeo,
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
I reserved a 2-motor version. I have to wonder if Tesla will drop the price of the 2-motor down to the 1-motor version. That would be nice. I don't see a reason why Tesla would automatically upgrade all 3-motor reservations to 4-motor unless the price was the same. Will we end up reserving again? That only seems proper.
The quad will require a totally new casting so I wouldn’t be surprised if all trimotors orders became quads.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
But if you look back: We had the same questions before he said anything. He didn't add confusion, we did.
No we had a whole other set of questions. Last week I was fairly confident that my tri motor config would be available about 6 months after launch. Now? Maybe I have to upgrade to a new more expensive variant or get pushed back in the queue. I just don’t know.

John K

First Name
John
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
What if the tri Became a quad at same price point and 98% of the first 20,000 reservations were for the tri.

Would this scenario not make sense to start with the quads?

We have too little information now. However, if @Ogre was expecting 6 months after production start, he should definitely cancel since his reservation number is earlier than mine! Grumbling to self, I just waited one day, did not expect to be this far back in line.

First Name
Marcia
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
farmer
Country flag
HAHAHAHA!! Are you serious with this?!?
You really think Elon Musk, the billionaire, and/or Tesla care about “the common people”?!? Even if they do care, they are still a business and they have to protect their profits because if you haven’t noticed there’s an ongoing pandemic that has caused major supply constrains across multiple industries which has increased the price of everything so it is only logical that prices may need adjustment.
I. always thought Elon was above all this money crappola. I still think so. I think he still is working to get the average guy or girl in an ev for our future on this planet. Go ahead and call me pollyanna it won't be the first time.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I. always thought Elon was above all this money crappola. I still think so. I think he still is working to get the average guy or girl in an ev for our future on this planet. Go ahead and call me pollyanna it won't be the first time.
Even if you assume Musk is the greediest man on the planet making a truck which is only available to the rich makes no sense. Selling hundreds of thousands of trucks a year is only possible if your truck is financially available to the middle class. Selling a million trucks a year is only possible if you make a truck which competes with the lower end F-150s in the $35-50k price range.

Musk wants to sell a million trucks a year. That won’t happen for 4-5 years, so those lower end trucks are likely a few years out, but that’s the goal.

This isn’t Pollyanna stuff, there is a ton of profit selling mid-low end trucks.

Mini2nut

Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma TRD Pro + Tesla Model Y
Country flag
The Quad Motor just made the Tri Motor obsolete. Tesla is all about minimal trim levels for its vehicles.

A Quad, Tri, Dual and Single Motor model Cybertruck? I just don‘t see it happening as it would add too much complexity to the assembly line. For example, Tesla just announced that the Single Motor Model Y is officially dead and asking all Single reservation holders to choose from two trims. Dual Motor or Performance.

Last edited:

stangfish

First Name
Stan
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck, tri-motor, FSD
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Tesla realizes they have no way to meet the Cybertruck demand, and as the queue goes out years into the future, they are doing what any rational public company would -- maximizing profits. They will build only the quad-motor until the demand for it is less than what they can manufacture. Unfortunately, I don't expect the quad motor to be less that a soul-destroying $99K not only because of legendary demand, but also because of all the upgrades identified since the original announcement (longer travel suspension, 4 motors, 4 wheel steering, etc.). Sadly, this is just how the market works.

Mini2nut

Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma TRD Pro + Tesla Model Y
Country flag
I agree but feel your pricing is a tad high for the Quad. Most are estimating between $85-90k for the base price. I am sure it's going to offered with some Quad exclusive options that will enable the truck to go well past $100k.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Tesla realizes they have no way to meet the Cybertruck demand, and as the queue goes out years into the future, they are doing what any rational public company would -- maximizing profits. They will build only the quad-motor until the demand for it is less than what they can manufacture. Unfortunately, I don't expect the quad motor to be less that a soul-destroying $99K not only because of legendary demand, but also because of all the upgrades identified since the original announcement (longer travel suspension, 4 motors, 4 wheel steering, etc.). Sadly, this is just how the market works.
We’ve already seen Tesla‘s response to the massive pre-orders for the Cybertruck. They are building a factory capable of fulfilling that demand.

It is far more profitable to sell 2 million trucks then it is to sell 500,000. The most popular configuration for the Cybertruck was the dual motor config. More than 60% of Cybertruck pre-orders for for either the dual or the single motor configs. The amount of interest in a $100k truck is going to be a fraction of that demand.

prl99

Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Toyota Tacoma, registered for dual motor CT
Country flag
The quad will require a totally new casting so I wouldn’t be surprised if all trimotors orders became quads.
A tri-motor and quad-motor would use the same rear casting while the tri-motor and dual-motor would use the same front casting. Right? I would assume the basic CT body might remain the same so only the under-castings would be different. I'm not sure Tesla is thinking about casting the CT under-body as one piece are they? If they are, I have to wonder why they'd even consider a second model, just go with the quad-motor. That means I wouldn't buy one unless they significantly reduce the price. Maybe provide 4 motors but sell different battery pack sizes. That could reduce the costs of multiple castings but would still keep the price up because of double the number of motors.

LDRHAWKE

First Name
John
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota FJ, GTS1000,FJR1300, Aprillia Scarabeo,
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
A tri-motor and quad-motor would use the same rear casting while the tri-motor and dual-motor would use the same front casting. Right? I would assume the basic CT body might remain the same so only the under-castings would be different. I'm not sure Tesla is thinking about casting the CT under-body as one piece are they? If they are, I have to wonder why they'd even consider a second model, just go with the quad-motor. That means I wouldn't buy one unless they significantly reduce the price. Maybe provide 4 motors but sell different battery pack sizes. That could reduce the costs of multiple castings but would still keep the price up because of double the number of motors.
with the four wheel steering on all models I would expect all models would use a separate casting for each wheel.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
No we had a whole other set of questions. Last week I was fairly confident that my tri motor config would be available about 6 months after launch. Now? Maybe I have to upgrade to a new more expensive variant or get pushed back in the queue. I just don’t know.
But that's the same question you had before: Would there be a fancier configuration that you couldn't afford?

It is far more profitable to sell 2 million trucks then it is to sell 500,000.
The inverse is true. It's more profitable to sell fewer trucks.

-Crissa

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
There could be an empty space where the extra motor mass would go. Or a panel that's different for the bed access hatch.

-Crissa

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
The inverse is true. It's more profitable to sell fewer trucks.
Either way is an over-simplification. As price increases, the number of buyers decreases. There is a break-even point where profit maximization happens. The number of trucks Tesla can sell at $100k is far less than half the number they can sell at $50k. Tesla would have to make up for that shortcoming in volume by more than doubling the profit per truck sold.

The other side of this coin is Tera Texas is capable of producing 500k trucks or more per year. If they only sell 100k trucks, that wasted capacity has a cost too.

Advertisement

TSLA Stock

Advertisement