sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
model 3
Occupation
yolo'r
Country flag
Just a casual day going over CT recap videos got me curious and caught my attention. Did you guys notice it looks like the side sail storage is gone and maybe we have a Side Panel opener instead.

1. This Pic showed at the Debut
Tesla Cybertruck Tesla Killed the Side Toolbox storage at least on these prototypes Side sail storage.PNG

2. This new prototype at tesla giga texas shows one smooth panel with no gaps

Tesla Cybertruck Tesla Killed the Side Toolbox storage at least on these prototypes no gaps.PNG

3. Here is an even closer picture if that side sail was there you would see a gap partition line like the one between doors.
Tesla Cybertruck Tesla Killed the Side Toolbox storage at least on these prototypes One piece panel.PNG

4. This was the earlier prototype drone footage with BAW still no panel gaps suggesting one piece panel.
Tesla Cybertruck Tesla Killed the Side Toolbox storage at least on these prototypes Toolbox storage_ Side Sail door.PNG

5. maybe the entire panel goes up but with the charge port door not sure but would look badass

Tesla Cybertruck Tesla Killed the Side Toolbox storage at least on these prototypes side panel opener 2.PNG

6. this design will help when it rains.

Tesla Cybertruck Tesla Killed the Side Toolbox storage at least on these prototypes side panel opener.PNG
Sponsored

Last edited:

Macgyverfever

First Name
Regular Don-Won
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MYP BLUE/WHITE, M3RWD GRAY/BLACK
Occupation
Multifaceted IT Professional
Country flag
Hmmm first off I never noticed the side panel (now that you've pointed it out, I WANT IT!)

Secondly, I dunno if they would've necessarily had to add it to the prototype at this point? Is this the final design?

Albern

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Chevrolet Volt, 202X Cybertruck Plaid+ (x2)
Country flag
Keep in mind that the recent prototypes are not feature-complete which is common. If the feature is slated for production, then sail pillar storage might start to appear in later engineering or validation prototypes.

Deleted member 12457

If Tesla wants the CT to replace working trucks they'll need to figure out how to allow typical bed topper. Even camper shells will need adjustments. Yes, someone will design new pickup truck bed accessories but every one of them negates the use of the retractable tonneau cover, which means Tesla might need a secondary CT without the tonneau cover and maybe even a radical change to the rear of the CT. This absolutely will change the engineering needed to produce a sturdy vehicle.

This type would require the removal of the tailgate and major adjustments to the design to fit the sloped bed sides. It might also require changes to the rear suspension. I know these things are heavy and my Tacoma without air-springs/shocks would bottom out while it's suspended above the truck (/s) but I see way too many pickups porpoising when towing and carrying these types of accessories. The CT should be able to easily level everything out so maybe it won't be a problem.

Tesla Cybertruck Tesla Killed the Side Toolbox storage at least on these prototypes iu-3

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
If Tesla wants the CT to replace working trucks they'll need to figure out how to allow typical bed topper.

…
I think the Cybertruck is the truck for 80% of people. They aren’t chasing the deeper niches.

There are a lot of work trucks out there, and most lack the side cabinets and built in tool boxes.

Slide out drawers are pretty rad for a lot of this stuff.

Tesla Cybertruck Tesla Killed the Side Toolbox storage at least on these prototypes 1646852423877

I think these would work well with the rolling vault cover.

Dirt Worker

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair Corsa, Mini Cooper, T880 Kenworth, CT
Occupation
Excavation Company
Country flag
I don't have a !@#$ to give about a tool box in the hip pocket of a pickup. Next subject please.

MiguelAznar

First Name
Miguel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck 3-motor
Country flag
I think the Cybertruck is the truck for 80% of people. They aren’t chasing the deeper niches.

There are a lot of work trucks out there, and most lack the side cabinets and built in tool boxes.

1646852423877.jpeg

What’s this a photo of?

Deleted member 12457

1646852423877.jpeg

Yes and no. They have limited vertical space and from what I've researched for my Tacoma take up a lot of room for the slider. It's interesting they show a sliding mitre saw. My DeWalt with stand attachments (not shown in photo) won't fit under my Diamondback HD. I know Ford/GMC/RAM all have higher sides but I challenge any current full-size truck owner to tell me how they would even get to the stuff in the middle without a step stool or ladder.

I picked an enclosed, commercial bed topper because I feel Tesla is going to sell CTs to utility companies, electricians, plumbers and other trade users who want as much enclosed storage as they can get. They also don't want to pull out a fully loaded 6+ foot bed, hoping it won't collapse. Most of these users won't need a 300 mile range but will definitely use the AC power capabilities of the CT if for nothing else than to charge and run their tools. That's isn't a battery-operated mitre saw in the photo.

I remember discussing the tonneau cover storage location and a potential passthru to the bed. Does the tonneau cover roll up low enough to give access to the bed? Will there be an option to remove the rear seats, converting it to more storage? I tried to find a website that gave a percentage or "working" trucks vs marginally-working trucks and didn't find one quickly. I did find this article, https://www.thedrive.com/news/26907/you-dont-need-a-full-size-pickup-truck-you-need-a-cowboy-costume, that will make a lot of us mad (insert various words) but when you think about the author is right for a lot of truck owners. Personally, I do tow several times a year, I do remove my tonneau cover and carry a heavy lead in the bed, I put all sorts of things on my roof rack including a rooftop tent, so I'm in the low percentage of users who actually use a truck for what it's made for.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Yes and no. They have limited vertical space and from what I've researched for my Tacoma take up a lot of room for the slider. It's interesting they show a sliding mitre saw. My DeWalt with stand attachments (not shown in photo) won't fit under my Diamondback HD. I know Ford/GMC/RAM all have higher sides but I challenge any current full-size truck owner to tell me how they would even get to the stuff in the middle without a step stool or ladder.
In the photo, you can see they have a cap on the truck. So the saw would fit fine… but no chance the tools would look all nice and organized after stop and go traffic or any kind of bumpy job site.

There are a lot of drawer systems, some have multiple shelves. I suspect we’ll see some designed specifically for the Cybertruck before long.

Mostly, I agree with you though. The Cybertruck is not as versatile as a classic pickup truck. It’s meant to be an 80% solution. They can either attack the rest of the market with a separate product late or cede the more demanding users to Ford/ GM.

I would be fine with a van or a 4Runner type SUV with a nice big box on the back. I suspect lots of reservation holders are just looking for a big versatile vehicle with lots of storage as opposed to a pickup specifically.

This is good. It leaves lots of room for Ford, Rivian, and GM to play in. In fact I suspect a lot of people will buy the Cybertruck and realize after a year or 2 that a big truck thing isn’t for them or that it’s not versatile enough and switch to something else which comes available later on.

I picked an enclosed, commercial bed topper because I feel Tesla is going to sell CTs to utility companies, electricians, plumbers and other trade users who want as much enclosed storage as they can get.
I think a lot of these users would still be well served with the Cybertruck, particularly if the sail pillar storage ships and is useful. Between those, the vault, and the frunk, the Cybertruck has a lot of useful and partitioned storage.

I also think the idea of converting the rear seats into modular storage is a fantastic idea. Would really bring a lot more utility to these guys.

I suggest above… the Cybertruck isn’t every man’s truck. It’s most people’s truck. There is a lot of room for other players. Which is fine.
Sponsored