Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram diesel
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
This was mentioned in a video from Casgains Academy in a thread I posted titled LI-METAL ENERGY DENSITY: 2,600 WH/KG

This must have been the source.

Tesla Cybertruck Tesla hybrid battery technology could add 20% more range Tesla-hydbrid-battery-diagram

Tesla hybrid battery technology could add 20% more range

Tesla hybrid battery technology doesn’t mean hybrid as in ‘fossil fuels are involved’ but describes a dual purpose battery that can change from a short range mode to a long range mode at the flick of a switch.

In other articles about batteries in Plugboats we’ve covered how higher energy density is what EV and electric boat battery companies are in search of – meaning ‘the weight or volume of the battery has the capacity to store more energy’. Higher energy density means the same power can be stored in a smaller/lighter battery or, put another way, more energy stored in the same size battery. However you put it, it means the battery can take your boat farther without needing recharge.

Different from sold state technology

Most of the work to increase density is centred on solid state batteries, in which the liquid or gel part of a battery is replaced with a solid. We’ll get to which part is replaced in a minute. But some of Tesla’s battery developers are taking a different approach (as in so many things Tesla does) and they’ve just published a research paper in Science Direct that shows their ‘hybrid’ battery technology holds a lot of promise (again, like so many things Tesla does.)

Tesla Cybertruck Tesla hybrid battery technology could add 20% more range lithium-ion-battery-diagram
In a (simplistic) nutshell, the way a battery works is that electricity flows between two electrodes – an anode (–) and a cathode (+) – through a material called an electrolyte. In a lithium-ion (Li-ion) battery the anode is usually some kind of carbon-based material like graphite. The cathode is a lithium metal – lithium mixed with a concoction of metals like cobalt, nickel, manganese, aluminum, phosphate. The liquid part, the electrolyte, also contains lithium – lithium salts dissolved in a liquid or gel.

Tesla hybrid battery plates lithium anode

It is generally agreed that using lithium in the anode (instead of carbon/graphite) can greatly increase the energy density of a battery, but because lithium is an unstable metal, there are a lot of challenges that need to be addressed. A solid state battery – putting in a solid electrolyte – addresses some of the issues, but then causes some different ones.

So what the Tesla team came up with is what could be called a hybrid anode. This is how they explained it in the Science Digest paper:

To develop a high energy density cell with longer lifetime, we propose a hybrid lithium-ion/lithium metal cell that is achieved by purposefully plating lithium metal on graphite. A hybrid anode cell design involving lithium metal plating on top of graphite provides a 20% increase in energy density over conventional lithium-ion cells.

We also found that…operating the cell with this protocol shows minimal impact to the underlying graphite capacity. Therefore, these hybrid cells can operate well in “lithium-ion mode” with periodic high energy full cycles accessing the lithium metal capacity.

Switch from one power/density mode to another
Tesla Cybertruck Tesla hybrid battery technology could add 20% more range tesla-bateries-diagram
To put that in practical terms, it means that when driving a car (or boat) within its ‘regular’ range, the regular lithium-ion part of the anode is used, but this can be switched to using the lithium-metal part of the hybrid anode when extra distance is needed. It’s kind of like having an extra gas tank you could flip to if you were driving a fossil fuel boat.

As an example, the researchers say that “...if an electric vehicle with a conventional lithium-ion battery can deliver a range of 400 km, then hybrid cells could enable a range of 480 km.”

Tesla has looked at hybrid battery technology before and applied for a patent in 2014 for a hybrid battery that used metal-air cells. As the Sunday Times reports, they “married ‘high power, medium density’ lithium-ion cells, which are ideally suited for heavy lifting (acceleration, high speed, hill climbing), to ‘high density, medium power’ metal-air cells that could be used for ‘baseline power delivery’.

In terms of a boat, this could be the kind of innovation that enables switching from one kind of battery cell for getting a boat on plane to another kind of battery cell for cruising at a maintained speed.

Hybrid Tesla battery and university research team

As always, we have to make the point that it can be a long road from publishing a research paper to having a commercially viable battery. But certainly being part of the Tesla network is an advantage in having access to the necessary resources.

Tesla Cybertruck Tesla hybrid battery technology could add 20% more range jeff-dahn-dalhousie-team
The work for this technology was done by a team at Dalhousie University in Nova Scotia, Canada headed by lithium battery guru Jeff Dahn – the NSERC/Tesla Canada Industrial Research Centre, established by Tesla and the Government of Canada in 2016. Since then they have filed for numerous patents focused on increasing energy density, including the famous ‘million mile’ battery.

For this specific work on hybrid lithium-ion/lithium metal cell research, Dahn works with his students Matthew Genovese, A.J.Louli, Rochelle Weber, and Cameron Martin.

Source: plugboats
Sponsored

Newton

First Name
Newton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
p̶r̶i̶u̶s̶ c̶,̶ y̶o̶t̶a̶ p̶i̶c̶k̶u̶p, ⼕丫⻏?尺セ尺ㄩ⼕长
Country flag
I was talking to my gf about the CT. Of course range came up, I basically told her electric cars are in their teens maybe pre-teens. but the supercharging makes range probably not much of a problem.

We are spoiled with our current dino duel. +years of advancement

When cars 1st came out, they were worse than horses in many ways. One of my relatives (Native American) was telling me about a great uncle or something who was in ww2 breaking horses for use with the allies. I always thought that was crazy to think about horses being a big part of such a modern war.

MEDICALJMP

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Rav4, Tri-motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
My one bugaboo about EV vehicles is the time to recharge. It is one thing to do overnight charging at home. When I am on a long trip I don’t want to spend an hour or more charging. I was at a supercharger last night chatting up a model 3 driver who just returned from an extended drive. 90 minutes later he is done. And there are no bathrooms at the supercharger. With COVID places are restrictive or closed later in the evening. With ICE it maybe 10 minutes including potty and snack break.

Newton

First Name
Newton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
p̶r̶i̶u̶s̶ c̶,̶ y̶o̶t̶a̶ p̶i̶c̶k̶u̶p, ⼕丫⻏?尺セ尺ㄩ⼕长
Country flag
My one bugaboo about EV vehicles is the time to recharge. It is one thing to do overnight charging at home. When I am on a long trip I don’t want to spend an hour or more charging. I was at a supercharger last night chatting up a model 3 driver who just returned from an extended drive. 90 minutes later he is done. And there are no bathrooms at the supercharger. With COVID places are restrictive or closed later in the evening. With ICE it maybe 10 minutes including potty and snack break.
Yea interestingly the chat I had with the gf was during driving about 150 miles away and back. I was saying how if we were in the CT (I'm gettin the base model) we would have to make sure a charger is nearby, and expect to spend at least half an hour there.
It will be an annoying change for sure, I just hope they keep electricity prices lower than gas.

OP
OP
TruckElectric

TruckElectric

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram diesel
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
There will be times when that extra 40, 50, 60 or more range miles will make all the difference. It may let you make it to your destination without having to stop and recharge.

Last edited:

MEDICALJMP

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
There will be times when that extra 40, 50, 60 or more range miles will make all the difference. It may let you make to your destination without having to stop and recharge.
‘Most often my road trips are 1000-1500 miles. I will, more often than not, marathon drive. That is the main reason I reserved Trimotor versus Dual I don’t need the speed or hauling (yet), but I need that range. Extra rest stop breaks for bathrooms may become necessities.

Owner13669

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I was talking to my gf about the CT. Of course range came up, I basically told her electric cars are in their teens maybe pre-teens. but the supercharging makes range probably not much of a problem.

We are spoiled with our current dino duel. +years of advancement

When cars 1st came out, they were worse than horses in many ways. One of my relatives (Native American) was telling me about a great uncle or something who was in ww2 breaking horses for use with the allies. I always thought that was crazy to think about horses being a big part of such a modern war.
Jet engines were Reported to be delivered to German fighter planes by a team of oxen.

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag
I have driven long distances non-stop before, but I do not need nor want to do that anymore.

Last time I did 600 miles in a day in a car was several years ago... and with the CT, I would have only had to stop 3 times for the vehicle... which is about the same number of times I stopped for food, drink, bathroom, or once just to get of the road and stretch my legs.

I think EVs would fit people better than they believe, but understand that some people have needs not met by what is available now.

I think some people try to find out how it wont work for them, while others try to find how it will work for them... just a matter of perspective and your willingness and energy for trying new things.

MEDICALJMP

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
I have driven long distances non-stop before, but I do not need nor want to do that anymore.

Last time I did 600 miles in a day in a car was several years ago... and with the CT, I would have only had to stop 3 times for the vehicle... which is about the same number of times I stopped for food, drink, bathroom, or once just to get of the road and stretch my legs.

I think EVs would fit people better than they believe, but understand that some people have needs not met by what is available now.

I think some people try to find out how it wont work for them, while others try to find how it will work for them... just a matter of perspective and your willingness and energy for trying new things.

I am in the How-Will-I-Get-This-To-Work-For-Me-Best category. Spent many drives through mountains and deserts fueling up and getting to the next station on fumes during good times. These are not good times. The bad times won't last forever. I just want to be prepared for worse times. We old boy scouts like to Be Prepared. Cybertruck is the badass, kick ass, apocalypse vehicle. If I can have more, more, more; I want it.

And if Level 4-5 driving comes at the end of 2020 as Elon has said, then CT can do my driving for me on that non-stop stretch.

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag
I am in the How-Will-I-Get-This-To-Work-For-Me-Best category. Spent many drives through mountains and deserts fueling up and getting to the next station on fumes during good times. These are not good times. The bad times won't last forever. I just want to be prepared for worse times. We old boy scouts like to Be Prepared. Cybertruck is the badass, kick ass, apocalypse vehicle. If I can have more, more, more; I want it.

And if Level 4-5 driving comes at the end of 2020 as Elon has said, then CT can do my driving for me on that non-stop stretch.
The only corner of the US I have not driven to is the north west. I plan on rectifying that with either an electric motorcycle or an electric truck...
I was in a Geo Tracker pulling a UHaul trailer through Texas to San Diego and those signs about no gas for 75 miles really leave an impression.

MEDICALJMP

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
The only corner of the US I have not driven to is the north west. I plan on rectifying that with either an electric motorcycle or an electric truck...
I was in a Geo Tracker pulling a UHaul trailer through Texas to San Diego and those signs about no gas for 75 miles really leave an impression.

I've done the Las Vegas to S. California route a few time where next gas was 200 miles. Death Valley in the summer is perfectly named.

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Tacoma TRD Pro
Country flag
We will all look back in 2030 and talk about how antiquated the BEV battery packs were in 2020. For example, “My parents 2020 Tesla Model 3 battery pack used around 3,000 laptop batteries!“

The technology is advancing so rapidly that I feel a true breakthrough is right on the horizon. In 10-years our cell phone battery may last a week before recharging.

Last edited:
OP
OP
TruckElectric

TruckElectric

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram diesel
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
We will all look back in 2030 and talk about how antiquated the BEV battery packs were in 2020. For example, “My parents 2020 Tesla Model 3 battery pack used around 3,000 laptop batteries!“

The technology is advancing so rapidly that I feel a true breakthrough is right on the horizon. In 10-years our cell phone battery may last a week before recharging.

I remember my first laptop. I had waited to buy one for a couple of years because they were improving so fast at the time. I decided to bite the bullet and get one as I was tired of waiting.

1999 I got a Compaq laptop that was almost the top of the line. It had a 2GB HD 233 MHz Intel processor and 8MB of RAM.

My first cellular phone was from Radio Shack that installed in my truck. Yeah it had one of those antennas that had a coil in it about midway
Tesla Cybertruck Tesla hybrid battery technology could add 20% more range WA-Image-Wilson-Antenna-311125-800x800__77728.1470263284

I even remember when people put fake ones on their car back window to make it look like they had one! :ROFLMAO:

I can just imagine what EV's will be like in 20 yrs.

Last edited:

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
My second laptop was a 286 with 640K RAM and a monochrome screen ^-^ I don't remember if it had a hard drive.

-Crissa
Sponsored