futureproof

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
https://electrek.co/2023/04/21/tesla-update-4680-battery-cell/

"On Texas production, we increased 50% quarter-over-quarter, through yields increased 12% and peak rate increased by 20% and through yields improved by 20%. Altogether, the team accomplished a 25% reduction in COGS over the quarter and we are on track to achieve steady-state cost targets over the next 12 months. And going forward for the rest of the year, the priority one is to yield in cost for the 4680 program as we steadily ramp production ahead of Cybertruck next year"
Tesla Cybertruck Tesla gives update on 4680 battery cell production: increased 50% quarter-over-quarter Tesla-4680-Battery-cell
Sponsored

jerhenderson

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Correctional Officer
Country flag
This is important. This is what was delaying the Cybertruck. All the equipment delayed by the pandemic, the slow ramp in figuring out how to make the bigger cells...

...75% improvement in capital outlay is pretty good.

-Crissa
I just wonder what the production volume is.... 2k per day? 10k per day? 50k per day?

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Earliest estimates were 1000 packs per week. Is the 50% increase from that number? Or do they add 50% to a new benchmark which we are unaware of ?.

12% Yield improvement what original yield? 20% peak rate from where?

75% improvement from a 300% overrun? Who knows?

Importantly they have a rodmap to get there, but not much takeaway using the numbers.

SONNYDUT

First Name
Sonny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus GX470, 3x Audi A3, Honda Van, Model S, Tri-Motor Cybertruck
Occupation
CAD Designer
Country flag
This signal the end, the end of waiting longer for the CT that is. This is great news. True, if Tesla don't have the resources to build the CT, then everyone waits. People just couldn't handle waiting for things they love to have, typical human. I, on the other hand, is waiting since unveiled. I will wait until I have mine. It will worth it for me.

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
“we are on track to achieve steady-state cost targets over the next 12 months”

am I reading this right? Does this mean initial CTs will cost more so they will more likely to be high trim (quad or Tri)?

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Earliest estimates were 1000 packs per week. Is the 50% increase from that number? Or do they add 50% to a new benchmark which we are unaware of ?.

12% Yield improvement what original yield? 20% peak rate from where?

75% improvement from a 300% overrun? Who knows?

Importantly they have a rodmap to get there, but not much takeaway using the numbers.

-Crissa

Cyberostachu

First Name
Manny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla.Model 3
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
This signal the end, the end of waiting longer for the CT that is. This is great news. True, if Tesla don't have the resources to build the CT, then everyone waits. People just couldn't handle waiting for things they love to have, typical human. I, on the other hand, is waiting since unveiled. I will wait until I have mine. It will worth it for me.
Whatever we desire will still depend upon the actual delivery. We cannot do anything about it whether we can handle the anxiety of waiting or not.

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
This was interesting. Not directly but somewhat relevant:

Tesla Cybertruck Tesla gives update on 4680 battery cell production: increased 50% quarter-over-quarter 1682819577646

Tesla Cybertruck Tesla gives update on 4680 battery cell production: increased 50% quarter-over-quarter 1682819820998

source:

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Almost all of the projected 50% year-over-year sales growth for Tesla by the end of 2023 will be driven by operations in Austin and Germany.
I expect those numbers will be significantly different.
Sponsored