Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 F150, '23 MY, '24 CT, '23 Maveric hybrid soon
Occupation
Operations Planner
Country flag
Tesla battery day was supposed to happen sometime in April with Elon saying in the Q4 earnings call, "Battery Day people. Wait until Battery Day. It's gonna blow your mind. It blows my mind, and I know it! " (Now, it may be delayed because of COVID19, but who really knows anymore?!)

In preparation, I want to hear everyone's predictions! What will we learn, what do we have to look forward to?

My best guesses:
1. Updates on what Maxwell tech will give the next gen Tesla batteries (could we see a CT range of 700miles?! :cool:)
2. Updated range estimates
3. Update as to where this new battery production will be or is already taking place. (I think there is more to this...I think there is some technological advance like a self constructing manufacturing line, or something along that line)
4. New factory location, where CYBERTRUCK will be built
5. Tesla semi starting production
I think we'll see some variant of all of those. Though, I think he'll keep the Cybertruck range at 620 miles/1,000 km because it's a good number. I'd freaking LOVE more range because it'll seriously help on road trips from the middle of nowhere out here. Heck, It'd be great to have 500 miles of towing range!

Oh and one more thing... When will they do battery day?
Sponsored

Last edited:

MUSK007

Banned
Banned
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Model S - P100D
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Range is king. It’s very important to me even though I charge every night at home. Since the actual real world range is far less than what is advertised, the more range the better for me. My hope is when Tesla can sell all its cars with 500 or 600 miles of range, that range fear will go away for the rest of the current ICE owners, and that will be a game changer for the masses.

lukefrisbee

Banned
Banned
First Name
luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2m AWD Cybertruck
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Everyone went with the obvious.
I think buying a big piece of dirt, or more than one, is paramount. Mines.

VolklKatana

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ts.la
Vehicles
2019 Tesla M3 LR AWD FSD, CT3 reserved
Occupation
Data Architect
Country flag

VolklKatana

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ts.la
Vehicles
2019 Tesla M3 LR AWD FSD, CT3 reserved
Occupation
Data Architect
Country flag
Battery Day Prediction series.
These seem really interesting and full of good detail, and I will definitely watch them all eventually, but can only take so much of how slowly this is presented in these videos.

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Tacoma TRD Pro
Country flag
The videos above are very well done. It gives a great preview on future battery technology and manufacturing. Having a reliable supply of highly advanced battery packs is the key to future growth and success.

Last edited:

TyPope

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 F150, '23 MY, '24 CT, '23 Maveric hybrid soon
Occupation
Operations Planner
Country flag
I think we'll see some variant of all of those. Though, I think he'll keep the Cybertruck range at 620 miles/1,000 km because it's a good number. I'd freaking LOVE more range because it'll seriously help on road trips from the middle of nowhere out here. Heck, It'd be great to have 500 miles of towing range!

Oh and one more thing... When will they do battery day?
Replying to myself with an answer, of sorts:
Battery day will most likely slip to mid-May
https://www.cybertruckownersclub.co...battery-day-predictions-anyone.835/post-10120

lukefrisbee

Banned
Banned
First Name
luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2m AWD Cybertruck
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Dang it. I had hail damage last year. And hurricane season starts in June. So I was waiting on Battery Day to see if there was a serious positive bump about batteries to see if I'd go with a tesla solar roof and powerwalls. As it is now it really isn't close to sensible with the solar roof only delivering 15kw max and costing $62k with 3 powerwalls. With electricity costing less than .11/kw it'd take longer than I'll live to recoup the investment. Whereas buying $30k of tesla stock should pay for my electricity and a whole lot more right from the start.

Delusional

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Occupation
Construction
Country flag
Lithium battery production is an extremely complex subject, and it intersects Tesla at so many tangents that they really did need four seperate videos to scratch the surface of the issue. I won't even attempt a guess. I'd really need to make an entire series of guesses.

Instead, I will go off topic, I just want to put this out. This is the most exciting development in battery tech so far this year. A completely new lithium production technique. It's a game-changer if it's cheap enough.

Here are three quotes ripped from the article"
1. "This breakthrough invention will literally change the way lithium is produced and how we power our future."
...... If it's cheap enough to manufacture and operate the filters. Evaporation ponds seem pretty cheap to me.
2. "a way to utilize metal-organic framework channels that mimic the filtering function, or ion selectivity, of biological ion channels embedded within the membranes of living cells."
.... "Ion selectivity" is the key here.
3. “Preliminary studies have shown that this technology has a lithium recovery rate of approximately 90 percent — a substantial improvement on the 30 percent recovery rate achieved through the current solar evaporation process.”

They are talking about tripling the amount of lithium recovered from brines, and doing it in a minuscule fraction of the time required by current technologies. The filters can be tuned to filter for other elements, possibly for desalination of seawater.
They don't mention exactly what the "Metal Organic Framework MOF" is made of. Apparently there's no platinum or other catalysts required.
You gotta figure if the MOF is really cheap to make, they would say it. If it's super-expensive, they would most likely mention that too.

[Edit] Duhhh .. I may as well provide a link to the article.
ScienceDailycom Powering the future with revolutionary lithium extraction technique
No mention of Doctor. John B. Goodenough, but you gotta figure he was in the room, since it was University of Texas at Austin,

Last edited:

drcarric2650

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
98 F150
Country flag
I may be an optimist but I see that people in cities with clean air now, like it, and like it so much that more people are wanting their next car to be electric. Perhaps this virus will shine a light on the real problem, and will ultimately push us to clean energy.

For the battery day, I'm hoping they take advantage of the increase desire of the world to go electric, and state that if desired they can produce enough batteries to produce 4 million cars next year, and double each year if the demand is there.
Sponsored