ModelAZ

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck Ordered
Country flag
Taking guesses on tow rating number (SAE)! I'm gonna put my guess in at 20,000 lbs.

Musk has gone on the record saying the Cybertruck's tow rating will be more than the F-150 V6 turbo which is currently class leading at 13,200 lbs. and he also laughed at a Ram 1500 owner who tweeted at him saying he hauls steel beams with his Ram 1500 everyday. This was his response. :ROFLMAO:

So these statements make me think the Tesla truck should blow away the current top haulers.
Sponsored

olibear

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Tesla Model 3
Country flag
I'm going to be happy with anything. Right now I'm pulling a little trailer from a motorcycle, but would prefer to have more space and ability to pull a heavy load!

Tesla Cybertruck Tesla Cybertruck tow rating _ShadowFox13 copy

Old Spice

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150, Polaris RZR
Country flag
I'm going to be happy with anything. Right now I'm pulling a little trailer from a motorcycle, but would prefer to have more space and ability to pull a heavy load!

_ShadowFox13 copy.jpg
That’s awesome that you tow anything at all with your M3! What do you transport in there?

With the truck you’ll be able to tow the Model 3 with more than 50 of those little trailers attached!

olibear

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Tesla Model 3
Country flag
That’s awesome that you tow anything at all with your M3! What do you transport in there?

With the truck you’ll be able to tow the Model 3 with more than 50 of those little trailers attached!
I have a side business selling water-based car care products, so I need to transport the booth setup plus products. I lay the seats down and put larger items like a canopy and banners inside, but I'd rather have a pickup truck bed or the ability to take my 4x8 Harbor Freight trailer out of storage! I was fortunate enough to be a vendor at the National Drive Electric Week events in Los Angeles and San Bernardino this past September.

Deleted member 105

I'm going to go with 25,000-30,000 based on a couple things.

1. Overall goal of the truck seems to be "better than 1/2 ton truck for truck usage, faster than a Porsche for sporty fun on the road, more comfortable than a plush minivan" (Musk's comments on the compromise of payload vs comfort for suspension).

2. F450 / Ram 3500 diesel platforms with 1,000 lb/ft of torque can tow 35,000 but also weigh significantly more (~6,000-7,000 curb weight) than the Cybertruck likely will (probably 4,500 - 5,000 lbs, give or take. Actually maybe 5,500 - the S is nearly 800 lbs heavier than a BMW 5-series for example). So I would think there may be difficulty in stopping with anything much heavier than that, unless there's a dually rig in the works too for goosenecks / 5th wheels.

3. 30,000 covers damn near everything including construction barring a few edge cases for usage. So it would do very nicely for fleet sales, which is a huge chunk of what Ford sells for the F150s. Even 5th wheel glamping campers are generally under 30,000, so no real need to engineer for higher than that.

4. Disclaimer - I'm not a mechanical or structural engineer, but I am a former mechanic and welder. So #4 : I think the likely weigh to achieve high payload and towing capacity while maintaining ride comfort and all the other capabilities (auto ride height adjusting for speed, for example) is to combine electromagnetic suspension with airbags. However, I don't know if this will be a BOF truck or unibody - or hybrid. If BOF, then it would practically demand both to maintain ride smoothness with that much hauling capacity.

I dunno, just spitballing off the top of my head here.

Last edited by a moderator:

Broccoli2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Model 3, 2018 Jeep Rubicon, 2013 GMC 2500
Country flag
disappointed with tow rating. I think my 24' enclosed trailer will be at it's limits. I don't like to tow at max limits. I had a chevy dually diesel. I could tow pretty much anything I could hook up. never had to think about it. Not the case with Cybertruck.....

Deleted member 105

4. Disclaimer - I'm not a mechanical or structural engineer, but I am a former mechanic and welder. So #4 : I think the likely weigh to achieve high payload and towing capacity while maintaining ride comfort and all the other capabilities (auto ride height adjusting for speed, for example) is to combine electromagnetic suspension with airbags. However, I don't know if this will be a BOF truck or unibody - or hybrid. If BOF, then it would practically demand both to maintain ride smoothness with that much hauling capacity.

I dunno, just spitballing off the top of my head here.
Well, I nailed the suspension part and the 0-60 being < 3.5 seconds. Definitely did NOT expect it to be that ugly though - nor did I expect the rollup bed cover.

Also, not a single person caught the pun I threw in there...I'm disappointed.

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
Taking guesses on tow rating number (SAE)! I'm gonna put my guess in at 20,000 lbs.

Musk has gone on the record saying the Cybertruck's tow rating will be more than the F-150 V6 turbo which is currently class leading at 13,200 lbs. and he also laughed at a Ram 1500 owner who tweeted at him saying he hauls steel beams with his Ram 1500 everyday. This was his response. :ROFLMAO:

So these statements make me think the Tesla truck should blow away the current top haulers.

This thread didn't age well
Unless you enjoy comedy
Sponsored