First Name
Reginald
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
Either way is an over-simplification. As price increases, the number of buyers decreases. There is a break-even point where profit maximization happens. The number of trucks Tesla can sell at $100k is far less than half the number they can sell at $50k. Tesla would have to make up for that shortcoming in volume by more than doubling the profit per truck sold.

The other side of this coin is Tera Texas is capable of producing 500k trucks or more per year. If they only sell 100k trucks, that wasted capacity has a cost too.
Not trying to disagree but Tesla’s whole point is to optimize human survival instead of corporate profit. I’m sure that Tesla is VERY well aware of the economics but Elon has stated that human survival is the primary directive.
Advertisement

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Not trying to disagree but Tesla’s whole point is to optimize human survival instead of corporate profit. I’m sure that Tesla is VERY well aware of the economics but Elon has stated that human survival is the primary directive.
I agree!

Lots of people don’t buy into that though.

The weird thing about this is Tesla’s best strategy here is the same regardless of whether they are maximizing profit or more interested in the Tesla “Mission” (Aka energy storage and transport that doesn‘t kill us).

It seems to me this is often the case with Tesla. Musk is quite good at making solutions which are profitable and forward the mission. It makes the mission self-sustaining.

Selling millions of Cybertrucks is both the most profitable choice for Tesla and consistent with Tesla’s mission.

prl99

Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Toyota Tacoma, registered for dual motor CT
Country flag
There could be an empty space where the extra motor mass would go. Or a panel that's different for the bed access hatch.

-Crissa
True but when you have four motors they're generally offset from the middle without any driveshaft between each pair (independent). This would mean one of the front motors (and rear for dual-motor) would have to have a longer driveshaft for the opposite wheel and that driveshaft would need some body attachment pieces (bushing, bearing, ?). The dual-motor and triple motor are shown with the front motor in the middle of the body frame with two driveshafts like on normal front-wheel drive cars. Building this way means the truck is balanced. Having an empty frame spot from the absent motor means the truck is unbalanced. If they build the dual-motor with the same castings they'd need to place the working motors opposite each other (right on front, left on rear) to maintain some balance, which I don't think will work well. The motors that drive two wheels need to be along the middle of the frame.

Do we even know if Tesla will be casting the frame body on the CT?

TruckDaddy

Reaction score
Vehicles
Tri-motor
Country flag
"The inverse is true. It's more profitable to sell fewer trucks."

Then don't sell any, and reap the rewards all the way to the bank.

Cybertruck Hawaii

First Name
Michael
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sienna
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
No single motor version CT? I’ll just have to wait for the electric pickup truck from BYD that is much more affordable for the average Joe in America. There is enough competition in the market to please everyone.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
No single motor version CT? I’ll just have to wait for the electric pickup truck from BYD that is much more affordable for the average Joe in America. There is enough competition in the market to please everyone.
This is rumor. Nobody from Tesla has said anything about eliminating anything.

Lets wait and see what actually gets announced instead of getting upset about assumptions and rumor.

I’m quite certain that a low end Cybertruck will make it to market eventually.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Profit is revenue minus cost. It costs more to make more. But profit is not all that Tesla is about.

It's just that if your costs don't change as you scale, it's going to be more profitable to sell fewer.

And if you can only sell so many because of constraints, their price can be increased until you hit demand constraints.

-Crissa

OP
OP

Alan Tierney

First Name
Alan
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Prius
Occupation
Don’t have one
Country flag
Profit is revenue minus cost. It costs more to make more. But profit is not all that Tesla is about.

It's just that if your costs don't change as you scale, it's going to be more profitable to sell fewer.

And if you can only sell so many because of constraints, their price can be increased until you hit demand constraints.

-Crissa
Yes putting profit over selling to reduce emissions for the large amount. That is putting money in instead of lowering CO2 for the large volume.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Yes putting profit over selling to reduce emissions for the large amount. That is putting money in instead of lowering CO2 for the large volume.
The market is largely constrained by the inability to manufacture batteries fast enough. Tesla is attacking that head on.

They can only broaden their offerings as their ability to manufacture or acquire batteries expands.

Advertisement

TSLA Stock

Advertisement