Christo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 MS LR, 2022 MYP
Occupation
Attorney
Country flag
They actually don't have the power to do that. The order agreement does not say they can turn it down and still prevent you from reselling. Email arbitration. The contact info is in your order agreement.
He needs written consent before he can sell. Further, his request must be in “good faith” and his request based on “quality” was not the correct approach. Why would Tesla admit poor quality in writing, not a chance.

A good faith request would have elaborated on the cost and financial hardship burden it put on the customer and that he would attempt to break even or even ask to advise on an acceptable price they would have given consent for to satisfy their concerns.
Sponsored

cgladue

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Model S 75D, 2018 Model 3 Performance
Occupation
Software Architect
Country flag
i mean it came from a service center not tesla HQ, the service center manager does not have any authority to speak on teslas behalf. you need to get your request to tesla not the servicecenter.

DFWBrad

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck (May??), MS'22 (Sold), M3P (Sold)
Country flag
Should try to move it before it goes much over 1,000 miles. Prices for the trucks over 1,500 on the used market are way lower and prices are dropping daily.
Lowest truck listed this morning was 137 now there are a couple in the 120s
The people who bought just to flip getting scared I guess? For 1m+ orders, seems 120s would be a steal for some?

rizvend

First Name
JAKEMBL
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
cybrtrk, aptera reserved
Occupation
Nurse Informaticist
Country flag
So here's the run down; I need the money and submitted a request through Tesla to buy it back with a reasoning of "unsatisfied with Cybertruck quality". That request got denied and from what I am interpreting, I can't even sell it back for the price I purchased it for. (My intent is not to profit, but break even). Any advice on how I can proceed because I do need the money as much as I love the truck but seem to be stuck both ways..
If you gave them first right of refusal and have it documented, you have all the right to initiate a sale to a 3rd party. Just get it in writing. Read your contract. Good luck. I hope all works out for you.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
"We reviewed your specific request and respectfully disagree that your reasoning for needing to sell your Cybertruck warrants an unforeseen circumstance that would trigger Tesla’s purchase of your Cybertruck. To be clear, Tesla will not purchase your Cybertruck from you and because there was no unforeseen circumstance, you are still bound by the one-year prohibition to selling your Cybertruck privately as detailed in your Motor Vehicle Order Agreement."
That violates their agreement. They can't do that. Being unhappy with the truck is being unhappy with the truck.

What are you upset about, tho?

-Crissa

FutureTruck

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX P, Lucid Air GT
The people who bought just to flip getting scared I guess? For 1m+ orders, seems 120s would be a steal for some?
A lot of people bought to flip, more bought to flip when they saw one sell for 200k. But the demand for anything over retail has slowed and each day there are more listed and prices drop. Week or two from now they will be 120k or less.

Tesla Cybertruck Tesla Doesn't Want to Buy My Cybertruck 3456324564564331.2024

Last edited:

agordon117

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
cybertruck foundation awd
Country flag
The one year reseller restriction makes me so happy, to be honest. Love it. FAFO
Yeah but it hasn't stopped the scammers who want to flip, and yet it IS stopping a person here trying to do the right thing, or reasonably close to it.

You will never catch me defending a scalper. They can all go to hell. But this isn't that.

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
If they denied the buyback, you are free and clear to sell it privately. Someone will buy it for msrp for sure.
As has been clarified but worth repeating: that is not how the provision works

and to further clarify how the provision works:

(1) Tesla has zero obligation to repurchase any truck, no matter the reason put forward by a buyer (and anyone expecting Tesla to be detail-oriented and emotionally open to reasons isn’t familiar with Tesla history)

(2) and IF Tesla does NOT choose to repurchase the truck AND does NOT provide you written consent to resell the truck, THEN the buyer is ‘stuck’ with the truck for the remainder of the 365 days (or faces the risk of attempted sale)

They are saying no to both because the reasoning is not an unforeseen circumstance as per the agreement. OP needs to say an unforeseen circumstance came up and he needs the money and not that the build quality is why he wants to get rid of the truck.
see (1) above

Only the people who bought to flip but didn’t understand how to do that correctly and out of Tesla’s reach

The people who bought to flip correctly and out of Tesla’s reach aren’t losing any sleep - it’s easily sellable if you did things right

If you gave them first right of refusal and have it documented, you have all the right to initiate a sale to a 3rd party. Just get it in writing. Read your contract. Good luck. I hope all works out for you.
It is not an actual “ROFR”, although people have used that phrase so loosely it could be confused

it is technically a ROFO (offer), but tied at the hip to a “hard consent” - Tesla has the right (but zero obligation) to offer to buy, and if Tesla declines to make an offer, then any sale is subject to Tesla hard consent to any 3rd party sale (which in this example they are refusing that consent) - backstopped by pre-agreed damages awards

Yeah but it hasn't stopped the scammers who want to flip, and yet it IS stopping a person here trying to do the right thing, or reasonably close to it.

this is how this provision was always going to play out

I won’t dig up my now ~year-old posts detailing that, but one can if they want

the way this provision works, there are three main buckets of outcomes where anyone appears concerned:

(a) knowledgeable flippers who understand how to purchase/sell these trucks out of Tesla’s reach - will do what they please with the trucks

(b) as hoc opportunist flippers who don’t know what they’re doing, so may be either entirely or only partially deterred from flipping

(c) real buyers, with legit reasons to sell (eg financial problems, divorce, deaths, or simply and genuinely finding the truck isn’t to their liking), who will be stuck with choosing to risk the legal penalties of a sale or instead stuck with the truck until the 366th day

and that’s just the customer-facing outcomes.

the Tesla corporate/PR outcomes won’t be a lot better. There’ll still be plenty of flipping by pros out of reach of Tesla, and irritating customers who don’t like to see flipping. And, Tesla will eventually step in it here, eg denying consent to sell to eg some poor recent widow who takes to social media and it gets picked up by every MSM outlet on the planet.

The net-net, risk-adjusted outcome of this provision?

Some limited number of novice attempted flippers will be deterred from selling altogether, other novices merely seeing their returns softened by having to market and price the trucks quietly

That’s is all anyone gets in exchange for the downside outcomes, eg meanwhile stopping legit buyers from selling for good reasons, minimal corporate PR uplift (because there’ll still be plenty of flipping irritating customers), and risking corporate PR downside of Tesla steps in it.

In other words, this provision is the sort of thing pushed out only by a public company that simultaneously has no marketing or functional legal department.

Last edited:

WittyWittman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cyberbeast
Country flag
A lot of people bought to flip, more bought to flip when they saw one sell for 200k. But the demand for anything over retail has slowed and each day there are more listed and prices drop. Week or two from now they will be 120k or less.

3456324564564331.2024.png
Those have been sold/removed. The one on BaT auction sold yesterday for $160K

lbelland

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Land Rover p38, CRV Hybrid Touring, Sprinter Van
Country flag
Perceived “Build quality” is the definition of an “unforeseen circumstance.”

FutureTruck

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX P, Lucid Air GT
I suppose the issues were unforeseen, maybe enough for Tesla to buy it back

Cactusrick

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
Terrible situation but you have options...Brainstorm......need money? Find someone that'll loan you the money for use of the truck and the agreement title is changed after a year.?

Find someone that has an order(me) not coming for a year or so and make some sort of agreement to buy yours back? etc.

Could there be several people who bought one, with the idea of flipping it, and can't, because Tesla is going after them are all now " having an emergency (need my money back) and have now come back to Tesla claiming the same thing? I truly hope your emergency is not a health related issue...

The guy that said this is correct: "I think that the big problem here is that you lied to Tesla. You made up a rationalization with them and you told us the truth. You need the money you spent on the truck. Maybe if you had told them why you need the money and asked to be released from the agreement they might have responded differently. .........." Good luck-
PS I'm about a year or so away- can't wait- just got FSD on mY yesterday morning -it;s amazing now....

Ghostface113

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
P100D
Country flag
They actually don't have the power to do that. The order agreement does not say they can turn it down and still prevent you from reselling. Email arbitration. The contact info is in your order agreement.
Agree it just states you have to give them the option to purchase it first. They can’t deny you and then still block you.

FutureTruck

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX P, Lucid Air GT
The problem with personally loaning or leasing the vehicle with an agreement to sell at the end is all the issues the truck is having. You think someone is going to be ok with having a high voltage wiring harness replaced taking 3 weeks+, they can't schedule service appointments or anything without the original owner.
Sponsored