Tesla Insurance

KHappe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CyberTruck on order
Country flag
I'm trying to determine how Tesla insurance works. So hopefully, someone will have the answer.
How does the rate work? Is it for the car, no matter who is driving it and just based on how well it is being driven? Is it based on each individual driver of the car?
What if you have a teenager that drives it?
Sponsored

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I do not have Tesla insurance, I am planning on switching soon so curious about the answer here too.

My understanding is the rate is based on the driving score in the car regardless of anything else. So it doesn’t care about the age of drivers.

That said, I’m not sure about some of the details like who is covered (any legal driver??).

It also varies by state.

California doesn’t support telemetry. Oregon, Colorado, and Virginia are underwritten by Tesla, other states are not.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
I got Tesla insurance for my Model Y this last March. $123/month. I live in northern california (bay area). They must have run checks on me because we do not use Safety Score here. That is all I know, sorry; I did no research before getting it, and do not know the specs you seek.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
They can use a safety score in California, they just can't use it for live data or to change the price during an issuing period.

But uhh, that's more what the law does. I have no idea how their insurance actually functions.

-Crissa

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
They can use a safety score in California, they just can't use it for live data or to change the price during an issuing period.

But uhh, that's more what the law does. I have no idea how their insurance actually functions.

-Crissa
I got a quote before they asked if they could use my Safety Score. I think that mine was a 6-month quote. My current Safety Score is 97 because they keep dinging me for unsafe following when people change lanes into the big buffer I always put in front of me. I 'really' do not care for their algorithm, and given that they have loads of telemetry, cameras, and nevigation infor ation they shouldknow when a driving behavior is the driver's action or someone else's, or when it is poor road design, such as a really short exit ramp or lane when they fix the algorithm I think it will be ok.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Well, insurance usually factors in the regional differences in accident types, so... It's sort of fair to rate that you drive somewhere difficult.

-Crissa

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Unbelievable that every single person here was not prepared with an answer to this question, complete with references, links, citations, and preferably a diagram.

buh-bye
I went looking for my policy information immediately after replying. On the Tesla web site, under Tesla Insurance, it says we will be able to access everything, and make claims, from the Tesla app, but I see nothing about my policy there. I have sent a request for help to Tesla and will report when I know.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
I got Tesla insurance for my Model Y this last March. $123/month. I live in northern california (bay area). They must have run checks on me because we do not use Safety Score here. That is all I know, sorry; I did no research before getting it, and do not know the specs you seek.
I found the policy. You go to your Tesla app, select your picture, go to Account, and then to Insurance. My policy is $100K/$300K liability, $50K vehicle, $3,500 property damage. Single driver, me, but includes my family. It includes roadside assistance. Insured for the VIN. There is a copy of the full policy there, proof of insurance that can be copied to Apple Wallet, and a way to submit claims.

Last edited:

Bill906

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Country flag
I've been with Progressive for over 20 years. That is not a testament to their service, or my loyalty, but more a testament to my laziness and not taking the time to shop around.

Every year or so I call them and ask why my rates are so high. The agent goes over all their random discounts and finds ones that apply to me. It's annoying that I have to call every so often and go through this. "Sir I hear a dog barking in the background... Is it a Jack Russell Terrier? Oh good, we can knock $5 off your premium if we apply the JRT owner discount". My point is, although the coverage part of the service is pretty straightforward how they decide what you pay for a premium seems to be intentionally vague, confusing and almost random.

The other thing that really bothers me about car insurance is every time I get a speeding ticket they remove my "Safe driver discount" and my premium jumps. I've been with Progressive for over 20 years and I have never been in an accident. I think that is a way better metric to use to determine if I'm a safe driver. Being a fast driver and a safe driver are not mutually exclusive.

End of rant.

ED_SFO

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3
Country flag
After picking up my stand in to the Cybertruck last week, my MYP quote for Tesla insurance was about half of what my Ice insurance was at allstate. I have a clean record with just me on the policy. Based in SF my rate was $170 for Tesla and Allstate was $300. Easy choice so I signed up with their standard Tesla plan at 100/300. I have friends in Texas paying $80 a month based on their safety score. Hope Ca would allow the safety score metric someday. My current Tesla insurance was only $20 more than my last vehicle a 2008 BMW M3.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I've been with Progressive for over 20 years. That is not a testament to their service, or my loyalty, but more a testament to my laziness and not taking the time to shop around.

Every year or so I call them and ask why my rates are so high. The agent goes over all their random discounts and finds ones that apply to me. It's annoying that I have to call every so often and go through this. "Sir I hear a dog barking in the background... Is it a Jack Russell Terrier? Oh good, we can knock $5 off your premium if we apply the JRT owner discount". My point is, although the coverage part of the service is pretty straightforward how they decide what you pay for a premium seems to be intentionally vague, confusing and almost random.

The other thing that really bothers me about car insurance is every time I get a speeding ticket they remove my "Safe driver discount" and my premium jumps. I've been with Progressive for over 20 years and I have never been in an accident. I think that is a way better metric to use to determine if I'm a safe driver. Being a fast driver and a safe driver are not mutually exclusive.

End of rant.
Typical. We’ve found switching insurance companies often gets you better rates.

I think this is why Geico is so confident they can save you money. Most people don’t want to mess with changing plans or calling up the company and chasing random discounts.