Tesla canceled my solar roof

Odiggity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
T
Country flag
They said it was too complex with the new installation guidelines
Tesla Cybertruck Tesla canceled my solar roof 33364DBB-CFD3-401E-A2E3-D1326B81682F
Sponsored

BillyGee

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y P, Model 3 LR, Founders CT (Ordered)
Occupation
Technician
Country flag
That really sucks, did they at least get your deposit back?

Also, why does your roof have so many facets? I've never seen a roof with that many angles and joints, it looks like someone hit autocomplete in the Sims.

ÆCIII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
They said it was too complex with the new installation guidelines
33364DBB-CFD3-401E-A2E3-D1326B81682F.jpeg
Thanks for sharing. Your layout view is informative in that it shows the Tesla solar tiles that produce power, are only the ones that are on continual larger roof planar sections without any interrupting features like vent pipes or valley transitions between hips and dormers. From your drawing it appears only about 35% - 40% of your roof area is usable for solar tiles, while the rest actually is filled with complex hips, valleys, dormers, and vent pipes requiring a very tedious and expensive installation just to make the 35% area of solar tiles to look right. Your roof obviously has some beautiful architectural design aspects, but unfortunately those many aspects make the Tesla solar installation less practical and more difficult for complex roof structures. Of course if you think about it, the same goes for conventional solar panels as well. I think solar (Tesla and conventional) currently needs larger planar roof surfaces for installations to be optimal and practical for good power returns and ultimately return on investment.

At least they're being up front and honest with you. Because if they insisted on completing your installation as difficult as it is, that would mislead others with similar complex roofs, creating situations of more difficult installations and prolonged investment returns for all concerned over the long term. Seems like they are just 'keeping it real' and avoiding unrealistic expectations.

Last edited:

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Can you remove/relocate some of your vents? Roof vents can be deflected pretty far, especially the plumbing ones.

That seems to be a big part with your complexity issue.

-Crissa

Last edited:

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1976 electric conversion bus
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
Can you remove/relocate some of your vents? Roof vents can be deflected pretty far, especially the plumbing one.

That seems to be a big part with your complexity issue.

-Crissa
If you have an attic a plumber could move them easily. If someone made a nice ridge transition material it would be nice to stay conventional on the north/complex side. It would still look good from either side. Way better than scabbing panels all over the place.

OP
OP

Odiggity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
T
Country flag
Agree that the roof is complex, wasn’t built with solar in mind. There are 4 skylights that we were planning to remove which gained 3kwh.

Better to cancel now than fail later, just a bummer because I’ve been waiting since September
Tesla Cybertruck Tesla canceled my solar roof 0D8AAE20-C76B-485B-817F-39A339CB0A22

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
Were you using Tesla tiles because you have to to get Powerwalls? Or because you like the neater appearance? I suggest going with one of the doubtless numerous installers in your area (one of whom might be a Tesla dealer) and see what they can come up with using conventional panels which are much easier to install but for sure they aren't as neat and you'll have conduit running around the roof. The conventional installation doesn't actually look that bad.

crimsonaudio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Land Cruiser, awaiting a CYBRTRK
Country flag
FWIW, my parents recently installed conventional (LG) panels and have a Tesla Powerwall (came as part of the package). So if the Powerwall was part of the draw it can be done with conventional panels.

CompMaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tri CT
Country flag
In this case I do not believe the vents matter, is may only matter if one would need to gain more power output. From what I see in this case is more of all the different angels and obstruction cuts that would have to be made. Weither the obstruction was on one side or the other the tiles still need to be cut. I'm sure these title take longer to measure and cut on site. I wonder if they now have a new time frame of install due to the backlog?
I agree that is a really nice looking roof!! And I also agree if you have the availability to add more power I would get the vents moved anyway weather it be solar roof or solar panels.
In my area we are only allowed to put solar up to "100%" of our usage based on average of last 12 month. Thus I will be doing solar panel so my power production can grow as my power needs grow. IE CT in the future, and who else know what next... my oldest is 7 and already planning trips with his own Tesla... lol

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
So if the Powerwall was part of the draw it can be done with conventional panels.
Not with LG panels unfortunately. Tesla has announced that it will not sell Powerwalls unless they are part of an order that contains PV as well. I suppose one could buy conventional panels from Tesla and get Powerwalls that way.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
I've always been a little skeptical about Generac.
Sponsored