Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Ok… earnings call is coming up. What are your thoughts on what we see?

The growth numbers were a bit low in sheer volume, but Sandy Munro seems to think margins are going to be sky high. We also have the potential for a big positive surprise with (potentially) high margin megapacks making some big waves.

Other potential catalysts to goose the stock are (not predictions so much as things which might goose the stock)
  • Highland — The Model 3 reboot they are working on which is supposed to be more affordable to make.
  • Gen 3 vehicle — There is an investor call on March 1st where this is to be discussed so maybe not?
  • Cybertruck — Of course any positive news on the Cybertruck is awesome
  • Huge margins — The big dip in prices suggests Tesla was raking in profits last quarter.
  • Production increases — Good news on the Texas and Berlin ramps.
What do you think will be the big takeaway from the Jan 25th call?

Tesla Cybertruck Tesla Earnings Wednesday 25th 1674334900358
Sponsored

Last edited:

greggertruck

First Name
g
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
Vehicles
Dual-CT
Occupation
I post Cybertruck stuff on the Internet and people like it.
Country flag
How I THINK Cybertruck will go on call..... (if anyone cares)

"We are on track for mid year production still. March 1st we are holding a investor day event and will have more Cybertruck details there".

How I HOPE Cybertruck goes on call......... (no one cares)

"We already answered this, refer to the earnings deck. We are on track for mid year, details in the deck. It's a bad ass product"

OP
OP
Ogre

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
How I HOPE the Cybertruck gets mentioned on this call.

“We expect Cybertruck production will begin near the end of the quarter and if everything goes well customer deliveries will start in May”.

Because that’s the only way I see a truck in my driveway for Christmas.

electricAK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck dual-motor
Country flag
I think investors (retail and institutions) actually care a TON about the status of cybertruck production. There is a strong narrative that Tesla is going to need more models in its lineup to drive steady increases in deliveries, and cybertruck is huge part of that. The CT delays have taken away investor confidence that Tesla can produce and deliver at a 40-50% growth rate. They need a new model available, and they need it now.

Beyond that, I think what wall street cares about most is the guidance on a new low-cost model for mass market, details about current demand and price cuts, and delivery guidance being realistic but still strong (maybe shoot for 40% growth?).

I think the answers to those topics will be the big takeaways. Unless they unveil some new/exciting information about the CT that would steal the show.

Richard V.

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt 2015
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Last edited:

OP
OP
Ogre

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
There has been a lot of noise since the first of the year on Megapacks.

Really hard to sort the wheat from the chaff. Tesla has a huge backlog of them and can sell them as fast as they can produce them. But what the margins look like and how fast they are ramping is a big mystery.

They are a potential dark horse winner this quarter. Maybe auto is within expectations and Megapack just blows everything away… or it might be sort-of meh like last quarter.

Richard V.

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt 2015
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
There has been a lot of noise since the first of the year on Megapacks.

Really hard to sort the wheat from the chaff. Tesla has a huge backlog of them and can sell them as fast as they can produce them. But what the margins look like and how fast they are ramping is a big mystery.

They are a potential dark horse winner this quarter. Maybe auto is within expectations and Megapack just blows everything away… or it might be sort-of meh like last quarter.
I think of Megapacks as Mega profits/margins. These factories will grow like weeds everywhere very fast. See here: (862) Tesla Lathrop MegaPack Factory Profits Greater Than Berlin Phase One Berlin in 2023 - YouTube

OP
OP
Ogre

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I’m a bit skeptical of ZeroSumGame’s claims about the Megapack.

One of the big underpinnings of his claims about margins is some code which is “leaked” in their web code. This feels like a tremendously unreliable source of data.

There is definitely a lot of smoke here though. So long as production is around 2.5 GWH and margins are good, it should be a big contributor. Since it was break even/ operating at a loss before, a big deal.

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
What we know is Tesla is aiming for around 1.5 GW by 2030.

Even if Margin is 20%

Even if they achieve half of 1.5 GW by 2030

Nobody is taking notice. Are the Megapacks we are seeing shipping out of Lathrop a mirage? Is the Energy goal by 2030 forgotten?

On the 25th, we will get very little... maybe a seed. Revelation will be March 1st.

jerhenderson

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Correctional Officer
Country flag
Ok… earnings call is coming up. What are your thoughts on what we see?

The growth numbers were a bit low in sheer volume, but Sandy Munro seems to think margins are going to be sky high. We also have the potential for a big positive surprise with (potentially) high margin megapacks making some big waves.

Other potential catalysts to goose the stock are (not predictions so much as things which might goose the stock)

Highland — The Model 3 reboot they are working on which is supposed to be more affordable to make.
Gen 3 vehicle — There is an investor call on March 1st where this is to be discussed so maybe not?
Cybertruck — Of course any positive news on the Cybertruck is awesome
Huge margins — The big dip in prices suggests Tesla was raking in profits last quarter.
Production increases — Good news on the Texas and Berlin ramps.
What do you think will be the big takeaway from the Jan 25th call?

2023 profits will be fat.
Tesla energy profit contribution and future growth might finally get attention.
CT production will help drive 2023 growth.... and profit.

OP
OP
Ogre

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
What we know is Tesla is aiming for around 1.5 GW by 2030.

Even if Margin is 20%

Even if they achieve half of 1.5 GW by 2030

Nobody is taking notice. Are the Megapacks we are seeing shipping out of Lathrop a mirage? Is the Energy goal by 2030 forgotten?

On the 25th, we will get very little... maybe a seed. Revelation will be March 1st.
I think you mean terra watt hours not GWh.

Aside from that I totally agree. I’ve just seen posts from ZSG claiming Tesla will hit 60-80% margins and that strikes me as off. You don’t get those kind of margins unless you sell software.

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
yep

Even if we think the Profit is too high, customers recoup their investment in around 2-3 years.

If Tesla is making 50%, by the time cost of a Magapacks comes down to 'fair' levels, customers have made their money back anyway.

As a business case its win/win... Its highly likely Tesla is in fact killing it. !!

If so, this could continue for 10+ years.

If its so lucrative that it makes sense for competition to come running, but its a catch 22... Tesla will be far ahead competitively they can destroy the price point...new competition must tread with caution.

Telsa has their resources lined up, and is gearing for Mega business, They and CATL will be the only companies playing in the Energy stratosphere. Neither is going to give up maximum profits.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ogre

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I think the big thing with Tesla’s energy offerings is their software. The batteries themselves are reasonably straight forward, but figuring out when to suck and when to blow power into the grid is a tough problem.

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
I think the big thing with Tesla’s energy offerings is their software. The batteries themselves are reasonably straight forward, but figuring out when to suck and when to blow power into the grid is a tough problem.
Artificial Intelligence to the rescue!

Richard V.

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt 2015
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Artificial Intelligence to the rescue!
AI at Tesla is not to be neglected as a contributor to margins/profits. The "secret sauce" for their Mega factories is likely to be the use of their AI capabilities to help Tesla run/manage and uptimise the factories and their software. I recall Elon stating that the Tesla factories will be the hard part to copy.
Sponsored